Studies show that the spend on IP Litigation is growing. Many of the law firms we serve are encountering more complex and riskier cases, even though the actual number of matters being litigated is down. The stakes are higher, with 1 in 5 being “bet-the-company” or “high-risk”* and the impact on litigators is great. The annual spend on IP Litigation matters has grown substantially: in 2005, $1.7 B was spent, in 2019 it was $3.3 B*. Interestingly enough, the Morrison & Foerster 2019 study showed that some of this increase is due to new technologies blurring the line between industries and, as a result, patents that were once relevant to just one industry now apply to a number of different industries and companies are being drawn into a broader range of disputes.
This has created a situation where having the right expert, when one is needed, has become even more important. Based on our work finding experts for such cases, some of litigators’ largest roadblocks to successful outcomes are dealing with engaging the right expert witness:
- Finding, vetting, and managing professionals with very specific expertise takes a lot of time and effort.
- Court schedules create challenging deadlines putting you under the gun.
- Untested experts create major headaches when you’re in the middle of deposition or testimony.
- Agency experts may not be specific enough – agencies may only offer a limited selection of experts, unvetted experts, and/or customer service is often lacking.
The most effective patent litigators have a trusted source in their back pocket that can deliver the right expert, fast, and vetted. Expert ENGINE experts go through a multipoint vetting process to ensure they are genuine experts and fit the needs of your case, including:
- Work History
- Awards and Recognition
- Licenses and Certifications
- Publications and Presentations
- Associations and Societies
- Expert Witness Experience
- Defense and/or Plaintiff Experience
- Previous Daubert Challenges
- Patents Held
- Peer References
We also maintain a panel of thousands of pre-vetted, peer-recommended experts, saving even more time getting to the right expert.
Our experts are used for:
- Detailed expert reports
- Expert modelling/testing of contested processes
- Expert case strategy advice
- Expert review of patent portfolios, client technologies and prior art
- Deposition and testimony
And we stay involved to support your firm and the expert:
- Finding secondary experts
- Further vetting qualifications and expert witness experience
- Clearing conflicts
- Screening calls
- Processing contracts and invoices
- Fast response
Would you like to talk with us about how we can remove your headaches around finding and vetting qualified experts for your IP litigation cases? Contact us now, either via phone at 1-800-833-8055, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fill out our contact form here: https://www.expertengine.com/contact/.
*from Morrison-Foerster Benchmarking IP in 2019