Expert in ASME Codes, Nondestructive Testing
Expert ID: 733485 Massachusetts, USA
Engineering professional with over forty years industrial and pressure systems experience including materials, design, fabrication, testing, inspection, and nondestructive examination (NDE). Activities include technology development, personnel and technique qualification, performance, and program implementation. Active on American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Code committees.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Boston MA - New York NY - Montreal CA
|Year: 1989||Degree: Masters||Subject: Applied Management – Human Factors in NDE||Institution: Lesley College|
|Year: 1984||Degree: Bachelor of Science||Subject: Materials||Institution: University of Massachusetts - Amherst|
|Years: 2000 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Engineering Consultant / NDE Level III/ Sr. CWI||Department:||Responsibilities: Engineering and consulting service provider in power generation, petro-chemical, environmental integrity and containment, gas and
liquid transportation, aviation and aerospace, structural and communications infrastructure related to nondestructive examination,
inspection and regulation, code and specification compliance.
Consultant to ASME, providing NDE training through ASME Training and Development
NDE technical expert and consultant to the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Research Institute for Nuclear Power
Operation, Wuhan China
Consult, develop and deliver basic and advanced NDE training at Hudson Valley Community College, Amarillo Community College
and clients throughout the US including General Electric, Westinghouse, Lockheed Martin, NASA, Boeing, Entergy, US Navy,
Federal Highway Department, URS Washington Group, Goodrich, Shaw Group, Ducommun AeroStructures, Chart Industries and
others under nondisclosure agreements.
|Years: 2012 to 2014||Employer: ZETEC zNDT||Title: Application Development /Corporate Level III||Department:||Responsibilities: Applications development and equipment design for next generation phased array and TOFD ultrasonic systems.|
|Years: 2010 to 2012||Employer: Rockwood Service Corp||Title: Corporate Level III / Technical Services Director||Department:||Responsibilities: Oversee technology for staff of ~3000, divided among Rockwood’s holdings – Acuren, Sperry Rail, Hellier and RAT. Responsible to
COO and QA Director for advanced program development, employee development and technology enhancement.
• NDE Consultant to Brookhaven National Laboratory and Armenian nuclear regulator
• Technical Services Director developing advanced technical products and training for the Rockwood group.
• Developed and qualified advanced ultrasonic and digital radiographic programs for US Navy, BP, Shell, Exon, Suncor, Enbridge &
Dow-Corning as well as pipeline integrity programs. Assisted in rollout of the largest US flat-panel digital radiography program
|Years: 1989 to 2007||Employer: KAPL - GE/Lockheed Martin Co.||Title: Advisory Engineer – Materials Development||Department:||Responsibilities: Provided guidance and oversight in development activities of an NDE laboratory staff of up to forty engineers designing, developing,
qualifying, and applying NDE processes and equipment for the U.S. Departments of Energy and Defense.
Technology leader for advanced fabrication and inspection technologies – digital radiography and phased array ultrasonics.
Developed and administered advanced NDE system procurements and startups, including automated phased array and conventional
ultrasonics, digital radiography, and micro-focus computed tomography.
Cognizant for all pressurized systems and equipment ASME Code and safety compliance.
Participate in industry committees to formulate NDE programs and standards in the nuclear industry.
Developed and published risk-informed guidance for inspection program development.
Active in laboratory wide evaluations and initiatives targeting improved organizational performance.
|Years: 1982 to 1989||Employer: Yankee Atomic Electric Co.||Title: Principal Engineer – Mechanical Services||Department:||Responsibilities: Designed, developed, qualified, and applied nondestructive test processes to monitor plant reliability.
Developed and administered NDE training used throughout the world through the Electric Power Research Institute's NDE Center.
Planned, staffed, and managed thirteen commercial nuclear plant re-fueling and preservice inspection programs.
Participated in industry committees to formulate NDE programs and standards in the nuclear industry.
|Years: 1978 to 1982||Employer: Factory Mutual Engineering||Title: Authorized Nuclear Inservice Inspector Supervisor||Department:||Responsibilities: National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors (NB B&PVI) licensed in eight states. Certified for ASME Code nuclear and non-nuclear fabrication and nuclear inservice inspection activities.
Appointed to home office staff to supervise, audit and monitor ASME Code compliance at commercial nuclear and non-nuclear power plants and heavy industry throughout the US.
|Years: 1974 to 1978||Employer: General Dynamics – EB Div||Title: Nuclear Quality Assurance Inspector||Department:||Responsibilities: Conducted NDE and quality inspections throughout construction of a government nuclear power project.|
|Years: 1989 to 2007||Agency: USDoD / USDoE||Role: Manager / Principal Engineer||Description: Technical leader for nondestuctive examination system development and deployment.|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: China / Wuhan||Summary: Consultant to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) introducing phased array ultrasonics to the Chinese Institute of Nuclear Power Operations (RINPO).|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: China / Beijing||Summary: Consultant to the American Petroleum Institute (API) administering personnel certification exams in the ultrasonic test method.|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: Armenia / Yeravan||Summary: Consultant to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Brookhaven National Laboratory reviewing international reactor inspection protocol with the local nuclear regulator.|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: Canada / Quebec City||Summary: Advanced UT system development engineer and advisor to Zetec Inc|
|Associations / Societies|
|American Welding Society (AWS)
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT)
American Society for Nondestructive Testing
• Regional 2 Director – NY/NJ/Eastern PA
• Organizer - ASNT Topical Conference, Digital Imaging and
Ultrasonics for NDT
• American Society of Mechanical Engineers
• American Society for Nondestructive Testing - Regional Director/Section Director
• American Welding Society
• The British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Certifications • ACCP Level III, MT, PT, VT and UT
ASNT Level III MT, PT, UT, VT and RT
|ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
• Member – Section V Standards Committee
• Member -- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Special Working Group
• Member --Full Matrix Capture Special Working Group
• Member – Section V Sub-Group Surface Examination
• Member – Section V Sub-Group Volumetric Examination
• Member – Project Team for Section V Reorganization
• Member – Working Group Ultrasonics
• Member – Special Working Group – Eddy Current Arrays
• Chairman -- Special Working Group Advanced UT Techniques
• Chairman – Committee for NDE and QC Personnel Certification
• Member – ANDE Nuclear Specific Industry Sector Committee
• Member – ANDE Certification Committee
• NB B&PVI Commission with B, N, I, and S endorsements
• Additional certifications - EPRI Ultrasonic IGSCC Detection, Sizing, Weld Overlay and Visual Level III,
• ASME NDE Certification Committee - Subject Matter Expert – Ultrasonics, Radiography, Liquid Penetrant and Magnetic Particle
• Southern Association of Colleges and Schools recognized instructor
• Qualified for phased array performance to API, Shell and BP standards
|Awards / Recognition|
• Lockheed Martin General Managers Award – Field Deployment of Advanced UT Sizing Technology
• Lockheed Martin Merit Awards – Automated Inspection System Field Deployment & Innovative Technique Development and Deployment
• ASNT Mohawk-Hudson Section “Distinguished Service” Award
• American Society for Nondestructive Testing – Fellow
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Limited to written opinions lead|
|Training / Seminars|
|PROFESSIONAL TRAINING HIGHLIGHTS
• EPRI NDE Center IGSCC Series
• NB B&PVI “N”, “I”, & “S” endorsement training
• EPRI NDE Center Visual Examination Technology
• Engineering Statistics
• EPRI Risk-informed Inservice Inspection
• Statistical Design of Experiments
• ASME B31.1, 3, 4, 8 and 8S Seminars
• Kepner-Tregoe Problem Solving
• ASME Bolted Connection Seminar
• GE Management Development Series
• Engineering Acoustics – Penn State
• Basic and Intermediate ACCESS, EXCEL and WORD
• MAI LIII Training in digital radiography
• Lavender Advanced PAUT and TomoView
• Lockheed Martin - Lean Processes /Six-sigma Programs
• University of UT – Complete Series