Expert in Cloud Computing, Digital Media, Multichannel Video Program Distribution, Distributed Computing
Expert ID: 731378 Maryland, USA
“The Employer introduced us to one of its larger professional services Member companies with whom we held a brief series of meetings. As a result of these meetings, we were introduced by the larger company to the global industry leader in our space and are now involved in strategic partnering negotiations. All this in a few short months. The value of our Employer Membership has been recouped manifold times.”
– A new software application provider*
“We approached the Employer with a focused assignment assessing providers of a particular type of new technology. The organization responded in short order with a workable slate of best-of-breed candidates from among hundreds of potential targets touting expertise in this area. Within weeks, we entered due diligence with our selected choice and consummated a multi-million dollar strategic investment and commercial alliance.”
– A large international telecommunications industry leader*
“On a recent multi-meeting trip to the US for our CEO, the Employer arranged more meetings with analysts, the media, and the press than our PR firm, plus helped us with our positioning and message points, and arranged several conference speaking engagements for us. We determined that we no longer needed to have a PR firm – just our Employer Membership.”
– An overseas technology specialty firm*
“The Employer helped with the development of our business plan and private placement memorandum (PPM) by providing industry data and research information. Then the Employer helped us with our PPT presentation based on them. The Employer helped us identify strategic investors. Finally, the Employer gave candid assessments of our business to targeted venture capital firms resulting in our closing a multi-million dollar round of financing.”
– A three-year old start-up company*
|Year: 1972||Degree: MFA||Subject: Producing & Directing||Institution: Yale University|
|Years: 2003 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: CEO||Department: Corporate|
Responsibilities:▪ Grew new digital technology sector trade association from two to more than 150 Member companies in 10 years.
▪ Created organizational structure and by-laws, recruited core staff, forged strategic international relationships.
▪ Developed online resource at www.Employer.info integrating search capabilities to chronicle industry development.
▪ Oversaw series of quarterly association meetings growing from 15 attendees to more than 200 participants.
▪ Conducted live demonstrations of secure distributed computing technologies for Members of Congress and staffs.
▪ Implemented Consumer Disclosures Working Group (CDWG) working with Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
▪ Launched P2P PATROL (Peer-to-Peer Parents And Teens React On Line) with Department of Justice (DOJ).
▪ Provided witnesses and testimony for six Senate and House Commerce and Judiciary Committee hearings.
▪ Oversaw strategy and production of 43 amicus briefs for landmark MGM v. Grokster Supreme Court case.
▪ Supported business development including financings and strategic deal-making among Member companies.
▪ Created quarterly trade conferences and expo events to supplement association revenue beyond Member dues.
▪ Created and published weekly ‘DCINFO’ industry newsletter, growing to more than 8,500 opt-in circulation.
|Years: 2002 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Managing Partner||Department: Corporate|
Responsibilities:▪ Oversaw conversion of Distributed Computing Standards Coalition (DCSC) through formation of the Employer.
▪ Developed strategy for development and distribution of animated feature-length film based on ‘St. Mulligan.’
▪ Obtained cable distribution agreements for pilots of Guerilla Productions’ ‘The Wrench’ weekly half-hour.
▪ Provided programming and scheduling strategies for Tele-Consultants’ ‘StreamTalk’ Internet radio concept.
▪ Consulted on viewership retention tactics to capitalize on MSNBC’s coverage of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
▪ Secured $1.8 million National Parks Service production services agreement for collegiate videographers.
|Years: 2000 to 2002||Employer: Zoom Culture||Title: President & CEO||Department: Corporate|
Responsibilities:▪ Transformed year-old dotcom into thriving member-originated DTV production/distribution firm in 24 months.
▪ Raised $9.6 million of private equity financing in two rounds of funding from new and existing investors.
▪ Increased revenues from all sources and reduced aggregate expenses for eight consecutive quarters.
▪ Created variable-cost all-digital production processes greatly reducing program costs vs. traditional methods.
▪ Recruited 600 contributing videographers to purchase standardized equipment (Sony cameras, Apple editors).
▪ Oversaw implementation of co-branded and cross-promoted streaming-video web channels for all properties.
▪ Developed new weekly half-hour series as NBC co-production through rollout to TV stations in 100 markets.
▪ Earned ratings double closest timeslot competitor (3.0/10) and higher than year-ago sweeps in all markets.
▪ Developed biweekly program series distributed by Fox Sports International to 25 million viewers worldwide.
▪ Produced primetime special with presenting sponsor Marshalls and national broadcast partner PAX TV.
|Years: 1999 to 2000||Employer: StreamSearch.com||Title: Chief Marketing Officer||Department: Corporate|
Responsibilities:▪ Served as company’s chief negotiator with alliance partners, sponsors, and leading video content providers.
▪ Supervised company’s internal and external advertising, promotion, media relations, and sales resources.
▪ Oversaw site redesign, relaunch, and daily updates featuring new editorial content blocks and page formats.
▪ Achieved a quintuple increase in unique visitors and tripling of page-views-per-visit with a single campaign.
▪ Responsible for marketing/content expense budgets, as well as all of company’s revenue generating activities.
|Years: 1994 to 1999||Employer: FutureVison - TelQuest||Title: President||Department: Corporate|
Responsibilities:▪ Responsible for developing B2B&B2C marketing plans and executing $10 million new media company launch.
▪ Negotiated carriage agreements for 200 channels of broadcast stations and cable programming services.
▪ Oversaw product development, sales and marketing, penetrating 65-80% of households in FV service areas.
▪ Promoted to president after 11 months; supervised acquisition of company by Verizon.
|Associations / Societies|
|Distributed Computing Industry Association (Employer)
Cloud Computing Association (CCA)
|Awards / Recognition|
|Intellectual Property, Information Policy & Internet Protocol (IP3) Award Nominee 2005
Council for Entrepreneurial Development Award 2001
Chairman, International Digital Satellite Television Symposium – IIR 1997
Membership Chairman - Interactive Services Association 1994
Vice Chairman - Satellite Broadcasting & Communications Association 1988
Tami Award - Cable Television Administration & Marketing Society 1985
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Executive Editor of Weekly DCINFO - 7/03 - NOW|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Served as expert witness in Spanish Supreme Court for software developer Pablo Soto defendant in case brought by recording industry plaintiffs regarding use of software for copyright infringement. Soto was victorious.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Conduct award-winning quarterly seminars on cloud computing adoption for industry at standalone and co-located events including CES, NAB Show, Digital Hollywood, etc.|
|Regularly consult for large multi-national corporations in their evaluation of high-tech start-ups for investment, acquisition, other strategic alliances.|
|Through our weekly online newsletter DCINFO, we closely track and analyze cloud computing industry developments.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Special area of expertise based on decades of experience in television industry prior to transitioning to high-tech: multichannel video program distribution business models, programming carriage rights, high-value content production.|