Expert in Composites Materials (Applications, Processing, Manufacturing), Solid Mechanics, Material Science and Mechanical Testing
Expert ID: 738085 North Carolina, USA
Expert in mechanics of materials, material science and static-and-dynamic mechanical and testing of materials utilizing relevant ASTM, ISO, UL, ANSI and MIL-SPEC test methods. Skilled use of universal test equipment and software and for mechanical testing. Experience designing laboratory test equipment and retrofitting full-scale composite production equipment.
• Complex Problem Solving
• Product and Process Troubleshooting
• Personnel Manager
• Project/Product Manager
• Mechanical & Analytical Testing
• Design Engineering
• CAD & 3D Solid Modeling
• Closed Form Analysis
• FEA & Simulation
• Mechanical, Thermal, Fluid, Basic Electrical
• Programming & Software
• Capital Expense Projects
• Team Building & Mentoring
• Safety Conscious
|Year: 1998||Degree: PhD||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: North Carolina State University|
|Year: 1993||Degree: MS||Subject: Civil Engineering||Institution: Colorado State University|
|Year: 1990||Degree: BS||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: University of Colorado|
|Years: 2019 to 2022||Employer: Cornerstone Building Brands||Title: Direct of R&D and Testing||Department: Foundation Labs - Insight Center|
Responsibilities:The Expert was responsible for managing Foundation Lab’s R&D operations for Residential-Building New-Product-Development and managing the mechanical and analytical testing laboratory. He was responsible for advanced testing, simulation, prototyping, quality assurance & quality control testing for scale-up and product launch, continuous laboratory improvement, cost reduction and safety.
• Reported to CBB’s Innovation Officer for Residential and Commercial Building Products.
• 6 direct reports and 6 indirect reports.
• Managed Foundation Lab’s mechanical and analytical testing laboratory.
• Managed Foundation Lab’s R&D operations (added responsibility).
• Reduced CBB testing expenditures by optimizing internal and 3rd party testing and leveraging testing resources throughout CBB with an annual $1MM+ in cost avoidance. Grew Foundation Lab’s testing capabilities by identifying test equipment, methods, procedures and best practices that support continuous laboratory improvement. Developed internal test methods.
• Supported new product development and CBB business units with advanced testing, simulation and prototyping. Supported scale-up and product launch with quality assurance and quality control testing. Recommend test equipment and methods to support transition of product quality from development to production.
• Identified and led specific Foundation Labs Residential R&D projects and supported additional R&D and testing efforts in CBB’s Residential and Commercial business units. Investigated new technologies including products, materials, equipment and processes that supported NPD. Reviewed 3rd party and start-up technologies.
• Troubleshot material and process issues with new & existing products. Provide material, process and testing
recommendations to facilitate product development, cost reduction and assist with the resolution of quality, warranty or field issues.
• Developed safety programs with 3rd party aid and supported laboratory safety through training, use of standard operating procedures, proper equipment and identification and implementation of best practices.
• Utilized continuous-belt forming manufacturing processes with thermoset polymer systems and extrusion process with thermoplastic systems.
• Employed SCRUM agile methodology for NPD.
|Years: 1994 to 2019||Employer: Reichhold Chemicals||Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer||Department: Composites|
Responsibilities:The Expert was a Technical Service Representative providing product, process and engineering support to large scale composite manufacturers including Wind Energy (Blade & Nacelle), Commercial and Residential Construction, Automotive & Marine. He supported existing and new product development with his expertise in vacuum infusion, resin transfer molding, compression molding of SMC/BMC, pultrusion, filament winding, casting, spray-up and hand lay-up and his applied knowledge of thermoset polymer resin chemistry (including resin synthesis, formulating and compounding for fiber reinforced plastics). The expert managed a state-of-the-art ISO 9001 mechanical testing laboratory performing static & dynamic mechanical & material testing using relevant ASTM, ISO, UL, ANSI and Mil-Spec test methods. He also designed laboratory equipment and retrofit full-scale composite production equipment.
• Designed, setup and managed a state-of-the-art ISO 9001 accredited mechanical testing laboratory with 4 direct reports. Performed static and dynamic testing using ASTM and ISO methods and provided analysis and
interpretation of test results. Also performed UL, ANSI, MIL-SPEC & custom testing. Skilled use of universal test
equipment, software and methods for mechanical testing.
• Technical service representative serving large scale composite manufacturers including Wind Energy (Blade &
Nacelle), Commercial and Residential Construction, Automotive & Marine. Customer focused product and process development, trials, scale-up and manufacturing support.
• Product, process and engineering technical support to Polynt / Reichhold’s technical staff, manufacturing facilities (R&D, pilot plant, scale up, production) and customers.
• Demonstrated knowledge of composites fabrication techniques and equipment for vacuum infusion, RTM,
compression molding of SMC/BMC, pultrusion, filament winding, casting (static & rotational), spray-up and hand lay-up. Skilled use of laboratory and composites production equipment.
• Applied knowledge of polymer resin chemistry including thermoset polymer resin synthesis, resin formulating and compounding for fiber reinforced plastics and safety & chemical hygiene (PPE, SDS).
• Planning and execution of capital expense projects such as equipment retrofit, equipment design, selection and purchase of laboratory and test equipment.
• Custom equipment design and equipment retrofit with selection and installation of controllers, sensors, actuators, data acquisition systems and custom software development for operating and monitoring molding processes, monitoring in-process polymer synthesis reactions, measurement of real-time cure shrinkage and determination of resin gel & cure properties.
|Associations / Societies|
|Tau Beta Pi – National Engineering Honor Society
Pi Tau Sigma – International Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Awards / Recognition|
|ACMA/CAMX - Awarded best paper in testing and materials categories including "The Effect of Fracture Toughening a Thermoset Resin on the Fracture Toughness of a Fiber-Reinforced Laminate” and “Impact Properties of Polyester Resins”.|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
• 11 publications (Composites and Advanced Materials Expo, American Composite Manufactures Association & the Society of the Plastics Industry).
• 3 publications (Journal of Applied Mechanics, Journal of Solids and Structures and Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures)
|Extensive experience identifying and working with material and equipment vendors.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Quick study with software, programming languages, mechatronics, processes and equipment.
• CNC machining using WinCNC, Cut2DPro and 3D SLA printing (Formlabs PreForm).
▪ Windows, Mac & UNIX OS. MS Office, Visual Basic, Visual C++, CAD (Solid Works, AutoCAD / Inventor), FEA (Ansys, Solid Works, Inventor), Data Acquisition (LabView), MATLAB and FORTRAN.
▪ SAP for production BOMs, costing, scheduling, ordering and material management.
▪ Frontline for MOC and LMS operations.
▪ Confluence for global technical collaboration.
▪ Minitab for design of experiments.
• Analytical methods – understanding of the basic operation and results of NMR, GC/MS, FTIR, GPC, DMA, TMA, TGA, DSC & Rheometer
Fields of Expertise
mechanical engineering, Composites, composite material, Material Science, new product development, pultrusion, compression molding, filament winding, vacuum infusion, resin transfer molding, VARTM / RTM, SMC/BMC, solid mechanics, mechanics of materials, composite material testing, laminate material testing, mechanical testing, material testing, ASTM Testing, ISO Testing