Expert in Cost Analysis, Cost Allocation, Time Motion Studies, Operations Research, and Simulation
Expert ID: 735906 Virginia, USA
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: washington, DC - Charlotte, NC - Roanoke, VA - Raleigh, NC
|Year: 2004||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Wood Products Technology/Industrial Engineering||Institution: Purdue University|
|Year: 2001||Degree: MS||Subject: Wood Products Technology/Industrial Engineering||Institution: Purdue University|
|Year: 1990||Degree: BS||Subject: Industrial Engineering||Institution: Costa Rica Institute of Technology (TEC)|
|Years: 2017 to 2018||Employer: White & Company LLC||Title:||Department:||Responsibilities: Technical translation of software Best Pallet|
|Years: 2016 to 2018||Employer: IMS/PECO||Title: Expert Witness||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Employer: USDA/FAS||Title:||Department:||Responsibilities: Review of the US Hardwood Industry for Fellows|
|Years: 2013 to 2013||Employer: PeaceWorks||Title:||Department:||Responsibilities: Financial Management Training. Orange Walk, Belize
|Years: 2005 to 2008||Employer: Rainforest Alliance||Title:||Department:||Responsibilities: Secondary Wood Products Specialist. Project leader in Honduras, Guatemala and US (work-shop material) on Supply Management Issues
|Years: 2008 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Associate Professor||Department: Sustainable Biomaterials||Responsibilities: Research
• Lean Management
• Sustainable Manufacturing Systems
• Supply Chain Management Optimization
• Strategic Marketing for International Markets
• Assist the VA primary and secondary wood products
industry in dissemination of knowledge in the area of
sustainable innovation management
SBIO 3464 Forest Products Business Systems: Class focus
on Strategic, Financial, Human resources and Ethic and
Relationships issues for wood products industries.
• SBIO 5614 Forest Products Marketing and Management
• SBIO 3954. Global Issues in Sustainability. Study abroad
course traveling to Costa Rica and focus on wood products
manufacturing, forestry, water management, and ecotourism
|Years: 2008 to 2014||Employer: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University||Title: Assistant Professor||Department: Department of Sustainable Biomaterials||Responsibilities: Research
• Product Engineering
• Manufacturing Systems
• Innovation processes
• International marketing
• Environmental impact of renewable materials
• Logistics and Supply Chain Management
• Assist the $25 billion VA wood products industry in addressing manufacturing and business management issues in order to increase their levels of competitiveness
• SBIO 3464 Forest Products Business Systems: Class focus on Strategic, Financial, Human resources and Ethic and Relationships issues for wood products industries.
• SBIO 3954. Global Issues in Sustainability. Study abroad course traveling to Costa Rica and focus on wood products manufacturing, forestry, water management, and ecotourism
• SBIO 5614. Forest Products Marketing and Management .
Graduate level class that covers advanced business and marketing topics with focus on forest-based industries
|Years: 2004 to 2008||Employer: Costa Rica Tech||Title: Associate Professor||Department: Industrial Engineering||Responsibilities: Research and Teaching at the School of Industrial Production
• Supply Chain Management
• Innovation Process
• Manufacturing Systems
• Bachelor Level
o (PI 5402) Manufacturing Automation. Introduction to Automation, CNC, CAD and CAM software utilization. Also cell manufacturing, lean manufacturing.
• Master Engineering Level
o (MM-1102). Flexible Manufacturing Systems. Application of PLC, Robotics, CAD-CAM and CNC. Master Level
o (MM-1402). Productivity and Quality: Introduction to new master students program to lean concepts, quality systems, and supply chain issues.
o (MM-2408) Process Redesign. Analysis of manufacturing
|Years: 2000 to 2004||Employer: Purdue University||Title: Graduate Research Assistant||Department:||Responsibilities: • Teaching of FNR 484 and FNR 425. Design for CNC Manufacturing. Use of CAD and CAM software for product development and product manufacturing. Operation of CNC router.
• Design and Development of a Total Quality Management tool for defining Company Strategy based on Critical Success Factors.
• Performing of several Quantitative Analysis Researches for US Furniture Industry.
• Diagnosis, Analysis and Recommendation of Solutions for several Furniture Manufacturing Plants at the Operation Management Level.
• Design, Development and Implementation of a Manufacturing System for Construction of School Furniture.
• Development of an Optimization Module for a Rough Mill’s Cutting Bill using Linear Optimization.
• Development of an Information System for Rough Mill Analysis in Visual Basic.
• Assisting faculty members in research projects, extension activities, and class material preparations.
|Years: 2000 to 2000||Employer: Mail Inc. Co.||Title: System Analyst/Programmer||Department:||Responsibilities: • Designed, developed and implemented an Automatic Billing System
• Designed and developed a module to control truck routes for mail delivery
• Designed and developed a module to verify correctness of mail weight.
|Years: 1998 to 1999||Employer: Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica (Costa Rica Tech)||Title: Instructor||Department:||Responsibilities: Teaching at the School of Industrial Production Engineering.
• (PI 2603) Statistics I and (PI 3604) Statistics II: Introduction to Probability and application of Statistics to solve Business and Manufacturing Applications
• (PI 3402) Computational Algorithms for Business and Manufacturing I: Use of programming software such as Visual Basic to develop Solutions for Business and Manufacturing Applications.
• (PI 3403) Management of Information Systems:
Introduction to MIS, Conceptualization of Models. Introduction, development, and implementation of IS.
• (PI 5402) Manufacturing Automation. Introduction to Automation, CNC, CAD and CAM software utilization. Also cell manufacturing, lean manufacturing.
• (PI 4307) Statically Quality Control: TQM tools, Qualitative Data Analysis, Statistical Process Control and Sampling.
|Years: 1996 to 1998||Employer: La Nacion||Title: Plant Manager||Department: Commercial Printing||Responsibilities: Supervise printing operation of commercial unit of newspaper La Nacion. Duties included: scheduling, production planning, inventory control, and distribution.
• Directly supervised more than 100 plant workers.
• Development of Incentive Systems for plant workers. Based on early job completion and material savings.
• Implementation of Tracking System Software for Production Control. On time deliveries went up from 85% to 95%.
• Improvement of the Plant Scheduling System. Cycle time was reduced from 2 week to 1 week.
• Design of a Quality Control System.
• Creation of Departmental Supervising Positions.
• Design, Development and Implementation of an Inventory Control System.
|Awards / Recognition|
|Association of Southern Regional Extension Directors Southern Regional Extension Forestry Extension Award. Online Book Chapter Category with a Bronze Distinction.
Virginia Tech: Teacher of the week Nomination by the Center for Instructional Development and Educational Research in recognition for outstanding teaching effectiveness
Virginia Tech: Scholar of the week. Recognition for outstanding research in the area of renewable materials and continuous improvement
Costa Rica Tech: Best Research Proposal Internal research competition at the Vice-Rectory of Research and Extension
Costa Rica Tech: Outstanding Professor. Acknowledgment for outstanding performance as teacher and researcher for the Bachelor and Master degree program at the School of Production Engineering
USA Department of Commerce’s E-business Fellow: Information Technologies for Small and Médium Enterprises and their Relationship with Supply Chain Management Issues Washington, DC; Seattle, WA, San Ana, CA. USA.
Teaching Assistant, Purdue University: Ph.D. in Wood Products Technology
Society of Wood Science and Technology: First place in student poster Competition
Seeburguer Scholarship, Purdue University: M.Sc. in Wood Products Technology
Gamma Sigma Delta (Honor Society): Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Membership in recognition of high scholarship, outstanding achievement and service
Bill and Helen Swain Forest Wood Products Award: Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN Membership in recognition of high scholarship, outstanding
achievement and service
Taiwan Technical Cooperation Program Fellowship: Precision Machinery Training Kaohsiung, Taiwan.
Full Scholarship, Instituto Tecnológico de Costa Rica: BS in Industrial Production Engineering
|Medical / Professional|
|1. BioProducts Business. Editorial Board Member
2. Board Member. Society of Wood Science and Technology
3. Society of Wood Science and Technology. Member of the Education and
4. Decision Science Institute. My Role: Session Chair. Session 70. Lean and Quality: Process Improvement Programs. Adoption and Performance Considerations. Decision Science Institute Convention. Tampa, FL. Organization Type: Professional Society
5. Consortium for Research on Renewable Industrial Materials. Board member.
6. Session Chair. Session 3. Marketing. Forest Products Society International
Convention. Austin, TX
7. National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA). Grant panel reviewer
8. Session Chair: Innovation in Manufacturing. . Forest Products Society International Convention. Washington, DC. Session 9.
9. Forest Products Society Membership Committed. Appointment by the FPS
Executive Director. Madison, Wisconsin
10. Session Co-Chair. Wood Processing/Sustainability. IUFRO Division 5 Conference.
Estoril Conference Center. Estoril, Portugal.
11. Session Chair. Session 4a: Process Improvement and Modeling II. 2nd Biennial
International Conference on Processing Technologies for the Biobased Products
12. Session Chair: Using Innovation-Based Manufacturing to Increase Global
Competition. Forest Products Society 65th International Convention
13. Coordinator of IUFRO section 5.04.13:. Industrial engineering, operations analysis and logistics.
14. Session Chair. FPS/SWST. Session XV. Manufacturing and Business Process
Management.to Increase Global Competition. Forest Products Society International
15. Society of Wood, Science and Technology Member
16. Member of the Editorial Board. Peer-reviewed Journal Tec Empresarial
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Research Proposals Funded: 35
Peer-Reviewed Publications: 58
Book Chapters: 2
Conference Proceedings: 43
Published Research Abstracts in Conferences: 50
Workshops and Short Courses: 107- Expert has organized or presented in 105 non-credit or workshop courses impacting the knowledge of over 3,900 people in the areas of process improvement, marketing, and business strategy.
Extension and Trade Journal Publications: 24
Other Pertinent Activities (Invitations to Panels, Round Tables, Committees, and Distinguish Focus Groups, Contributions to Diversity, University Meetings Organized, International Collaboration): 21
University meetings, panels, workshops, etc., led or organized: 1
International Collaborations: 17
Website Development: 2
Newspapers Appearances as Writer: 13
Press Releases: 10
|Training / Seminars|
|• 2018. Digital Accessibility Brown Bag Lunch. May 11.
• 2018. ePortfolio Student Panel. May 1.
• 2018. Zoom Essentials. April 27.
• 2017. Learning Experiences. December 5.
• 2014. Scholar: Features for Supporting Student Collaboration. October 23
• 2014. Real Time Online: Using WebEx for Teaching and Collaboration. October 22.
• 2014. Tutorial: Google Apps for Educators. September 1.
• 2012-2013. Early Career Teaching Certificate. Center for Instructional Development and
Educational Research (CIDER). Virginia Tech. Fall 2012-Spring 2013.
• 2012. Exploration of Emerging Technologies for Active and Engaged Learning.
Faculty Development Institute. May 22-24.
• 2011. Assessing Engaged Learners. Faculty Development Institute. September 2.
• 2009. Planning, Developing, Delivering Online Instruction. Faculty Development
Institute. April 28.
• 2009. Scholar: Overview & Introduction. Faculty Development Institute.