Expert in Educational Communications
Expert ID: 736192 United Kingdom
Expert combines a successful career in communications with passions for team building and education. His professional experience in communications spans the whole marcoms mix. He has top level leadership experience, running teams in agency and in-house and advising the boards of many organisations. His career has included periods specializing in corporate communications, government relations, political communications, digital PR, social media, design, brand identity, consumer PR, internal communications and crisis management.
Expert has advised and ran communications operations in organisations including multinationals and SMEs, major brands, not-for-profits, the public sector and media titles. He has covered most sectors, including technology, media, transportation, financial services, FMCG, education and the public sector. He enjoys building high performance teams and brings a deep understanding of relationship building, motivational management and getting the best of diverse teams.
● Cosmic Classroom: an event for school children to speak to British astronaut during a call from space.
● Reaching global students: tripled the volume of global media coverage for the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
● Catch the 365: Developed and led Microsoft’s first digital-first product launch.
● Millions and billions: Blogger relations to support the Financial Times reaching a million subscribers. Digital communications to support a billion downloads at Tes.
● Lifestyle and design: Launched Windows Phone, making a hero of the Metro design style of the user interface.
● Digital Trends: For three years at 33 Digital, Expert edited the Digital Trends Report, an innovative look at the trends in technology and communications.
● Awards: Two SABREs, two Scottish PR Awards and The Drum’s 30 Under 30.
● Coding/website management
● Social media management
● Statistical analysis
● Full driving license
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: London, England
|Year: 2006||Degree: PGDip||Subject: Strategic Marketing Management||Institution: Chartered Institute of Marketing|
|Year: 1999||Degree: MA||Subject: Philosophy||Institution: University of Edinburgh|
|Years: 2018 to 2020||Employer: BCW Global||Title: Managing Director||Department: Technology and Innovation||Responsibilities: ● Running tech & innovation practice, responsible for strategic planning through to execution against targets
● Member of UK board, shaping business strategy and policy, leading on key tech-related internal initiatives
● Successfully built internal network spanning US, EMEA and Asia, to develop a sharper technology proposition
● Modernising tech practice from narrow B2B tech to broader creative- and digital-led integrated comms
|Years: 2015 to 2018||Employer: Tes Global||Title: Head of Communications||Department: Communications||Responsibilities: Lead external communications, public affairs and public relations for the world's largest professional network of teachers and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
● Member of senior management team for large, education-focused PE owned company
● Day-to-day responsibility for corporate communications strategy and execution, external affairs, government relations, events and budget management
● Managing our agencies, the external affairs team and supporting teams across the business
● Representing Tes to the sector and government in its mission: a great teacher for every child
● High profile global PR programme for Times Higher Education World University Rankings, including media and stakeholder relations and issues management
● Integrating digital and traditional communications and designing processes to become more efficient and accountable
|Years: 2014 to 2015||Employer: International Community School London (SKOLA Group of Schools)||Title: Communications Director||Department: Senior Leadership Team||Responsibilities: Global marketing of academic and EFL summer schools, brand development across four schools, reputation management and crisis communications.
● Responsible for global marketing and promotional activity for independent schools and summer schools
● Managing the international sales and marketing team and building the marketing strategy, as well as communications expertise at every level
● Senior Leadership Team responsible for internal communications at the International Community School, handing crisis comms
|Years: 2011 to 2014||Employer: 33 Digital/Hotwire||Title: Managing Director||Department: Digital Communications||Responsibilities: Ran one of Europe's first and largest purely digital and social media focused communications agencies, working with many of the world's largest technology, telecoms and education businesses and brands.
● Led a team of 18 at one of Europe’s leading digital agencies, handling integrated comms and digital marketing campaigns for start-ups and blue-chips
● Responsible for planning and growth, financial reporting, legal and staff issues, client management and training and development
● Won pan-European awards for digital innovation on behalf of consumer and corporate clients
● Clients included Microsoft, Skype, BBC, Channel 4, Telefonica, Financial Times, Barclays, Pearson, Red Bull, Penguin, WWF and Southeastern Railways
|Years: 2008 to 2011||Employer: Fishburn Hedges||Title: Associate director||Department:||Responsibilities: Lead on key accounts in telecoms and fintech, plus ran a skunkworks focused on emerging areas of social media, location-based mobile services and digital transformation.
● Reputation management and communications consultancy to blue chip and public sector clients including BT, Shell, Nestle, Wallstreet Systems and Investors in People
● Launched FH Beta, a digital innovation unit that worked across all major clients to pioneer new ways of approaching corporate and brand communications
|Years: 2006 to 2008||Employer: GCI London||Title: Group Account Director||Department:||Responsibilities: ● Pan-European and UK public relations for blue chip and public sector clients in financial services, property, scientific research and the creative industries
● Clients included Panasonic, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Goodman, Harwell and the South West Regional Development Agency
|Years: 2002 to 2006||Employer: BCW Group Plc||Title: Director of Marketing and Public Relations||Department:||Responsibilities: ● Marketing and PR at high-growth financial services company.
● Responsible for corporate reputation, internal comms, CSR and crisis comms
|Years: 1999 to 2002||Employer: MEA Public Relations||Title: Account Manager||Department:||Responsibilities: ● Successful Edinburgh and London PR agency.
● Clients spanning education, public arts, healthcare, creative industries, technology and financial services
|Awards / Recognition|
|SABRE Awards, (2 years)
The Drum PR Awards