Expert in Engineering, Project Management, Corrosion Protection, Aluminium Metal Composites, Mechanical Material Corrosion
Expert ID: 736187 Texas, USA
Advanced Materials/Coatings: smart coatings, nanocomposite, nanoceramic, nanocoatings, nanofibers, nanowires, nanoplates, advanced polymers, polymeric materials, shape memory alloys.
Advanced Manufacturing: nano-manufacturing, bio-nano-manufacturing, advanced composites materials/coatings.
Health: biomaterials/bone tissue engineering, drug delivery, biodegradable materials, biomedical implants; tissue scaffold, polymer/nanofiber composites membranes, Hydroxyapatite nanoplates, biomimetic materials.
Energy: nuclear fuel synthesis, rare-earth nitrides, Li-ion batteries, smart textiles supercapacitors, energy harvesting.
Environment: waste & water treatment, CNT, graphene, membranes, nanoparticles, nanorods, nanoflakes, nanofilters.
Materials/Coatings Performance: corrosion, materials failure analysis, materials selection, mechanical testing.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Edinburg, Texas
|Year: 2003||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Corrosion Protection of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites||Institution: Cairo University|
|Years: 2017 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Vice President and Engineering Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Leading a team of experts in materials R&D, to provide training courses, consultancy, and project management for national and international companies, and solve their critical technical problems related to materials performance and technology development.|
|Years: 1993 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Full-time Full Professor||Department: Materials Science and Technology||Responsibilities: Responsible for providing R&D leadership, connecting research activities to industry applications, and supervising Ph.D. and master students. Developed articulation agreements with many international institutions in the USA, France, Germany, Italy, etc. Laid the groundwork, as PI, Co-PI or team leader, for the proposed research and successfully administered the projects (e.g., staffing, research protections, budget), and produced several publications from each project. Provide consultancy for several leading companies, solving their critical technical problems.|
|Years: 2014 to 2017||Employer: Univeersity of Texas||Title: Full Professor||Department:||Responsibilities: Established a Surface Engineering Laboratory and created several courses for master students in manufacturing & mechanical engineering, and chemistry. Provided R&D leadership in advanced nano-bio manufacturing, maintained a high standard of quality in STEM teaching, and supervised several postdoctoral scientists and master students. Served in many department, college, and university committees in various leadership roles such as a member of college council, annual faculty evaluation committee, the dean search committee, external awards committee, post-tenure committee, ABET, etc.|
|Associations / Societies|
● Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS), USA
● Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Associate Peer Review College-UK
● European Science Foundation - College of Expert Reviewers
● Fulbright Alumni, USA
● Alexander von Humboldt Alumni, Germany
● Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces Alumni, Potsdam, Germany
● Shoman Research and Innovation Community, Jordan
Organizer/head speaker of many international conferences and editor for their proceeding volumes.
Chairman and Organizer: Advances in smart and functional coatings and thin-films, MS&T Oct 12-16, 2014, Pittsburgh, USA. Chairman and Organizer: Recent Approaches and Challenges in Smart Coatings, Materials Science & Technology (MST2013). QC, Canada. Chairman and Organizer: Corrosion and Coatings Challenges in Industry, AAAS Pacific Division 88th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Division, Boise, ID. Member of Organizing Committee of ● Materials Research, Berlin, Germany ● Global Experts Meeting on Frontiers in Materials Science & Nanotechnology, Italy ● Int'l Congress and Exhibition on Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Czech Republic ● 35th World Congress on Materials Science and Nanotechnology, Australia ● 2nd Int'l Conference and Exhibition on Nanomedicine and Nanotechnology” Nanotech Virginia, USA ● World Expo on Materials Science and Engineering ● 35th World Congress on Materials Science and Nanotechnology, Australia ● Global Summit on Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (GSCCE-2018), UAE ● 13th Annual Conference on Material Science, Metals and Manufacturing", France ● 3rd Int'l Conference on Nanotechnologies and Biomedical Engineering, Moldova ● Int'l Conference on Recent Innovations in Production Engineering (RIPE), India ● 8th World Medical Nanotechnology Congress & Expo, Dallas, USA ● MarineTech Summit MTS, China ● Int'l Conference on Nanotechnologies and Biomedical Engineering, Moldova.
● Department of Materials, Imperial College London, UK
● Institute of Marine Corrosion of Metals, Genoa, Italy
● Dept. of Materials Sci. & Eng., University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
● Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Idaho, USA
● Voreppe Research Centre, Alcan Engineered Products, France
● Pohang University of Science and Technology, South Korea
● School of Engineering, Univ. Politehnica din Timisoara, Romania
● POSCO for Iron and Steels Manufacturing, Pohang, South Korea
● Ras Al Khaimah Centre for Advanced Materials, 22–24, UAE
● Saudi Aramco, Houston
● Blue Origin, Seattle, USA
● University of Idaho, USA
● National Centre for Nuclear Research, Poland
● Raspet Flight Research Laboratory, Mississippi State University
● South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
|Awards / Recognition|
|Alexander von Humboldt Award for Experienced Scientists
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Golm, Potsdam, Germany: Received Humboldt award as one of the top awards in Germany and carried out high standard R&D at Max Planck Institute as one of the world best research centers.
Fulbright Visiting Scholar Award Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID, USA: Received Fulbright award as one of the top awards in the USA. Supervised a team of master students to perform research in nano-ceramic and nitride coatings for stainless steel and aluminum alloys for marine, automotive and aerospace applications.
National Science Foundation Fellowship, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Boise State University
US-Department of Energy Fellowship, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Boise State University
Shoman Prize in Engineering Science, Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation, Jordan
National Prize of Egypt in Advanced Science and Technology, Egyptian Government
An-Najah University Prize for Research in Natural Science, Palestine
Arab Youth Excellence Award in Innovation, Arab League
Prize of Prof. Venice Gouda for Innovation in Materials Science and their Applications, Egypt
Prize of Prof. Ibrahim Amar for Excellence in Materials Corrosion and Surface Technology, Egypt
Who's Who in the World® (3 years) a reference book which lists biographical details of leading scientists around the world, Marquis's Who's Who, USA.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Books and Handbooks: Editor of 17 books and handbooks for Elsevier, Springer, and Woodhead Publishing Limited-UK.
Book Chapters & Review Articles: Author of 30+ chapters and 6 review articles.
Articles: 200+ publications in refereed international journals and proceedings of high profile such as ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Crystal Growth & Design, Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Tech., Electrochimica Acta, Materials Science, and Engineering: C, Ceramics International, J. Molecular Liquids, Materials Letters, Chemical Engineering J., etc
|Training / Seminars|
|Education & Fellowships:
Supervised a team of postdoctoral and master students to perform research in smart coatings for advanced magnesium and aluminum alloys for automotive and aerospace applications.
National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID, USA: Supervised a team of master students to perform research in self-healing chemical conversion and sol-gel coatings for advanced magnesium and aluminum alloys.
USA Department of Energy Postdoctoral Fellowship Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID, USA: Supervised a team to perform research in nuclear fuel synthesis and corrosion studies in molten salts, through two funded projects. The first one funded by the USA Department of Energy (DOE), Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (NERI), on “Synthesis and optimization of the sintering kinetics of actinide nitrides”. The second project funded by Idaho National Laboratory, on “Synthesis and corrosion of ZrN and HfN in molten salt”. Completed a course in “Radiation Safety” provided by BSU, USA.
Ph.D.: Dissertation: Corrosion Protection of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites Physical Chemistry, Egypt, jointly with the Institute of Marine Corrosion of Metals, Genoa, Italy. Designed five Fluoropolymer based eco-friendly coating formulations to add a self-healing functionality to Al-composites.
• Completed a training course from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), UK. It comprises four modules which include an introduction, strategic criteria, postal peer review, and the prioritization meeting process.
• Completed a Course in “Radiation Safety” provided by the Environmental Health & Safety Dept. BSU, USA.
• Completed a module on "Interview Training", sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service.
• German language course (A1 & A2), provided by Inlingua, Max Planck Institute, Germany.
• Participated in the “Writing & Citing Workshop”, Boise State University, ID, USA.
• Languages: Fluent in Arabic and English. Conversational knowledge of German and Italian.
• Computer Skills: PowerPoint, Office, Excel, Internet, Outlook.
|Panel member and expert reviewer for many international organizations.
● USA National ScienceFoundation (NSF)
● European Union’s (FP7)
● European Science Foundation (ESF) College of Expert Reviewers
●External reviewer for the rank of full professor at Ghent University
● German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
●Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Associate Peer Review College-UK
● Research Foundation Flanders (FWO)
● Elsevier - USA
● USA Fulbright Commission
● German-Egyptian Research Fund (GERF)
● German Aerospace Center (DLR)
● Ministry of Education and Science-Kazakhstan
● Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation of Georgia (SRNSFG)
● Qatar Foundation
● University of Luxembourg
● Al-Imam University
● Jazan University
● University of Hail
● Regular Referee for 30+ international journals of high profile (Elsevier, Springer, RCS, ECS, and Willy)
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Expert's management style is based on transparency, team building, goal-oriented, metrics-driven, managing risk and entrepreneurial. He strongly believes that team spirit-based vision & pleasant working atmosphere are the keys to success.
Within his group, everybody has his/her specific assignments, which encourages taking initiative. Expert focus' on the positive things and appreciate the team members who are doing well. There is no doubt that any organization, unfortunately, has some so-called "less-active members". With his management style, the less active members will automatically improve their
performance to match the extreme. To make a decision: 1) I identify the problem and the goals
2) Gather necessary information that is directly related to the problem and weighing the options
3) Consider the consequences
4) Make the decision and evaluate it.
To prioritize his activities (Important vs Urgent):
1) I define my SMART goals and write them down
2) TO-DO list with all the activities and projects that he has to do
3) On a scale of 1-5 (5 is highly important) Expert assigns importance to each activity
4) Evaluates each activity’s urgency (1-5), then plots each activity on the matrix according to the values given to it.