Expert in Entomology, Insect Pest Management, and Apiculture
Expert ID: 734207 California, USA
His expertise includes knowledge of arthropod biology, behavior and management, with chemical and non-chemical methods.
As a consultant, Expert lends expertise on the identification of insect pests and their damage, evaluation of appropriate pest management efforts, determination of fault in honey bee stinging events, and other related fields.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Bakersfield, California - Salinas, California - Ventura, California - Santa Barbara, California - Santa Maria, California
|Year: 1989||Degree: Ph.D||Subject: Biology/Entomology||Institution: Utah State University|
|Year: 1980||Degree: M.S.||Subject: Entomology||Institution: Purdue University|
|Year: 1977||Degree: B.S.||Subject: Entomology||Institution: University of Idaho|
|Years: 2015 to 2020||Employer: Cal Poly||Title: Professor Emeritus||Department: Horticulture and Crop Science||Responsibilities: Expert has taught entomology as Professor Emeritus.|
|Years: 2012 to 2015||Employer: CSU||Title: Executive Director, Agricultural Research Institute||Department: Chancellor's Office||Responsibilities: Expert led this six-campus agricultural research institute, in which sphere he distributed over $4 million in annual research funds and disseminated results also.|
|Years: 1997 to 2015||Employer: Cal Poly.||Title: Associate Dean||Department: Coll. of Ag. Dean's office||Responsibilities: Expert oversaw research and graduate programs for the 4th-largest college of agriculture in the United States. He maintained external partnerships within the industry and with other colleges and universities.|
|Years: 1996 to 1997||Employer: Cal Poly.||Title: Department Head||Department: Crop Science||Responsibilities: Expert led faculty and staff in this diverse crop science department. He oversaw large field operations with annual and permanent crops. He worked with industry partners and the dean's office to support the mission of department.|
|Years: 1996 to 1996||Employer: Crop & Food Research Institute, New Zealand||Title: Visiting Scientist||Department: Entomology||Responsibilities: He conducted research on insect pests of flower and fruit crops.|
|Years: 1982 to 1996||Employer: Cal Poly.||Title: Professor||Department: Crop Science||Responsibilities: Expert taught and conducted research in applied entomology, including insect pest management and apiculture.|
|Years: 1981 to 1982||Employer: Oregon State University||Title: Staff Research Assistant||Department: Entomology||Responsibilities: Expert conducted research on tree fruit and nut crop pests.|
|Years: 1977 to 1977||Employer: U.S.D.A.-A.P.H.I.S.||Title: Plant Protection Technician||Department: Plant Protection & Quarantine||Responsibilities: He monitored grasshopper and cricket infestations across Idaho. He also aided in control operations.|
|Years: 2011 to 2013||Agency: U.S./USDA||Role: P.I. - Training grant||Description: Led Cal Poly effort to train pre-deployment U.S. military/State dept. staff on agriculture skills prior to deployment to Afghanistan|
|Years: 2001 to 2002||Agency: USDA||Role: P.I. Higher Ed and Training System grants||Description: Oversaw training/teaching programs for USDA via Cal Poly|
|Years: 1977 to 1977||Agency: U.S./ USDA- APHIS||Role: Plant Protection Technician||Description: Grasshopper/ Cricket Surveyor for USDA in Idaho|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2008 to 2008||Country / Region: Costa Rica||Summary: Visited EARTH University to facilitate cooperative ventures with Cal Poly|
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Country / Region: China||Summary: Visited three universities to give seminars, establish cooperative research/graduate programs|
|Years: 1996 to 1996||Country / Region: New Zealand/north island||Summary: Conducted entomology research as visiting scientist at national lab - Crop & Food Research Institute|
|Years: 1993 to 1993||Country / Region: Japan||Summary: Participated in agricultural/government tour of Japan as part of Japan Agricultural Exchange Council program|
|Years: 1990 to 2010||Country / Region: Various||Summary: Provided numerous workshops/training programs for foreign visitors from government/university organizations|
|Associations / Societies|
|Entomological Society of America; member since 1978. Active presenting research at branch/national meetings. Served on various committees.
National Assoc. of Agricultural & Renewable Resources Universities. Elected to Board of Directors
Calif. Assoc. of Nurseries and Garden Centers. Served as chair of their endowment advisory committee
Member, Univ. of California Postharvest IPM Workgroup
Sigma Xi research society, Cal Poly chapter. President
Western Apicultural Society, President
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Pest Control Advisor and Qualified Applicator licenses via CA Department of Pesticide Regulation, 1982-2016.
Board Certified Entomologist, approx. 1982 - present.
|Statewide member, CA Dept. of Pesticide Regulation Pest Management Advisory Committee, 1999-2015.
Steering committee member, CA Food & Fiber Future Project, 1997-2003.
Regional accreditation committee member, CA Agricultural Production Consultant's Association, 1992-1995.
|Awards / Recognition|
|Rotary Distinguished Service Award
Merit Pay Awards at Cal Poly (4 years)
Monsanto Agricultural Faculty Award (2 years)
Finalist, Cal Poly Distinguished Teaching Award
Elected to Gamma Sigma Delta honorary society, Purdue University
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has published 9 peer-reviewed scholarly papers and 18 other professionally-related publications, most on entomological topics.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
| Expert has served as an expert witness in 17 cases to date.
1. Scottsdale, AZ. Care facility patient with scabies mite infestation. Role: entomology expert regarding life cycle, control of scabies mites. Defense, Ongoing
2. Lancaster, CA. Honey bee sting incident. Role: honey bee expert evaluating alleged bee sting incident, bee behavior. Defense, settled before trial
3. Beverly Hills, CA. Honey bee sting incident. Role: honey bee expert evaluating alleged bee sting incident, bee behavior. Defense, Settled before trial
4. Phoenix, AZ. Satellite dish installer stung by bees on house roof. Role: honey bee expert evaluating alleged bee sting incident, bee behavior. Included bee reaction to pesticide use. Plaintiff, Settled before trial
5. Foster City, CA. Hardwood floors infested with beetles (private home). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and flooring damage. Plaintiff, Settled before trial
6. Los Angeles Co. Hardwood floors infested with beetles (private home). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and flooring damage. Plaintiff, Settled before trial
7. San Diego Co. Condominium complex with wood-boring beetle and termite damage to roofing and structural wood members. Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and damage to condo roofs. Deposition taken. Plaintiff, Settled before trial
8. Elk Grove, CA. Hardwood floors infested with beetles (private home). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and flooring damage. Defense, Settled before trial
9. Santa Clara Co. Hardwood floors infested with beetles (private home). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and flooring damage. Deposition taken. Defense, Settled before trial
10. San Diego Co. Hardwood door/window paneling infested with beetles (4 private homes). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and hardwood paneling damage. Deposition taken. Defense, Settled before trial
11. Los Angeles Co. Customer of convenience store ate insect-infested candy. Role: entomology expert identifying moth pest of candy and determining likely infestation source. Defense, Settled before trial
12. Stockton, CA. Methyl Bromide poisoning of residents near strawberry fields. Role: assessing likelihood of MeBr poisoning in plaintiffs living adjacent to treated crop fields. Opined on legal requirements for field posting prior to and during treatment. Plaintiff, Settled before trial
13. Issaquah, WA. Hardwood flooring infested with beetles (private home). Role: wood-boring beetle expert regarding insect biology and source. Defense, Settled before trial
14. Fresno, CA. Insect contamination of palletized soft drinks in Pepsi warehouse. Role: entomology expert identifying pests, determining likely source. Defense, Settled before trial
15. Honolulu, HI. Insect infestation in wood cabinets. Role: entomology expert identifying pests, describing biology, likely source. Plaintiff, Ongoing
16. Ventura Co., CA. Honey bee sting incident. Role: honey bee expert evaluating alleged bee sting incident, bee behavior. Defense, Ongoing
17. San Rafael, CA. Private home infested with springtail insects. Role: entomology expert identifying pests, describing biology, likely source, recommending mitigation options. Plaintiff, Ongoing
|Training / Seminars|
|Expert has attended numerous seminars on technical subjects (entomology, pest management, pesticides, etc.), as well as more general management subjects related to his academic positions as department head, associate dean, executive director, and other roles.|