Expert in Enzyme Assay, Analytical chemistry, Protein purification
Expert ID: 735116 United Kingdom
Research focuses on chemical techniques to the study of biological systems and utilizing them for new functions and properties. In particular, enzyme discovery, characterization and engineering with tailored functions to address societal challenges including health and sustainability.
Highly interested in developing interdisciplinary collaborations and novel teaching methods and models of instruction that fully engage the students in the learning process. Regarded to be compassionate and positive towards achieving assigned goals, enjoys solving biological puzzles with synthetic and analytical tools.
|Year: 2001||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Bio-Organic Chemistry||Institution: University of Leicester, UK|
|Year: 1997||Degree: MSc.||Subject: Analytical Science||Institution: University of Hull, UK|
|Year:||Degree: BSc.||Subject: Chemistry with Education||Institution: Blacksea Technical University, TR|
|Years: 2018 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Senior Scientific Officer (Team Leader)||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2016 to 2018||Employer: Imperial College London||Title: Senior Research Scientist||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2007 to 2016||Employer: Gebze Technical University||Title: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2005 to 2007||Employer: University of Oxford||Title: Research Assistant/Associate||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2001 to 2005||Employer: University of Edinburgh||Title: Research Assistant/Associate||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Associations / Societies|
|MEMBERSHIP & ORGANISATIONAL ROLES
- Member of European Biotechnology Thematic Network Association (2014-)
- Member of Biotechnology Society of Turkey (2009)
- Associate Member of The Royal Society of Chemistry (AMRSC) (2001-2006)
- Member of Organisational and Scientific Committee-ProStab 2016, May 9-11, 2016, İstanbul, Turkey
- Member of Organisational and Scientific Committee-3rd BAU-Drug Design Congress, September 1-3, 2015, İstanbul, Turkey
- Member of Organisational and Scientific Committee-International Enzyme for Biocatalysis Workshop, June 3-5 2014, İstanbul, Turkey
- Member of Scientific Committee-1stInternational Symposium on Secondary Metabolites, Chemical, Biological and Biotechnological Properties, September 12-15, 2011, Denizli, Turkey
- Member of Scientific Committee-3rd National Drug Congress, March 20-22, 2015, Antalya
- Member of Scientific Committee-27th National Chemistry Congress, August 23-28, 2015, Çanakkale, Turkey
|Awards / Recognition|
|-Best Oral Presentation, Prof. Mariapia Viola Magni, EBTNA Award at European Biotechnology Congress, Lecce, Italy
-Cambridge Isotope-The best NMR spectrum Price Winner and Students Stipends Price (for IU)
-Awarded a PhD scholarship (Turkish Ministry of Education
-Awarded an MSc. scholarship (Turkish Ministry of Education)
-Awarded a prize due to ranking as the first from the top among the students who graduated from KTU, Chemistry Department)
|Publications and Patents Summary|
Book/ Chapters: 1
Selected Conference Proceedings: 29
Talks/ Invited Talks: 14
Interviews with national media: 3
|Training / Seminars|
|IT SKILLS / OTHER TRAINING
Certificate in Genetic Modification Work, @ The University of Edinburgh. 2003
Proficient in Chemistry/Molecular Biology and general software packages: ChemDraw, NMR packages, BioEdit, PyMOL and Origin, EndNote etc.
Microsoft Office programs. Course on Enhancing Writing Skills, @ University of Edinburgh, 2003.
- Researcher, supervised and guided PhD, MRes and UG students within the Barter
group at ICL, assisting Doctoral Training Programme (NexGenAgriChem, €3.8M EU
- Principal investigator, ‘Development of Nitroreductase/Prodrug based system for
cancer therapy’, (funded by TÜBITAK), Budget: £100,000, Date:
- Co-investigator, Development of molecular modelling based new nitroreductase
(ntr)/pro-drug systems used in the treatment of cancer and enzyme activitycytotoxicity research (funded by TÜBITAK), Budget: £102,500, Date: 2014-2017.
- Co-investigator, ‘Molecular engineering of the NADP+-dependent formate
dehydrogenase enzyme by using computational and experimental methods’ (funded
by TÜBITAK), Budget: £55,000 Date: 2012-2014.
- Co-investigator, ‘Biotechnological treatment of bio-wastes for the production of
high-added value products’ (funded by G.S.R.T. in Greece and by TUBITAK in
Turkey), Budget: £94,800, Date: 2011-2013
- Co-investigator, ‘Polymeric nanoparticles as an efficient delivery system for
phthalocyanine-based Photosensitizers in Photodynamic Therapy (PDT), (funded by
TUBITAK), Budget: £10,416, Date: 2010-2011
- Researcher, A Feasibility Study of the Formic Acid Economy: Biocatalytic approach.
University of Oxford, Date: 2005-2007
- Researcher, ‘Deracemisation processes for the manufacture of chiral sulfoxides
using DMSO from R. capsulatus’, University of Edinburgh, Date: 2002-2004.
- Researcher, ‘Directed evolution biotechnology to develop oxidative enzyme
processes’. University of Edinburgh, Date: 2002-2003