Expert in Fiber Reinforced Polymers, Composite Materials, Design, and Marketing
Expert's engineering projects have included the product and technological introduction of a fiber composite concrete repair system to the U.S. market (Forca Tow Sheet), industrial torque shaft design and prototype by filament winding, pressure vessel design and prototype by filament winding, concept development of composite burst disks, design optimization of pultruded shapes (sailboat masts, hockey sticks), and material and process development and design of composite tennis racquets and fishing rods, with both thermoset and thermoplastic resins. He has done failure analysis on composite bicycle frames. Expert has also completed miscellaneous materials studies on braids, honeycomb, clear plastics, powder prepregs, carbon fibers, etc.
His consulting firm offers services to include:
· Market studies and product introductions
· Mechanical testing and compliance/certification assistance
· Training and technology transfer
· Composite materials feasibility and tradeoff studies
· Preliminary structural design, analysis and prototyping
Much of his relevant technical experience is these areas:
· Carbon, glass, and aramid fibers
· Ultra high modulus graphite fiber
· Continuous fiber thermoplastic composites
· Design, analysis, and test of composite structures
· FRP concrete repair
For the past 10 years, Expert has been heavily involved with the efforts to introduce FRP materials to the infrastructure market. Previous clients include Nippon Steel Composites and Master Builders. Expert was the secretary of the ACI 440F committee through its development of the guideline for external concrete repair. Expert is also a member of ASTM D20.18.01, the committee responsible for the development of testing standards for FRP concrete repair materials. Expert was also under contract to the Market Development Alliance of the FRP Composites Industry (now ACMA) to assist with their continuing efforts to develop FRP infrastructure markets. Expert is a co-author of a multi client marketing report on the growth of FRP materials in Infrastructure and since August of 2002, Expert has been providing independent testing and inspection services for contractors and DOT’s needing QA testing of repair applications. Expert has also authored another strategic market study, examining FRP market opportunities for a multi-national company with interests in offshore oil exploration and production, automotive production, and alternate energy usage.
Other projects Expert has been involved with during the past twenty years have included:
1. Prototype development and material qualification of composite sport goods such as the Prince Vortex tennis racquet and the Abu Garcia Royal Nickel fish rod
2. Design and prototype development of composite torque shafts for NASCAR racers
3. Design of composite coupling joints for marine driveshafts
4. Numerous composite design/stress analyses for pressure vessels, piping, etc.
5. Conceptual design studies
6. Course instruction in design of filament wound products
7. Teaching short course on failure analysis of non-metallic structures
8. Revising and expanding technical design manuals for an engineering thermoplastic product line
9. Technical representative for Japanese company, introducing fiber reinforced material for external concrete repair and reinforcement
10. Technical/marketing representative for US weaving company, introducing special fabrics to aerospace market
11. FEM analysis of concept designs for all composite flatbed trailer, and more recently, prototype manufacture of three trailers
12. Marketing surveys for various products including carbon fibers, honeycomb, diamond films, trailer wheels, carbon fabrics, tension control sensors, etc.
13. Expert witness for composite related subjects – trade secret violation and failure analysis of sporting goods and civil structures reinforcement.
14. Design of an all-composite flatbed trailer truck.
Expert coordinated with test laboratories to define and complete protocols for qualification testing for building codes. This included test definition, sample preparation, review of data and negotiation with code agency.He visited at client facilities for design reviews and supervising composite part assembly.Expert accompanied a foreign client on visits to a U.S. teaming partner. He guided technical and business discussions to ensure a complete understanding of issues.
He visited government agencies on behalf of a client and assisted in securing R&D funding.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: New York, New York - Yonkers, New York - Newark, New Jersey - Jersey City, New Jersey - Paterson, New Jersey - Elizabeth, New Jersey - Bridgeport, Connecticut - New Haven, Connecticut - Stamford, Connecticut - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|Year: 1970||Degree: PhD||Subject: Engineering Mechanics||Institution: University of Delaware|
|Year: 1967||Degree: MS||Subject: Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering||Institution: University of Delaware|
|Year: 1965||Degree: BSME||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: Penn State University|
|Years: 1984 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert is an engineering and marketing consultant. Clients have included large chemical companies, material suppliers, weavers, equipment manufacturers, and composite fabricators. Projects include:
· Product and technology introduction of a fiber composite concrete repair system to the US market (Forca Tow Sheet)
· Industrial torque shaft design and prototype by filament winding
· Short Course instruction: Failure Analysis of Non-metallic Structures, Mechanics of Filament Winding, Composite Design
· Pressure vessel design and prototype by filament winding
· Failure analysis of composite bicycle frames
· Design optimization of pultruded shapes (sailboat masts, hockey sticks)
· Material and process development and design of composite tennis racquets and fishing rods, with both thermoset and thermoplastic resins
· Concept development of composite burst disks
· Author/editor of thermoplastic design manual for injection molding
· Misc. materials studies on braids, honeycomb, clear plastics, powder prepregs, carbon fibers, etc.
|Years: 1975 to 1984||Employer: Celanese Corporation||Title: Engr Supervisor, Marketing Specialist||Department: Celion Carbon Fiber Division||Responsibilities: From 1982 to 1985, Expert was a Marketing Specialist for specialty carbon fibers including commingled thermoplastic yarns, controlled conductivity yarns, and ultra high modulus GY-70 for satellite structure. He was also an Industrial Marketing Specialist for carbon fiber.
From 1975 to 1982, he was a Research Engineer and Technical Supervisor for the Celion Carbon Fiber Applications and Product Development Group. His activities included composite design, materials evaluations, aerospace qualification, prototype fabrication, and technical service support of Celion sales.
|Years: 1973 to 1975||Employer: Martin Marietta Aerospace Corporation||Title: Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert was the principal investigator for government research programs on the design, analysis, and fabrication of composite missile structure.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Expert is a member of SAMPE, ASTM (Committees D30 and D20), American Concrete Institute (Committee 440).|
|Awards / Recognition|
|He is a SAMPE Fellow.|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|He has published more than 25 papers dealing with various aspects of composite materials and also holds three U.S. patents. Expert is also the author/editor of a thermoplastic design manual for injection molding.|
|Training / Seminars|
|He has conducted short courses on failure analysis of non-metallic materials, adhesive technology, and filament winding.|
|He has performed multiple engineering marketing surveys on topics such as high modulus carbon fiber, injection molding hardware, tension control equipment, and FRP for infrastructure.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Expert has negotiated distribution and technology agreements between U.S. and foreign companies. The resulting 1998-1999 sales were in excess of $5 million.|