Expert in Flow Measurement, Level Measurement, Process Control, Variable Speed Drives
Expert ID: 719825 New York, USA
Expert has directly applied his education to positions in the steel and chemical industries, including 15 years of on-site chemical plant experience. His work in process control and instrumentation has also extended to the food, electric power (including nuclear), and pharmaceutical industries. In one situation, his novel control improvements increased profitability by over $1M per year and resulted in higher production rates with no additional capital equipment or labor requirements. He has authored an advanced regulatory control text.
With years of extensive experience in specifying, building, installing, starting-up, calibration and troubleshooting process control instrumentation, and flow metering, he gained expertise in boiler and incinerator controls and control strategy development. He has managed the instrumentation, electrical, and utility areas on a plant-wide basis. He was involved with long-range capital planning, utility process engineering, energy conservation, and the development and implementation of capital projects addressing system efficiency, system simplification, and operating flexibility, reliability, and maintainability. In one instance, he developed an on-line method to calculate catalyst recirculation rate in a fluid bed reactor, which replaced the previous cumbersome (and unused) method. His actions also reduced annual energy costs for combustion by substituting a waste fume flow for combustion air and by atomizing with plant air instead of steam.
Expert has over 15 years of involvement with hazardous waste incinerators, including related process changes, operation, maintenance, process control upgrades, and efficiency improvements. His novel application of instrumentation and control technology enabled significant energy saving by substituting a waste fume for combustion air while simplifying the mechanical system.
Expert authored a variable speed drive applications textbook. He developed and taught a variable speed drive seminar for over 10 years.
Expert saved approximately $2,500,000 for a Client by determining that certain variable speed drive equipment did not need to be replaced. He has resolved numerous miscellaneous instrumentation problems/questions by telephone. Expert performed an uncertainty analysis for a flow laboratory and discovered significant opportunity for improvement. In a legal case, Expert was able to examine/test flowmeters and quantify their errors. Expert was able to improve water balances in a water distribution system and identify past measurement errors that resulted in additional revenues of approximately $1,000,000. In another case, Expert was instrumental in obtaining a settlement of over $10,000,000.
|Year: 1975||Degree: M.S.||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: University of Illinois|
|Year: 1973||Degree: B.S.||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: University of Connecticut|
|Years: 1998 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal||Department:|
Responsibilities:Consulting and teaching in flow measurement, level measurement, instrumentation, process control, and process enhancement.
|Years: 1983 to 1998||Employer: NEPERA||Title: Manager of Utility and Instrumentation Engineering||Department: Utility and Instrumentation Engineering|
Responsibilities:Responsible for instrumentation, control, electrical and utility engineering on a plant-wide basis.
|Years: 1980 to 1983||Employer: MOBAY CHEMICAL||Title: Senior Process Control Systems Engineer||Department: Instrumentation and Controls|
Responsibilities:Corporate instrumentation and control engineering.
|Years: 1975 to 1980||Employer: UNITED STATES STEEL||Title: Instrumentation Engineer||Department: Instrumentation and Controls|
Responsibilities:Corporate instrumentation and control engineering.
|Years: 2005 to 2005||Agency: NASA Langley Research Center||Role: Instructor||Description: Teach Industrial Flow Measurement|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1976 to 1977||Country / Region: Brazil||Summary: Represented US Steel to start up steel facilities valued at approximately US $250,000,000.|
|Years: 1979 to 1980||Country / Region: Italy||Summary: Represented US Steel to start up a steel facility valued at approximately US $100,000,000.|
|Years: 1995 to 2006||Country / Region: Brazil||Summary: Taught various seminars in Portuguese.|
|Years: 2012 to 2012||Country / Region: South Africa||Summary: Taught flow measurement seminars.|
|Years: 2014 to 2014||Country / Region: Singapore||Summary: Taught flow measurement seminars.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Life Fellow of ISA.
Member of various ISO TC30 and ASME MFC committees.
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Expert is an Editorial Advisory Board Member of INTECH (1995-present) and Flow Control (1996-present) magazines. Expert was a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of INTECH Brasil magazine (2002-2007).|
|Awards / Recognition|
| Expert was CONTROL's Chemical Industry Engineer of the Year
Expert received the ISA Douglas H. Annin Award
Expert was also awarded the ISA PMCD Best Paper Award
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has written about 10 books on flow measurement, level measurement, advanced regulatory control, and variable speed drives. He also edited a book on flow measurement and has written over 400 technical articles.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|1. Expert determined that sewage flowmeters used for billing were not accurate and helped the local authority persuade the billing authority to correct said installations. He wrote expert reports, testified in county and federal courts and provides occasional technical support as needed.
2. Expert defended an instrument manufacturer against a claim that an instrument failure caused control actions that resulted in injury.
3. Expert helped a manufacturer representative reconcile conflicting accuracy claims made by the instrument user and manufacturer.
4. Expert developed information, wrote an expert report, and spoke during arbitration to respond to allegations that the instrumentation review process caused construction delays.
5. Expert investigated an incident where swimming pool chemicals mixed to produce a chlorine cloud in which the individual was injured. He wrote a report describing the mechanism and was deposed.
6. Expert investigated the performance of a flowmeter measuring and billing for effluent to the water treatment facility to defend allegations that the flowmeter was measuring erroneously low for many years. He wrote an expert report, rebutted plaintiff’s expert reports, and prepared for arbitration.
7. Expert refuted claims that 50 year-old flowmeters (that were not calibrated for 7 years) passing approximately $200 million of steam annually were inaccurate. The case settled for over $10 million within days of his expert report and deposition demonstrating remarkable accuracy.
8. Expert investigated and wrote a report regarding the installation of a water flowmeter used for billing that was not properly installed.
9. Expert investigated the installation and operation of a large municipal sewage flowmeter to determine why it is not measuring accurately. He wrote an expert report and is awaiting client action.
10. Expert investigated the design, installation, operation and maintenance of a flow measurement system that leaked hazardous material and allegedly caused an injury.
11. Other cases include: Consulting expert for two patent infringement cases (2009-2013), natural gas flowmeter (2011), boiler outage (2011), water meters (2012), SO2 flowmeter (2014), Railroad loading/ unloading valve (2018).
|Training / Seminars|
|He developed and taught flow measurement, flow systems, pressure and level measurement, and variable speed drive seminars.|
|He possesses 45 years of experience in locating, recommending, calibrating and specifying equipment in his fields of expertise.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
• Consulting expert for two patent infringement cases
• C&H Food Service natural gas flowmeter
• Elmira Floral (Westport/Swan v Travelers) boiler outage
• Faribault, MN water meters
• Duchesne, UT swimming pool
• Winery SO2 flowmeter
• Railroad car loading/unloading valve
• Defend client against allegations of water meter tampering
|Portuguese||Speak and communicate fluently. Teaches seminars in Portuguese.|
Fields of Expertise
airflow measurement, flowmeter, flowmetering, flowmetering technology, fluid flow measurement, gas flow measurement, liquid flow measurement, liquid metering, metering, chemical process control, control loop, advanced process control, process control system, process control system design, process control instrumentation, process monitoring, chemical process control instrumentation, incinerator, variable-speed drive, nuclear utility, instrumentation engineering, process control engineering, flow control valve, feedforward control, feedback loop, custody transfer, variable frequency drive, hazardous area motor, speed control, waste-heat boiler control, Parshall flume, level sensing, metering instrument design, hazardous waste fuel combustion, chemical process troubleshooting, pitot tube, flow control, flowmeter calibration, level sensor, fluidic control, liquid level control, flow sensor, level measurement, flow measurement standard, metering instrument, fluidic control system, gas flow through an orifice, venturi meter, incineration, hazardous waste, hazardous waste incineration system, fluid flow, pressure measurement, orifice meter, mass flowmeter, liquid level measurement, hazardous waste incineration, distributed control system, fluidic control device