Expert in Gas Separations Membranes, CO2 Capture, Hydrogen, Industrial Gases, Renewable Energy, Algae
Expert ID: 729646 New York, USA
Expert is currently the president of a company that is developing novel algae to bio-fuel technology with potential for step change efficiency in renewal fuel production. He has broad knowledge of algae technology, reactors, processes and techno-economic hurdles and is the author of proprietary report on algae technology for post combustion CO2 capture. He has consulted with DOE in the areas of CCS, IGCC, Hydrogen/syngas fuels, plant efficiency and CO2 sequestration.
Provided consultation services to Fortune 500 company on sustainability initiative. Independent validation of methodology, assumptions, analysis, and claims w.r.t. emissions reductions using client technology.Provided consultation services to major petrochemical company related to plant efficiency improvement and operator training.Provided consultation services for major international project related to Helium recovery from natural gas.Provided consultation services to client related to cryogenic natural gas upgrading plant. Identified design and process issues and recommended mitigation strategies.Developed proprietary industry reports on following:
(1) Post combustion CO2 capture using polymeric and advanced membranes
(2) Post combustion CO2 capture using Algae technologies
(3) Pre-combustion CO2 capture using polymeric, ceramic and metal membranes
(4) Advanced Oxy-combustion technologies for CO2 capture
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Buffalo, New York - Rochester, New York - Niagara Falls, New York - Erie, Pennsylvania
|Year: 1982||Degree: PhD||Subject: Combustion - Mechanical/CHemical Engineering||Institution: SUNY Buffalo|
|Year: 1979||Degree: MS||Subject: Combustion - Mechanical/CHemical Engineering||Institution: SUNY Buffalo|
|Year: 1976||Degree: BS||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: IIT Kanpur, India|
|Years: 1980 to 2008||Employer: Praxair Inc.||Title: Corporate Fellow||Department: Research & Development||Responsibilities: Championed new technology programs, scouted external technologies to drive growth and established alliances for development and commercialization. Conceived and implemented corporate strategy in Nano-technology. Spearheaded major technology programs in the $2-50MM range. Recruited, mentored and developed world-class team of 35 scientists and engineers. Leveraged external technology and obtained over $50MM in external funding.
• Founding member of major Alliance involving Praxair, BP, Amoco, Phillips Petroleum, Statoil and Sasol to develop ceramic membrane syngas technology for GTL. Instrumental in negotiations, roadmap development, program planning, IP strategy development, and implementation.
• Established/led programs for ceramic membrane oxygen technology for IGCC, combustion and SOFC afterburner for step change energy efficiency and CO2 capture
• Identified novel, solid-state oxygen generation technology. Established key relationships, JD program and agreements. Performed product line planning, market analysis and developed staged commercialization strategy.
• Conceived and implemented a coherent corporate strategy in nano-technology. Achieved organizational alignment. Identified several opportunities for partnership, investment and licensing. Directed business analysis, market assessment and technology due diligence.
• Identified a potentially disruptive, high value add, catalytic coating that extends operational life and improves process efficiency of ethylene crackers with business potential >$20MM/yr. Initiated contact, developed relationship and facilitated discussions with partner.
• Identified business opportunity in India for small gasifiers with revenue potential of $15MM. Assessed leading manufacturers, and selected partner for joint development & commercialization. Led negotiations, reached agreement with partner and established JD program
• Established and led polymeric membrane R&D skill center. Helped with assessing and later integrating new acquisition. Recruited and trained personnel, created design tools and defined product economics. Invented process technology underpinning commercial plants and guided product line development. Enabled commercialization with sales exceeding $8MM/yr.
• Developed technology and enabled scale-up of semiconductor grade silicon reactor. Tripled production and increased purity leading to a new division with sales exceeding $10MM/yr.
• Identified specialty ceramics company and supported acquisition.
|Years: 2011 to 2011||Agency: DOE||Role: Chair of Review Panel for Carbon Capture Program||Description: Led comprehensive technical and program management review of 16 major projects in DOE's national Carbon Capture Program. Together with AICHE, developed final report.|
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Agency: DOE||Role: Reviewer for Advanced Fuels Program||Description: Provided comprehensive technical and program management review of 19 major projects in DOE's national Advanced Fuels Program|
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Agency: DOE||Role: Reviewer for Carbon Sequestration Program||Description: Provided comprehensive technical and program management review of 16 major projects in DOE's national Carbon Sequestration Program|
|Years: 2009 to 2009||Agency: DOE||Role: Reviewer for Advanced IGCC Program||Description: Provided comprehensive technical and program management review of 16 major projects in DOE's national Advancded IGCC Program|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Former Director and Board Member of National Hydrogen Association.
Steering Committee member of Chemical Industry V2020.
Chaired session on new product development at Frost & Sullivan Summit (’05)
Chaired several sessions at national and international conferences.
|Awards / Recognition|
|Recipient of Chairman’s & Corp Fellows awards for Technology Leadership.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Inventor of over 60 patents,
Author or Co-author of over 30 papers/publications; Co-author of book on membrane separations.
Presented at over 20 conferences and invited lectures.
|Training / Seminars|
|Membrane gas separations;
Oxygen production via ion transport membranes;
Advanced process and reactor for silicon production.
|Broad understanding and contacts in following industries:
Industrial coatings and technologies;
Helium and Rare gases;
Ceramic and polymeric membranes.
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Technology due diligence;
Technology strategy and roadmapping;
New technology commercialization and business development;
IP strategy & portfolio development.
|Hindi||He is proficient and has studied Hindi through high school|
|Malayalam||He can speak Malayalam fluently|
Fields of Expertise
air separation, biofuel, biomass energy system, catalytic combustion, gas separation, hydrogen, ion-selective membrane, membrane process, membrane separation, nitrogen liquefaction, oxygen liquefaction, polymer membrane, carbon capture and storage, combustion instability, inorganic membrane, carbon dioxide liquefaction, carbon dioxide production, gas purification, alternative energy, coal combustion, separations science, membrane processing, separation technology, separation equipment, air purification, combustion, industrial gas, renewable energy system, coal, separation, hydrogen fuel, aquaculture