Expert in Hospital Leadership, Health System Strategy
Expert ID: 736784 Arizona, USA
Expert has significant experience turning around failing organizations and has also further grown established ones through increased market share, patient and physician satisfaction programs, quality and patient safety programs, and capital investment in new technologies. In addition, Expert has consolidated multi-campus boards, medical staff, and administrative leadership teams.
Expert is experienced in healthcare strategy, corporate development, business development, and over a decade of experience.
Expert is a JD/MBA and Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives. Expert can provide litigation advice and consultation and expert testimony at depositions and trials while working for plaintiff and defense counsel.
|Year: 2011||Degree: JD MBA||Subject: Healthcare Business||Institution: Chicago-Kent|
|Year: 2007||Degree: BS||Subject: Liberal Arts - Honors College||Institution: University of Illinois|
|Years: 2019 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: CEO||Department: Hospital Administration|
Responsibilities:CEO over multiple hospitals and access points. Hospitals consist of approximately 1,200 employees and generate annual net operating revenues of $200+ million and serve approximately 13,500 inpatients, 90,000 Expert patients, 8,000 surgical patients, and 33,000 referred outpatients per year.
• Responsible for all enterprise operations for multiple campuses, including oversight of financial, nursing, operational and strategic development functions. Executed consolidation of the board of directors, medical staff, and significant management restructuring ($3m+ labor cost impact) across multiple campuses while decreasing employee voluntary turnover percentage and reducing contract labor. Consolidated covering provider groups across multiple campuses ($2m+ in professional fees impact).
• Achieved the most improved net promoter score in the City of Phoenix from 2019 through 2020. The hospital achieved Comprehensive Stroke Center (CSC) certification including expansion to 24/7 physician on-site critical care coverage. Closed OB program transitioning unit to Surgical Specialty Unit to prepare for elective surgical strategy. Developed cancer surgery strategy with the on-campus cancer center. Transitioned anesthesia department from open to closed model through the recruitment of well-respected group with reliable coverage, quality standards, and annual efficiency gains of ~$500k. Hospital also moved from Leapfrog B to A.
• Abrazo Scottsdale Campus closed OB program and transitioned unit to dedicated orthopedic floor to enhance service line strategy (300% total joint YOY growth) - now busiest orthopedic robotic program in Arizona. Redirected a large orthospine group from competitors. Also, closed margin dilutive services namely Level III Trauma and STEMI. Hospital moved from Leapfrog C to B.
• Operationalized Abrazo Mesa (October 2019); Tenet’s first micro-hospital and Abrazo’s first East Valley location.
|Years: 2017 to 2019||Employer: Tenet Healthcare (S&P 500)||Title: System Chief Strategy Officer||Department: Hospital Administration|
Responsibilities:Group consists of approximately 6,000 employees at 10 hospitals and 2 freestanding EDs which generate annual net operating revenues of approximately $1+ billion and serve approximately 70,000 inpatients, 350,000 Expert patients, 47,000 surgical patients, 10,000 deliveries and 230,000 referred outpatients per year.
• Led multi-system development and implementation of business strategies and service lines including growth of state-wide admissions and market share; physician development, recruitment and redirection; service line/program development; decision support and analytics; marketing and communication.
• Significantly advanced cardiovascular, orthopedics and neurosurgery manpower strategies with strong physician champions; developed internal transfer center for Arizona which resulted in double-digit YOY growth; gained approval on 2 micro-hospital access point locations; improved consistency and alignment of facilities with leadership restructuring.
• From 2017-2018, Group significantly grew market share (+5.4% admissions YOY), EBITDA, physician NPS and all hospitals shifted to Leapfrog A or B only facilities.
• In addition to Group role, served as Hospital Chief Strategy Officer for Abrazo Central and Scottsdale. Stabilized specialty coverage gaps; enhanced neuroscience service line; started surgical oncology strategy; closed unprofitable service lines and focused on strategic service area expansion.
• From 2017-2018, Abrazo Central reversed historical decline such that hospital significantly grew admissions (+2.5% admissions YOY despite closing OB program prior to Q4), EBITDA, physician NPS score (+42) and hospital shifted to Leapfrog B from C.
|Years: 2015 to 2017||Employer: Tenet Healthcare (S&P 500)||Title: Associate Administrator / Hospital Chief Strategy Officer||Department: Hospital Administration|
Responsibilities:Hospitals consist of approximately 1,300 employees and generate annual net operating revenues of $300+ million and serve approximately 15,000 inpatients, 55,000 Expert patients, 12,000 surgical patients, 3,000 deliveries and 40,000 referred outpatients per year.
• Led hospital strategic business development, including growth of facility admissions and market share; physician development, recruitment and redirection; service line/program development; decision support and analytics; marketing and communication.
• Advanced market cardiovascular institute strategy and Hybrid OR expansion at Arizona Heart; OB Laborist/NICU strategy, GME expansion, Robotic surgery capabilities and oncology strategy execution at Arrowhead
• From 2015-2017, significantly grew market share (highest market share growth amongst competition in primary service area; 5%+ admissions YOY), EBITDA and Physician NPS scores (top 5 NPS in Tenet).
• Hospital received the Tenet Circle of Excellence Award (2016)
|Years: 2012 to 2015||Employer: Cancer Treatment Centers of America||Title: Director of Operations||Department: Hospital Administration|
Responsibilities:• Led and coordinated $100+ million in hospital expansion projects including land acquisitions, strategic/operational planning, financial justification, and transaction oversight.
• Led Certificate of Need (CON) process, capacity planning, new service development & implementation and other projects.
• Frequently presented to senior leadership, hospital Board of Directors and members of the Shareholder Group on strategic initiatives.
|Years: 2011 to 2012||Employer: Welltower (Formerly Healthcare REIT - S&P 500)||Title: Investment Analyst||Department: M&A|
Responsibilities:• Reviewed and analyzed business plans, management teams, budgets, and financial statements.
• Supported investment underwriting and credit analyses of potential and ongoing deals.
• Prepared executive summaries on deals for Investment Committee approval.
• Analyst on over $1 billion of international and domestic healthcare real estate and operating company acquisitions.
|Licenses / Certifications|
Fields of Expertise
hospital administration, hospital, healthcare, Lean Six Sigma Healthcare, healthcare vendor oversight, healthcare analytics, healthcare regulatory compliance, hospital assessment, hospital design, hospital equipment, hospital negligence, hospital physician relations, hospital safety, hospital security