Expert in HVAC Systems, Indoor Air Quality, Air Distribribution in Buildings, Thermal Comfort
Expert ID: 729067 United Kingdom
Qualifications BSc (Mech. Eng.), MSc (Heat Transfer), PhD (Aerodynamics), CEng, FIMechE, MCIBSE, MASHRAE
He is a consultant to many businesses in ventilation system design.
|Year: 1974||Degree: PhD||Subject: Aerodynamics||Institution: Nottingham Trent University, UK|
|Year: 1969||Degree: MSc||Subject: Heat Transfer||Institution: University of Manchester, UK|
|Year: 1967||Degree: BSc||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: University of Manchester, UK|
|Years: 1990 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Senior Lecturer then Professor of Building Environmental Science||Department: Construction Management and Engineering||Responsibilities: Professor of Building Environmental Science and Director of the Technologies for Sustainable
Built Environments Centre. Responsibility for a Centre and teaching and research in buildings physics, HVAC and energy performance of buildings and systems.
|Years: 1983 to 1990||Employer: Napier University, Edinburgh||Title:||Department: Department of Mechanical, Manufacturing and Software Engineering||Responsibilities: Responsibility for teaching Thermofluids and Environmental Engineering on the B.Eng. course in Energy Engineering in addition to course administration. Supervised PhD projects on air jets, ventilation and air flow simulation in buildings.|
|Years: 1981 to 1983||Employer: Building Services Research and Information Association, Bracknell, UK||Title:||Department: Air Distribution Section||Responsibilities: Responsibility for the work within the Section which involved design, consultancy and contract research in ventilation and air movement.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, UK
Member of Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, UK
Member of American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioing Engineers
• Previously Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Ventilation, published by Taylor and Francis
• Member of the editorial boards of:
o Renewable Energy Journals
o Journal of Building and Environment
o International Journal of Building Simulation
• Chairman of the Building Simulation Group, Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers, UK
• Visiting Professor at Gävle University, Sweden
• Lecturer for postgraduate courses at Gävle University, Sweden and the EuroAcademy on Ventilation and Indoor Climate
• Visiting Professor at Linköping University, Sweden
• Visiting Professor at the Institute of High Performance Computing, Singapore
• Visiting Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Technology, Lisbon
• Honorary Professor at the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning of Chongqing University, China
• Member of the scientific committees of many international conferences. Acted as Chairman for the International Conference on Air Distribution in Rooms “ROOMVENT 2000”.
• Invited speaker at numerous international conferences on ventilation and indoor climate.
• Expert for evaluating research proposals for research funding agencies in the UK, Finland, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Canada, Qatar, and South Africa and ex-Member of the UK’s EPSRC Engineering Systems evaluation panel and the Portuguese Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) Engineering panel.
• Supervised many PhD projects and examined numerous PhD theses in the UK and Europe.
• External examiner for BEng and MSc courses in many UK and overseas universities; including MSc course at Hong Kong University, Brunel University, UK and University of Central Lancashire, UK.
• Received many awards and recognitions and was awarded the Sanguineti Prize by the Italian AiCARR Institute. This was the first awarded to a non-Italian citizen.
• Article reviewer for numerous conferences and journals.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
The research in room air movement has led to the development of novel and energy efficient room air distribution systems, such as the impinging jet ventilation system (IJVS), developed with Air Innovation AB (Sweden), and the confluent jets ventilation system (CJVS) developed with Fresh AB (Sweden). HVAC plants that are based on the IJVS have been installed in more than 30 buildings in Sweden, among them the Swedish Tax Office Buildings in Stockholm. The CJVS has been installed in more than 70 buildings in Sweden and Finland including office buildings, schools, health care buildings, public buildings, leisure centres, etc.
Author of the computational fluid dynamics code which has been developed specifically for simulating the airflow and heat transfer in and around buildings.
Expert's publications are widely quoted covering room air flow analysis and modelling, air distribution systems, and heat transfer from room surfaces. The results and equations deduced from the latter publications have been included in the Design Guide of the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) and have been incorporated in widely used building energy modelling computer codes in the UK and Europe.
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Acted as expert witness in a number of disputes involving complaints of HVAC system performance and indoor environmental quality.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Chaired and involved in organizing numerous international seminars in ventilation and low energy architecture.
Over 37 years research experience in the following area:
o Indoor air quality
o Indoor thermal environment
o Building ventilation (air jets and room air movement)
o Computational fluid dynamics application to the built environment
o Heat transfer and energy storage
o Renewable energy systems for heating and cooling of buildings
|Developed new ventilation systems with some European manufacturers.|