Expert in Identity Theft, Internet, eCommerce, Authentication, Phishing, and Software Applications, Social Media
Expert has over 31 years of professional experience in the marketing and technology industries, including over 25 years working with and teaching about Internet businesses.
Expert is President (undisclosed) which provides expert witness and consulting services to firms on: Internet history, data breaches (including PCI Compliance), identity theft, digital identity, authentication, social media, Internet strategies, e-commerce, information security, software development, advertising, intellectual property, broadband/speed, user experience, online privacy and security, Internet crime, as well as strategic planning, marketing and business development.
Expert serves as an Adjunct Professor of Business at a university's School of Business where he has taught strategic planning on a part-time basis since Spring 2004.
Previously, Expert worked with various high profile companies in the following roles:
• Chairman & CEO - a single sign-on security software firm that eliminated the need for multiple authentication credentials such as user names, PINs and passwords (Time Warner Cable was its largest client).
• Vice President, Business Development-, a cable TV software concern in the IPTV arena (acquired for approximately $561 million).
• Director, Business Development - Time Warner’s Road Runner High Speed Online (Road Runner was spun off as a separate entity after receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in equity stake investments from the likes of Compaq).
• Analyst and Business Development Consultant - Comcast Online Communications launch team (started when Comcast had 48 trial homes in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, which evolved into Comcast High-Speed Internet and the nation's largest broadband provider with over 11 million subscribers).
• Account Executive - EZ Communications/WIOQ-FM (Q102) in Philadelphia (clients included Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola and Sears).
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: New York, New York - Yonkers, New York - Newark, New Jersey - Jersey City, New Jersey - Paterson, New Jersey - Elizabeth, New Jersey - Trenton, New Jersey - - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Allentown, Pennsylvania - Baltimore, Maryland
|Year: 1997||Degree: MBA||Subject: Management and Marketing||Institution: Columbia Business School|
|Year: 1989||Degree: BA||Subject: Political Science||Institution: University of Pennsylvania|
|Years: 2002 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President||Department:||Responsibilities: Oversees the management consulting and expert witness practice.
Provides business consulting services to Universal Atlantic Systems, Inc. d/b/a UAS, a national provider of integrated security services which serves a diverse client base including food service providers, convenience stores and retailers.
- Retained by one of the world’s leading providers of trusted data aggregation solutions specializing in the financial services industry to develop new business opportunities with the U.S. Government.
- Provided business consulting services to a start-up retail concept that grew from one initial location to over 950 stores in 38 states; offers thousands of trend-right products for teens, as well as pre-teens and other value-minded, trend-conscious consumers, all of which are priced from $1.00 to $5.00. Developed Web site, grand opening marketing model including grand opening merchandising marketing materials that could be used to facilitate rapid growth of store locations across many states.
- Provided business consulting services to an online healthcare company, after its servers and its clients’ personal data were breached.
Developed a walking tour app.
Partnered with McDonald’s to cross-promote The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia and Spirits of ’76 Ghost Tour with the McDonald’s in-store Entertainment Value Centers. Utilized McDonald’s Tray Toppers, Posters & Coupons, along with
McDonald’s radio commercials to offer discounts for seasonally July 4th and Halloween tours with a portion of the proceeds from each ticket sold generating Ronald McDonald House
Charities of Philadelphia.
|Years: 1999 to 2002||Employer: Catavault||Title: President and CEO||Department:||Responsibilities: Single sign-on software application company - managed all aspects of the business.
Company was developed as an online “Fort Knox” that was never unlawfully and fully penetrated by any hackers, and protected its users’ personal data with Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology which encrypted all communications between a user’s Web browser and its servers. Errors and Omissions insurance was underwritten through a special policy with Lloyd’s of London syndicates that utilized IBM Internet Emergency Response
Service to audit the security of the company's network. Privacy certification was audited and certified by both BBBOnLine and TRUSTe. Company also employed a multiple-tiered
architecture with redundant firewalls that prevented unlawful penetration by outside parties.
Recruited and chaired a world-class Board of Directors including the: Former Chief Marketing Officer of The Coca-Cola Company; Retired President and CEO of Philip Morris USA; EVP & CFO of Cott Corp.; and Former Chairman and CEO of Razorfish.
|Years: 1999 to 1999||Employer: MoreCom||Title: Vice President- Business Development||Department:||Responsibilities: A cable TV software concern in the Broadband Internet Over TV and Enhanced TV sector that offered consumer end user subscribers Broadband IP networking connectivity via a digital cable TV set-top box and a standard analog TV set (acquired by Liberate Technologies for approximately $561 million).|
|Years: 1997 to 1999||Employer: Timer Warner Cable||Title: Director, Business Development||Department:||Responsibilities: Strategic planning, deal development. Runner was spun off as a separate entity after receiving hundreds of millions of dollars in
equity stake investments from the likes of Compaq).
deals with third party companies seeking to leverage broadband capabilities, etc. Helped develop Road Runner v.2.0 in terms of licensing and developing back-end technological
infrastructure including user interface and functionality with Razorfish, content management system (“CMS”) from Vignette, database from Sybase, advertising serving and reporting
from DoubleClick, search tools, personal home pages with Homecom, message boards with Modem Media, etc. Worked on the joint venture between Road Runner High Speed Online
and US West’s MediaOne Express.
|Years: 1996 to 1997||Employer: Comcast Online Communications||Title: Analyst and Business Development Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Comcast Online Communications launch team (started when Comcast had 48 trial homes in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, which evolved into Comcast High-Speed Internet/Xfinity Internet and the nation’s largest broadband Internet service provider with over 30.1 million subscribers as of Nov. 2020.|
|Years: 1990 to 1995||Employer: EZ Communications/ WIOQ-FM (Q102)||Title: Account Executive||Department:||Responsibilities: (clients included Anheuser-Busch, Coca-Cola and Sears)|
|Years: 1988 to 1989||Employer: Capital Records, EMI USA and Enigma Records||Title: College Marketing Representative||Department:||Responsibilities: Promoted artists for air-play on college radio stations and coverage in college newspapers; developed merchandising point of sale displays at various music retailers (Tower Records, Sam Goody and indie record stores), and hosted meet and greets with artists at Philly-area concert venues.|
|Years: 1986 to 1986||Employer: U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration||Title: Intern||Department: Office of Textiles and Apparel, International Agreements and Monitoring Division||Responsibilities:|
|Adjunct Professor, Temple University
• Congressional Briefing- Securing significant federal funding for disease research
• New Jersey Education Association
• Columbia Business School
• Temple University’s Fox School of Business
• The Press Club
• eTV World
• Friends of Independence National Historical Park
• Anti-Defamation League’s Board of Directors, Philadelphia
• The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia’s “Modern Day Constitutional Conventions”
• University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School - Leadership in the Business World
Board of Directors & Volunteer Experience
• Board of Directors, United States Tennis Association (USTA) Middle States Section. Chair, Audit Committee (the organization has about approximate $3.2 million in annual revenues and $3.2 million in annual expenses, as well as about $3.5 million in assets).
• Board of Directors, Legacy Youth Tennis, and Education (formerly Arthur Ashe Youth Tennis and Education), a United States Tennis Association Certified Regional Training Center. Chair, Marketing Subcommittee; Search Committee, President and CEO; and Development Committee.
• Judge, Be Your Own Boss Bowl Competition (Business Plan Competition), Temple University’s Fox School of Business
• Peer Chair to Anti-Defamation League’s Glass Leadership Institute in Philadelphia.
• Advisory Board, Solution Media.
• Fellow, Irwin L. Gross eBusiness Institute2 at Temple’s Fox School of Business.
• National Advisory Board of DoctorQuality (acquired by Quantros).
• Served as a member of the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA), the leading industry advocate in promoting open, barrier-free competition in the offering of computer and communications products and services worldwide. Provided expert analysis on online identification and authentication and digital identity, specifically pertaining to industry and corporate strategies, software applications as well as privacy and security implications.
|Awards / Recognition|
|Expert received the Philadelphia Business Journal’s “40 Under 40” award which recognized his labor of love with The Constitutional Walking Tour and honored “proven performers in their respective industries and communities.”|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Invented United States Patent, focusing on methods and systems for secure registration, management, storage, and the linkage of personal authentication cred. data over various networks.
Invented US Patent focusing on methods and systems for quantifying and qualifying athletic skills and competitive results within a social network.
Authored (Undisclosed) Comments to the Federal Trade Commission In the Matter of Microsoft Corporation on the Agreement Containing the Consent Order.
Authored one of the 47 seminal Tunney Act comments regarding the United States v. Microsoft Antitrust Settlement; (undisclosed) Comments were deemed as “major” by the United States Department of Justice. In total, there were 34,000 comments filed, but less than 0.1% were deemed as major.
Authored various work product documents and White Papers on Digital Identity including “Open Sesame White Paper - Online Identification & Authentication Federations” and “(Undisclosed) Technical White Paper”.
Authored book focusing on the prevention of risk from becoming reality.
Served as one of the contributing authors to the first Specifications produced by the Liberty Alliance, the global identity consortium (which initially involved 42 companies including Expert’s firm, as well as American Express, AOL, Sun Microsystems) working to build a more trusted Internet for consumers, governments and businesses worldwide.
|Expert Witness Experience|
| Expert has been retained on a variety of civil matters by various clients interested in his expertise in identity theft, the Internet, domain name disputes, phishing, and other internet security concerns. 25 cases to date.
Expert's thought leadership and expertise in various matters, including in social media, ecommerce, the Internet, identity theft, digital identity, and online privacy and security have been honed through his work on various matters dating back to 1996 including:
Retained in civil litigation cases involving various Plaintiffs and Defendants including: Amazon, Apple, Citigroup, eBay, Facebook, Go Daddy, Google, H&R Block, Infomir, JPMorgan Chase, Micros Retail Systems, Micros Systems, New York Angels, Pinterest, Regents of the University of California, Research in Motion, Samsung, State of Delaware, State of New Jersey, Sun Microsystems, Thomson Reuters, Versata Software, and Yahoo!, etc.
Invited to testify in front of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee on middleware, online identification and authentication as well as Internet competition.
Provided testimony to the United States Senate Appropriations Committee on securing additional Federal funding for Celiac Disease research with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 2019.
|Training / Seminars|
|Invited to participate in ongoing Leadership Pulse market research, Ross School of Business University of Michigan, Center for Effective Organizations at the Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California and eePulse, Inc.
Attended “Cybersecurity Incidence Response: Preparing for the Inevitable and Mitigating Litigation and Enforcement Issues” Webinar, Morgan Lewis.
Attended “2020 Election Outcome: Telecom, Media, and Tech Impacts of the November 2020 Elections” Webinar, Morgan Lewis.
Instructed students at Wharton’s Leadership in the Business World summer programs.
|Received media coverage for his work and/or provided commentary in various media properties including: ABC Radio Networks, BusinessWeek, CNBC, CNN, FOX News, Los Angeles Times, The New York Times, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Business Journal, 6ABC (Philadelphia), KYW Newsradio (Philadelphia), The San Jose Mercury News, The Seattle Times, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, etc.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Served as a Judge for one of the nation’s most lucrative pitch competitions for aspiring entrepreneurs, developed by the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Institute at Temple University’s Fox School of Business.|