Expert in Insurance Industry- Consulting and Expert Testimony
Expert ID: 736232 New Jersey, USA
Prior to forming her group, Expert was an attorney defending municipalities and individual police officers against claims brought under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act, the State and Federal Civil Rights Act, and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination. She was a co-founder of a very prestigious consulting firm, whose primary clients were the New York Liquidation Bureau and the New York Security Fund. At this firm, she played a key role in reinsurance collection and settlement negotiations with policyholders on long tail asbestos, environmental and toxic tort claims.
In previous positions, Ms. Expert was involved in projects involving litigation and claims handling, insolvency investigation, contract interpretation and other matters. She wrote the expert report and served as the testifying expert in the precedent setting trial in New York federal court, a case for rescission of two facultative reinsurance contracts. This case resulted in a successful jury verdict in her client's favor.
Ms. Expert’ in-house insurance claim experience was gained with over a decade at Crum & Forster and AIG. As part of Crum & Forster’s Major Claims Unit, she was solely responsible for coordinating, managing and resolving the company’s highly volatile silicone breast implant and hemophiliac AIDS litigation. This included presentations to reinsurers and regular reinsurance updates. In AIG’s Environmental Claims and First Party Departments, Ms. Expert held several managerial and supervisory positions managing and resolving complex coverage litigation, claims and reinsurance recoveries with Fortune 500 policyholders.
Areas of Expertise:
• Insurance and Reinsurance
• Toxic Torts
• Municipal Liability
|Year: 1988||Degree: JD||Subject: Law||Institution: Temple University School of Law|
|Year: 1985||Degree: BA||Subject: Psychology||Institution: Lehigh University|
|Years: 2013 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Attorney||Department:|
Responsibilities:Defense of municipalities and individual police officers against claims under the New Jersey Tort Claims Act, the State and Federal Civil Rights Act, and the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, which representation includes employment discrimination, retaliation, § 1983 and CEPA claims.
• Tries all aspects of cases including court appearances, trial preparation, motions, depositions, discovery, arbitration, mediation and settlement negotiations.
• Communicates regularly and concisely with clients, claimprofessionals, co-counsel and others to ensure appropriate level of understanding and documentation exists for effective case management.
• Conducts legal research and analysis of facts and information to provide counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues. Prepares opinions or position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of legal issues/provisions.
|Years: 2010 to 2013||Employer: Eastpoint Consulting||Title: Partner||Department:|
Responsibilities:Co-founder of a five-person consulting company whose primary clients were the New York Liquidation Bureau and the New York Security Fund. Managed all aspects of long-tail general liability claims, including collecting and analyzing claim and policy data, performing detailed claim audits, and completing allocation analyses. Played a key role in reinsurance collection and settlement negotiations with policyholders.
• Secured multi-year contracts to resolve claims against Midland, Union Indemnity, Ideal Mutual and Home Insurance Companies in Liquidation
• Authored allowance reports that successfully resulted in over $200M in approved Midland allowances, and processed multiple disallowances with the Liquidation Court
• Settled and processed over $25M in asbestos claims lodged against low-level umbrella policies issued by Home Insurance
|Years: 2000 to 2010||Employer: Navigant Consulting||Title: Independent Consultant||Department: Insurance|
Responsibilities:Served as a consultant for a company that provided insurance and reinsurance outsourcing services involving litigation and claims handling, insolvency investigation, contract interpretation, and other matters. Managed staff of 2-5 professionals on engagements involving commercial litigation.
• Performed detailed research, wrote the expert report, and served as testifying expert for Gerling in the precedent-setting Gerling Global v. ACE trial in New York federal court, a case for rescission of two facultative reinsurance contracts. This case resulted in a successful jury verdict in Gerling’s favor.
• Played a key role in the Arrowpoint engagement, which required supervision of outside defense attorneys in asbestos bodily injury litigation, including discovery, motion practice, and settlement of claims with asbestos claimants.
• Developed and implemented account procedures and protocols and implemented changes to workflow, which saved the client indemnity and defense dollars and allowed accurate reporting and forecasting on asbestos accounts.
|Years: 1996 to 1999||Employer: Crum & Forster||Title: Senior Technical Specialist||Department: Envision Claims Manager|
Responsibilities:Responsible for the supervision, valuation, and resolution of the largest hazardous waste, asbestos, and other long-tail lawsuits brought against the Talegen companies.
• Effectively managed of the Hercules v. AIU hazardous waste litigation, which included complex motion and discovery practice. Took the first phase of the case through a 16-week trial, resulting in a successful defense verdict.
• Solely responsible for coordinating, managing and resolving the company’s highly volatile silicone breast implant and hemophiliac AIDS litigation
|Years: 1989 to 1996||Employer: American International Group||Title: Multiple - see below||Department: Multiple - see below|
Responsibilities:Environmental Claim Liaison, First Party Department 1996
Responsible for ensuring consistency between claim handling and company positions with regard to environmental claims between Home Office Environmental Claims Department and First Party Department.
• Standardized claims handling procedures, reorganized the file system, and trained property claims professionals.
Assistant Manager, Environmental Claim Department 1993-1996
Managed the declaratory judgment unit, which consisted of 20+ claim professionals and staff in over 250 lawsuits brought by policyholders seeking coverage for environmental damage.
Senior Supervisor, Environmental Claim Department 1990-1993
Supervised a unit of 5-8 claim department professionals in analyzing, managing, and resolving complex coverage litigation and claims with Fortune 500 policyholders.
• Testified in numerous declaratory judgment actions as AIG’s corporate witness/deponent
|Licenses / Certifications|
|New Jersey Bar 1988
Pennsylvania Bar 1988
New York Casualty Adjusters License 2004
Fields of Expertise
insurance, insurance audit, insurance claim, insurance claim audit, insurance claim handling, insurance claims adjusting, insurance coverage, insurance defense, insurance dispute, liability insurance, casualty insurance, excess and surplus insurance, general liability insurance, insurance arbitration, reinsurance, facultative reinsurance, treaty reinsurance, mediation, police, police liability, police brutality, police misconduct, toxic tort, asbestos