Expert in Insurance, InsurTech; Strategy & Innovation
Expert ID: 736706 California, USA
Accomplished business strategist, product innovator, and former management consultant with 15 years experience in business strategy, innovation, product design, project management, financial analysis, venture, and partnerships at Fortune 500 organizations in the insurance, technology, automotive, eCommerce, and healthcare industries.
Creative thinker who rolls up his sleeves to deliver business results. Manager of teams, with P&L responsibility driving proven and repeatable practices and individual employee development. Tenacious, confident and credible leader of strategy alignment with senior executives. Adept at bringing technical experts and creative types together to form high-performing teams, inspiring commitment and working at speed. Design thinker with academic and business experience bringing unique business models, products, and services to market. Lifelong learner and listener.
|Year: 2014||Degree: MBA||Subject: MBA||Institution: Stanford University|
|Year: 2007||Degree: BA||Subject: Economics||Institution: UC Berkeley|
|Years: 2014 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Managing Principal||Department: Strategy & Innovation|
Responsibilities:Addresses disruption of the traditional insurance industry through a focus on implementing new technologies inside the company to make insurance simple, proactive, and personal. He currently leads the InsurTech practice and serves in leadership roles throughout the organization, including telematics, embedded insurance, AI in underwriting/claims, commercial mobility, and other areas related to technological advancement in P&C insurance. Is driven by a passion of creating real value that improves member lives. He is a recognized thought leader in the mobility and insurance space, speaking at events including CES, SXSW, InsurTech Connect, DigIn, OnRamp, Connected Insurance Summit, and the Internet of Insurance.
|Years: 2016 to 2017||Employer: AAA Insurance (CSAA IG)||Title: Principal, Strategy & Innovation||Department:|
|Years: 2014 to 2016||Employer: AAA Insurance (CSAA IG)||Title: Manager, Corporate Strategy||Department:|
Responsibilities:- Built core innovation team from the ground up to partner with business teams to launch innovative solutions within legacy insurance operations, leveraging cutting-edge technology and lean innovation techniques.
- Developed companywide strategic initiatives in conjunction with C-Suite leadership. Worked with business leaders to scope, cost, and time rollout across 4,000 employees impacting $4B of insurance revenue.
- Completed acquisition of multiple venture back startups into the company family. Conducting commercial due diligence, business case development supported valuation, and lead overall integration plan in deal structuring.
- Hired, supervised, and promoted the growth of diverse strategy and innovation teams. Fostered a supportive environment resulting in business success, succession planning, and promotion for multiple team members.
- Built portfolio of adjacent InsurTech opportunities that leveraged company strengths and incorporated technologies to offer new products and services to policyholders or drastically changed our approach to current business.
- Evaluated and supported the investment strategy of multiple venture capital investments, including Automatic Labs, OwlCam, Cape Analytics, and RapidSOS. Led partnering strategy and execution with the core business.
- Designed and set up a growth operating system program where employees are pulled from throughout the business to address specific opportunity areas over a dedicated six month commitment. Concepts are pitched to C-Suite executives and funded in a venture capital style format. The program focuses on testing an opportunity area quickly by rapidly prototyping concepts with customers and killing or pursuing concepts.
- Conceptualized, designed, and setup Mobilitas Insurance, a wholly new commercial insurance company that was built from the ground up to serve the unmet needs of carsharing platforms, vehicle subscription companies, and ridesharing platforms and sets AAA up for the ability to underwrite autonomous vehicles of the future.
- Grew commercial insurance practice from infancy to a hundred million in revenue in two years through business development, partnership with core business, and wiliness to identify unmet needs in the sharing economy.
- Executed a first-of-its-kind pilot program with Lyft as an insurance alternative to traditional rental car offerings. Program significantly boosted customer NPS, resulted in millions in cost savings annually, garnered national media attention, and reframed AAA as a forward thinking insurer.
- Piloted technology that utilizes satellite imagery and advanced algorithms in property underwriting, leading to millions in loss cost avoidance and a scalable solution at the point of sales for agents writing new AAA business.
- Analyzed and presented regularly to the Board of Directors on competitive landscape and industry trends.
- A recognized thought leader in the technology, insurance, and innovation space with presentations and panel discussions at CES, South By Southwest (SXSW), Lean Startup, InsurTech Connect, and Innovation Leader.
|Years: 2011 to 2014||Employer: Alvarez and Marsal LLC||Title: Sr. Consultant||Department:|
|Years: 2008 to 2011||Employer: Archstone Consulting||Title: Sr. Analyst||Department:|
|Years: 2004 to 2007||Employer: Booz & Company, Inc. (Strategy & division of PwC)||Title: Summer Associate||Department:|
Responsibilities:- Developed executive-level strategy and planning documentation for an $800M auto club client of future offerings including mobile mechanics, commercial emergency roadside services, and battery program. Opportunities ranged in size from $10M to $29M. Created business cases, opportunity enabler matrix, and journey maps.
- Utilized GIS mapping software to optimize branch network for an $800M auto club client’s 100 retail locations given demographic and physiographic information (population density, insurance spending, median household income, etc). Proposed branch relocation to areas that better aligned with profitable clientele.
- Evaluated current state of contracting, risk assessment, and due diligence operations for a $5B global financial services client. Led client through Lean Six Sigma value stream mapping, capability maturity matrices, cycle time analysis, and benchmarking client practices against competitors. Implemented changes to process and organization that focused on speed and operational efficiencies resulting in a 45% reduction in cycle time.
- Identified root causes of asset management shortcomings for a $47B health insurance client. Traced $75M in idle IT assets in 3rd party warehouses. Recommended changes to planning, JIT procurement, incentives, and warehousing processes that allowed clients to reduce inventory by 90% and close warehouses within one year.
- Created and presented introductory Lean Six Sigma training material to the internal audience and external clients (20-30 students in each class). Material included presentations on value stream mapping, waste analysis, and interactive case-based activities that allowed students to practice what they learned in a simulated setting.
- Analyzed the entire supply chain including warehouse handling, bulk manufacturing, packaging, and distribution for a $700M vitamin manufacturer client. Facilitated workshops to understand the root causes of material delays throughout the supply chain and implement sustainable solutions. Tracked metrics collection and developed a fill rate projection tool helping the client reach their goal of 95% on-time delivery and 98.5% filled correctly.
- Crafted a case for a $5B supermarket chain client to lobby for changes in state alcohol laws in New York and Pennsylvania allowing wine sales in grocery stores. Using US Census data, demographic information, and the proprietary IMPACT databank, modeled scenarios that generated job growth and $350M in tax revenue.
- Streamlined categorization frameworks and processes for products of a $6B online retailer. Categorization effort led to 35% greater search capabilities, improved site navigation, and better resource allocation for clients.
|Years: 1997 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Certified State Referee, Nationwide||Department:|
Responsibilities:Officiate semi-professional (the level below MLS) and collegiate NCAA Division 1 soccer players traveling nationwide for US Soccer and Pac-12 conference. Certified instructor and assessor for US Soccer.
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Certified State Soccer Referee|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|VOLUNTEERISM AND INTERESTS
Techstars, IDEO Co-Lab, Global Insurance Accelerator, Startupbootcamp, Advisor and Mentor
- Mentor and advisor to early and mid-stage startups in the FinTech/InsurTech space. Guide founders on entrepreneurship, product-market fit, venture investment, industry experience, and networking.
University of California, Berkeley, Industry Fellow, and Guest Lecturer
- Teach entrepreneurship, product design, design thinking, and product management courses with Sutardja Center of Entrepreneurship & Technology, UC Berkeley.