Expert in Market Research: Insights and Analytics
Expert's deep proficiency includes a wide variety of types of market research across the consumer packaged goods, foodservice and business-to-business industries, including (among others) focus groups, ethnography and shopalongs; consumer and shopper segmentation; copy testing; brand positioning; brand messaging; innovation; new product development; product optimization; concept optimization; packaging testing; sensory testing; pricing researching; forecasting; pricing; analytics and modling (including price, promotion, market structure, panel analytics, and MMA); custom and syndicated data analysis; brand equity tracking; consumer trends; business-to-business research; international research; shopper insights; and marketplace trends.
Consult on market research projects across CPG, Foodservice, Retail, B2B and Media industries
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Columbus, Ohio - Cleveland, Ohio - Toledo, Ohio - Akron, Ohio - Youngstown, Ohio - Canton, Ohio - Lorain, Ohio - Lakewood, Ohio - Elyria, Ohio - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
|Year: 1992||Degree: MBA||Subject: Marketing||Institution: Case Western Reserve University|
|Year: 1990||Degree: BSBA||Subject: Finance||Institution: Ohio State University|
|Years: 2015 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert is currently a Market Research consultant for various clients in the CPG, Foodservice, Retail and Media industries.|
|Years: 2004 to 2015||Employer: The J.M. Smucker Company||Title: Director, Consumer & Market Insights||Department: Consumer & Market Insights||Responsibilities: Expert led insights development and fact-based, decision support for s portfolio of iconic brands during historic period of Company growth as 400% growth demanded more and better insights.
• Development: Expert recruited, managed and mentored a high-performing team of insights professionals who came to be regarded as a center of excellence and whose contributions elevated role of Market Research within Company. He improved existing research programs and developed new, innovative methods while effectively managing growth in team size (2 to 7) and budget ($3M to $10M).
• Strategic: Expert directed consumer segmentation across 5 key product categories (Fruit Spreads, Peanut Butter, Coffee, Baking, Oils) that created enterprise-wide impact. His insights laid the foundation for business planning, marketing programs, innovation and record-setting advertising.
• Innovation: Expert played a pivotal role in positioning and successful launch of new products delivering incremental sales, share and profits, including:
- Folgers K-Cups: IRI New Product Pacesetter award winner with $123M in Year 1 sales and 14% share of important K-cup segment within evolving Coffee category.
- Dunkin’ Donuts Ground Coffee: $500M+ in cumulative sales since introduction and among most profitable items in Company.
- Jif To Go, Jif Whips, Jif Bars: Innovations in convenience and indulgent snacking with sales exceeding $100M.
- Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest: Strategic launch of premium offering quickly achieved #2 segment share while lifting profitability and brand relevance in mature category.
- Pillsbury Funfetti, Smucker’s Uncrustables, Crisco healthful oils (Olive, Omega-3, Natural Blend) innovative brand extensions driving topline sales and enhancing brand equity.
• Analytics: Expert provided numerous contributions and business impacts from analytics and research programs:
- MMA insights helped drive 48% improvement in marketing efficiency over 5-year timeframe, a notable achievement in era of intense competition, commodity price inflation and emergence of digital marketing.
- Identified pricing/promotion opportunities that resolved volume issues across key accounts.
- Strategic research supporting key initiatives: category research and corporate positioning for China market, shopper insights for Smucker Innovation Center, J.M. Smucker Company Store & Café.
|Years: 1998 to 2004||Employer: Wendy's International Inc.||Title: Sr. Global Market Research Analyst||Department: Marketing Research & Analytics||Responsibilities: Expert managed market research programs for domestic and international businesses, including: development of new menu items, product sensory testing, brand tracking, industry and consumer trends, NPD CREST analyses, market entry and Company acquisitions.
His innovation insights contributed to successful launch of Garden Sensations salad line, Super Value Menu and core menu items, and numerous promotional sandwiches.
|Years: 1995 to 1998||Employer: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company||Title: Assistant Product Manager||Department: Marketing||Responsibilities: Expert teamed with Marketing Director to exceed sales and profit goals for the company’s key business unit.
Expert assumed extensive marketing and product line responsibilities for the Consumer Lawns business, including Scotts Lawn Pro, Warehouse Club (Costco, Sam’s Club, BJ’s) and Canadian retail customers.
|Years: 1993 to 1995||Employer: The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company||Title: Market Research Analyst||Department: Market Research||Responsibilities: During his time with this foundational career assignment, Expert conducted heavy analyses and reporting of primary consumer research, market share and sales data.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Extensive market research training and seminars, including numerous courses with Burke Institute|
|Extensive experience with many vendor partners in market research|
|Brand management experience|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Team leadership and development