Expert in Marketing, Big Consumer Data/CRM and Custom Research
Expert ID: 733047 Hong Kong
30 years experience in customer insight/market research. Worked as a user, provider, and intermediary. Skilled at understanding senior marketing and management concerns and designing and then analyzing research that provides actionable output. Experience in most industries, extensive financial services, Telco, electronics, retail and FMCG experience. Have worked globally, last 18 based in Asia, focusing on Asia, China and also developing markets globally.
|Year: 1986||Degree: MBA with High Distinction (Baker Scholar)||Subject: Business||Institution: Harvard Business School|
|Year: 1979||Degree: BS Magna Cum Laude||Subject: Economics||Institution: Wharton School, U of Penn|
|Year: 1979||Degree: BA Magna Cum Laude||Subject: Conflict Management||Institution: College, U of Penn|
|Years: 2011 to 2013||Employer: SingTel||Title: Head||Department: Living Analytics (Big Data Team)|
Responsibilities:• Created team of ~30 that integrated Big Data R&D, applied customer data and customer insight.
• Drove business use of insight and data by focusing work on end users’ key decisions and pointed actionable findings; many examples of changed decisions due to clear, concise, insightful findings.
• Recruited diverse team, including 7 Ph.D’s, data scientists, seconded agency talent, supplier partnerships.
• Built community panels that delivered low cost, high quality, rapid results.
• Guided thinking on use of personalized recommendation engines, location pattern analysis, video usage data, CDRs, etc. that is core to many emerging opportunities.
|Years: 2004 to 2009||Employer: Synovate||Title: Global Director, Knowledge Management and Customer Insights||Department: Global|
Responsibilities:• Created tools, techniques, training and mentoring to raise the value clients received from research.
• Developed proposal and reporting templates adopted globally.
• Consulted on most challenging and largest client projects.
Lead “Hot Spots”, award winning marketing program that delivered compelling customer insight across ~40 markets.
|Years: 2015 to 2016||Employer: Hong Kong Telecom||Title: Head||Department: Project Emerald (Big Data Team)|
Responsibilities:Established Big Data Team to monetize data via internal use and collaboration with external clients.
|Years: 1986 to 2003||Employer: McKinsey & Company||Title: Senior Marketing Expert, SEM, EM, Associate||Department: Asia Pacific Marketing Practice|
Responsibilities:• Created and lead Asia-Pacific marketing practice.
• Built team based in 10 offices that provided practice support of client marketing work across region.
• Lead CRM, Pricing, Market Research, NPD work across region.
• Developed global PFS survey that delivered distinctive insight into developing market financial services.
Senior CRM Expert
Co-founded McKinsey’s Global CRM practice.
Senior Engagement Manager
Lead marketing projects across multiple industries, domestically and globally.
|Years: 1980 to 1984||Employer: Procter & Gamble||Title: Brand Manager, Assistant Brand Manager, Brand Assistant||Department: PS&D, BS&HCP|
Responsibilities:Managed established and new brands in Packaged Soap and Bar Soap Divisions.
|Years: 1978 to 1980||Employer: Sunshine Book||Title: Owner/Founder||Department:|
Responsibilities:Started profitable college textbook retailer while a student at the University of Pennsylvania.
|Associations / Societies|
|Twice Chair of AFS-USA Board of Directors Board, Board member for over a decade, the leading international high school foreign exchange organization|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Published 4 articles in McKinsey Quarterly, delivered 5 speeches at Esomar conferences, PFS Survey findings was cited several times in Wall Street Journal and other publications. "52 Things We Wish Someone Had Told Us About Customer Analytics."