Expert in Materials Engineering and Thermal Spray Application
Expert ID: 739216 Ohio, USA
He possesses expertise in Thermal Spray processes, application development, and technology transfer globally.
Expert has worked with world leaders in surface solutions, including a Swiss-based multi-national corporation, were he executed many application development and technology transfer projects in Europe and India.
Expert possesses over nine years’ experience as an Experienced Engineering Professional with a demonstrated history of working in the surface solutions and engineering industries. These fields include Power Generation, Aero, Oil and Gas, and General IM.
Expert is skilled in Thermal Spray, Cold Spray and Thin Film Coating Applications. He completed fast-track training and application transfer training from Oerlikon Metco Germany in 2017 and Switzerland in 2019. He is certified as a specialist in Thermal Spray Processes and Application Techniques.
Expert specializes in Cylinder Block Engine Bore Coating and Steam Turbine Casings, as well as Seal Ring Segment Abradable Coating Operations for the steam Clearance Control and Engine efficiency improvements.
In addition to Application Development and Technology Transfer, Expert is highly skilled and experienced in Process Documentation, e.g., PFD, Work Instructions, PFMEA, Control Plans, APQP and PPAP for audits and certifications.
Expert has worked thoroughly in Plant Operation Management, Quality Management Systems, HSE Management Systems, and Implementation Support. He is highly skilled in customer focus and Shop-In-Shop work.
A strong engineering professional, Expert holds a Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) focused in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering. As a specialist in in Material Technology, he also possesses a B.E. in Metallurgy. While pursing his Master’s degree dissertation, Expert studied and worked on a feasibility study on Plasma Oxidation Processes for Thermal Barrier Coatings. In this capacity, Expert developed PGO (Plasma Grown Oxide) layer experience. This component reflects the interface of TBC composite layer of NiCrAlY bond coat and 8%YSZ topcoat. TGO is the oxide layer formed in between bond coat and topcoat layer, which has sharp flake shape delta and gamma alumina phase. This material exhibits a very high growth rate and a cause to crack and failure of coating. To reduce TGO layer rate, Expert has developed Plasma Grown Oxide (PGO) layers with alpha alumina in globular shape — and a lower growth rate than TGO. PGO increases the coating life and reduces the failure rate of TBC coating. Expert has published his worked paper on this subject, and related fields, in conferences in India.
|Year: 2014||Degree: Master of Engineering||Subject: Metallurgical and Materials Engineering specialize in Material Technology||Institution: The M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, Gujarat, India|
|Years: 2022 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Senior Manager||Department: Materials and Thermal Spray Experts|
• Thermal Spray and Cold Spray related application development for the industry.
• Focus on Cold Spray Technology and Application.
• Knowledge of applications and technology transfer
• Contribution to seminars, conferences and exhibitions related to both thermal and cold spray.
• Technical support to operations and sales teams
• Process development and optimization, including process documentation like work instructions and related activities
• Costing estimation support to sales team for new applications and inquiries
• Closely working with the President for key customers’ projects
• Digital process flow and parameter preparation and transformation in Data M systems
|Years: 2020 to 2022||Employer: (Undisclosed)||Title: Senior Engineer||Department: Applications: Thermal Spray|
Responsibilities:Within key roles in Applications Development and Technology Transfer, Expert was responsible for:
- New Application Development: Thermal Spray
- Successful completion of Global Application and Technology Transfer Projects
- Applications and Process Documentation
- Work Instructions, Control Plans, PFMEA (Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis), APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning), and PPAP (Production Part Approval Processes) for an automotive customer,
- HSE and Quality documents Implementation support to team to achieve ISO9001 ad AS9100:D and IATF 16949.
- Costings and estimation support to sales team on new RFQ's
- DoE for new coating applications: Coating process development, parameter optimization, and coating testing and evaluation per customer requirement specifications
- Developing and leveraging expertise of SUME8100 Abradable Coating for Steam Turbine Engines Casings and Cylinder Bore coating for engine cylinder block coatings
- Design and development of masking and blasting parameters for better coating and compliance to customer specifications and requirements
- Application training to team members.
- Working closely with global teams (R&D and Products) in customer development and support for any challenges
- Serving in customer interface to support the sales and service teams
- OOE and Application Training to internal colleagues
- Working on the Operation Excellence Program, including cost savings and improvements
- B2B market analysis to new applications requirement in Thermal Spray
|Years: 2017 to 2020||Employer: (Undisclosed)||Title: Team Leader: Metco Coating Services||Department: India and Germany Operations|
Responsibilities:- Implementation of Thermal Spray Coating Operation controls Process, Quality Management System, HSE Management System, Customer Specification, and Documentation-Reports and standardized records
- Project planning and execution
- Expertise of SUME®8100 Application and Operation
- DoE of Abradable Coating
- Technology Transfer
- Support to sales and marketing teams on TSS business growth
- Application Process Development for new segments and components of customer, offers and pricing calculations for new inquiry for coatings
- Expertise in Abradable coating processes and applications for power sector
- Flame Spray Coating operations of Steam Turbine Component with optimizing parameters for different application
- Serving as quality witness of coating thickness, Rockwell Hardness HR15Y scale for coating, Micro-structure, and visual Inspections
- Support to the team in ABB Robot programming Teaching, Design of Masking with calculation, Vacuum
Blasting, Flame Spray Coating and its parameters
- All KPI inline P&L, GSR/Manhour, High Gross Margin, HSE & Cost Savings, Maintain Sales budgets,
Inventory Management, Maintenance records, Work on OOE, 5S, Lean, Visual Management, Skill Matrix,
Training, Cost Saving, Team Leadership, Presentation…
- Good awareness of Oerlikon Metco Make Flame Spray 6C Core system with 9MP powder Feeder, 4GF
rotameter, 6PII-A & H spray gun.
- Completed the fast track training (3 month) & application transfer from Oerlikon Metco Germany,
- 100% customer face operation in-house with GE Power Steam India
|Years: 2017 to 2020||Employer: (Undisclosed)||Title: Senior Technical Engineer||Department: Thermal Spray Department|
Responsibilities:The portfolio includes experience in the Power, Oil and Gas, Steel, and IM sectors. Responsibilities:
1. Technical and marketing support to the team in thermal spray coating services across the country and also for customers abroad
2. Development, repair and maintenance solutions for industrial components against wear and tear using
Thermal Spray coating technology
3. Participating in numerous seminars, technical conferences, exhibitions, and other industry events
4. Technical support in the execution of repair and maintenance jobs from different industries at site and in-house.
5. Collaboration with major clients throughout India and elsewhere
6. Development of new vendors -- including the submission of proper documentation processes per client requirements, e.g. ONGC-MRPL, IGL Delhi, BHEL, QP, and others
7. Maintaining quality standards per specifications
|Years: 2013 to 2014||Employer: Institute for Plasma Research||Title: Project Trainee||Department:|
Responsibilities:Master Thesis work and Project Trainee role:
R&D project work on feasibility studies regarding plasma oxidation processes for Thermal Barrier Coatings (TBC's).
Sponsored by Department of Atomic Energy and the Board of Research and Nuclear Science India, as well as the Facilitation Center for Industrial Plasma Technologies and the Institute for Plasma Research (IPR).
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2017 to 2021||Country / Region: Europe||Summary: Expert has worked on numerous Thermal Spray application development and technology transfer projects in Germany and Switzerland.|
|Years: 2014 to 2021||Country / Region: India||Summary: Expert has worked on numerous power plant and gulf industry projects regarding thermal spray aluminum coating. He has also worked in the energy sector for steam turbine abradable coating application project for steam seal path clearance control using flame powder spray technology with abradable coating.|
|Associations / Societies|
|American Society for Metals,
Thermal Spray Society
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Certified specialist: Thermal Spray Processes and Application Techniques by Oerlikon Metco Germany (2017)
Certified in Thermal Spray Application and Processes Overview by Oerlikon Metco.
Certified SUMEBore Plasma Process Operation Expert for Automotive Cylinder Block Coating by Oerlikon Metco Swiss (2021)
Certified in Establishment of Thermal Spray Coating Services in Ahmedabad (first Oerlikon Metco's onsite coating center shop-in-shop)
Certified in Basic Robot Operation and Programming Training by ABB Robotics (2017)
Certified in Metallographic Preparation of Coatings (2022, Buehler)
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has published, and presented at conferences regarding, a study on Plasma Oxidation Processes for Thermal Barrier Coatings. He has also published on feasibility studies regarding Plasma Oxidation Process for Thermal Barrier Coatings.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Expert has attended global platform training to develop expertise in thermal spray coating processes and application techniques. He has also provided many training sessions related to Thermal Spray.|
|Expert has worked on vendor development in India for some specific aero projects.|
|Expert has attended numerous conferences and seminars related to materials, thermal spray, and heat treatments.|
Fields of Expertise
thermal spray technology, thermal spray coating process, abrasion-resistant coating material, American Society for Testing and Materials, bond strength, coating thickness, metallography, microstructure analysis, thermal spray coating material, thermal spray aluminum, plasma spraying, electric-arc spraying, aerospace coating material, thermal barrier coating material, carbide coating material, energy-efficient steam turbine