Expert in Materials Science
Expert is highly experienced in chemistry and materials engineering consulting, specializing in the application of science, technology, and laboratory testing to solve unique problems and to perform forensic analysis. Expert possesses a broad general chemistry knowledge that is invaluable to understanding the interaction of materials on a molecular level.
He has extensive experience designing and building experimental apparatus and performing analytical testing of a wide variety of substances, interpreting the results, and providing detailed reports summarizing the findings. His practical experience includes performing testing to determine the strength, physical, chemical, and wear properties of ceramics, metals, composites, plastics, and polymers. Expert has a Doctorate in Inorganic Chemistry, a M.S. and B.A. in Chemistry, and conducted Postdoctoral research in Materials Engineering.
• Assisted client with confirmation of chemical incompatibility between food product and hydrocarbon- containing packaging that led to significant product loss.
• Led investigations to scientifically quantify and document numerous types of consumer product contamination cases involving insurance disputes in preparation for potential litigation.
• Led a multidisciplinary investigation into the contamination of warehouse inventory
exposed to a natural gas leak.
• Carried out ASTM standardized testing to determine the concentration of hydrocarbons in polystyrene beads via gas chromatography.
• Investigated and made recommendations for clients living in a rural home exhibiting toxic house syndrome.
• Investigated properties of spray polyurethane foam (SPF) insulation ranging from flame spread properties, fire retardant identity and concentration, effect of application variables on foam properties, and nature of off-gassing.
• Investigated the cause and origin of symptoms related to problem Chinese drywall.
Designed and carried out experiments that demonstrated whether or not samples of
drywall possess these problematic characteristics. Invented a minimally invasive, portable field test to identify problem drywall using a ¼” core sample.
• Performed testing of limestone starting material and gypsum product from large scale flue gas desulfurization system recently installed in coal-fired power plant. Assisted client in root cause determination of problems encountered in the system due to impurities found in starting material.
• Invented new fire-retardant formulation for construction related product currently moving toward plant trials with targeted company-wide implementation.
He has studied methods of characterizing a wide variety of materials including plastics, polymers, rubber, composites, ceramics, and metals. Many past projects involve building materials such as drywall, paints and pigments, cement, and stucco. Polyurethanes used in foam insulation, automotive interiors, and elastomers, have also been subjects of past project work.
Analytical Testing and Research
• Carried out proof pressure and helium leak testing of stainless steel filters that are
currently in use on the International Space Station.
• Developed and characterized method for the preparation of nanoporous silicon structures to be used for solid phase storage of hydrogen in alternative energy applications.
• Co-invented system being developed and trialed to demonstrate the ability to produce
oxygen from simulated lunar soil with support of a lunar base the ultimate goal.
• Investigated the gasification of various feedstocks, including biomass, municipal solid
waste, and discarded consumer products, as a means for alternative energy generation.
• Expert in the use and implementation of the following analytical techniques, among
others: SEM/EDS, FTIR, Auger Electron and X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, NMR,
GC, GC/MS, HPLC, GPC, ICP, XRD, DSC, TGA, various mechanical testing and
evaluation of thermal properties.
Areas of Specialization:
Plastics, Polymers, and Rubbers
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Los Angeles, California - San Diego, California - Long Beach, California - Santa Ana, California - Anaheim, California - Riverside, California - Glendale, California - Huntington Beach, California - San Bernardino, California - Chula Vista, California
|Year: 1998||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Inorganic Chemistry||Institution: University of Chicago|
|Year: 1995||Degree: M.S.||Subject: Inorganic Chemistry||Institution: University of Chicago|
|Year: 1994||Degree: B.A.||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: Illinois Wesleyan University|
|Years: 2017 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Senior Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide expert consulting services on projects servicing clients in litigation, insurance, and industrial matters.|
|Years: 2006 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Co-Founder / Chief Scientist||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide technical insight and leadership in advanced materials development as part of the demonstration of alternative energy reactors targeting commercialization for stationary power sources.|
|Years: 2014 to 2017||Employer: Caulfield Engineering||Title: Principal Scientist||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide expert consulting services on projects servicing clients in litigation, insurance, and industrial matters.|
|Years: 2011 to 2014||Employer: ITC Experts, Inc.||Title: Director of Chemistry & Materials||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide expert consulting services on projects servicing clients in litigation, insurance, and industrial matters.|
|Years: 2008 to 2011||Employer: Packer Engineering, Inc.||Title: Senior Consultant||Department:|
|Years: 2000 to 2006||Employer: Ultramet, Inc.||Title: Senior Research Scientist||Department: Engineering||Responsibilities: Write proposals for and manage government sponsored research programs.|
|Associations / Societies|
|American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
Voting Member of Committees C16 – Thermal Insulation, D11 – Rubber and
Rubber-Like Materials, D20 – Plastics, D22 – Air Quality, and F08 – Sports
Equipment, Playing Surfaces, and Facilities
American Chemical Society
Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers
|Awards / Recognition|
|Alumni Academic Scholarship
Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award