Expert in Mixed Analog and Digital Microelectronics, Electrical Circuits and Systems, Forensic Engineering
Examples of communication and control systems are:
• Internet of Things (IOT) systems
• Audio amplifiers
• Audio recording/play-back systems
• Telephones, mobile phones, and cell phones
• Voltage regulators and battery chargers
• Data transmitting/receiving systems such as serializer/de-serializers (SERDES)
• Power-management devices including switch-mode power converters
• Lithium ion battery management systems
• Data recording/retrieving systems for magnetic media such as disk drives or magnetic tape
• Video systems, such as television and webcams making use of CCDs
• Radio transmitters/receivers and their building blocks such as low noise amplifiers, filters, automatic gain control, oscillators, frequency synthesizers and phase-locked loops, and frequency mixers (down-converters, up-converters)
• Heat, ventilation, and air conditioning controllers (HVAC)
• Traffic light control and emergency preemption systems
• Remote control systems for hobbyist aircraft and vehicles
• Pressure sensors for reading depth of fluid column
• Electrical equipment power and grounding
As a technical consultant, Expert has broad and deep understanding of analog/mixed-signal (AMS) circuits and systems, as well as strong experience with design verification, especially for chip-level analog and mixed-signal ICs. He independently reviews and verifies digital and analog/mixed-signal ICs using electronic design automation (EDA) software before funds are committed to manufacturing the design.
• Advise and provide solutions for top-down design methodologies, and the analysis, design, modeling and verification of RF, analog and digital circuits. For design verification (DV) of Systems-on-Chip (SOC) with embedded AMS sub-systems I develop DV strategies, verification plans, create behavioral models and test-cases to execute the verification-plan (V-Plan)
• Create behavioral models of electrical circuits, wireless system components and electro- mechanical units to be used for DV. DV languages include universal verification methodology (UVM), System Verilog (SV) using real-number modeling (RNM) of analog signals and systems, Verilog, Verilog- AMS, VHDL, VHDL-AMS, Verilog-A, Spice, Spectre and others
• IC Circuit-Design and DV tools include those by Cadence and Mentor Graphics
• Design algorithms, software, and hardware for system self-tuning and calibration
Client products include:
• Lithium Ion Battery Management Systems
• Single-chip Transceivers for Products with Antenna Diversity
• Hard-Disk-Drive READ-Channel integrated circuits
• Single-Chip RF Television Receivers
• High Speed Serializer/De-serializer (SERDES) Circuits
• Mixed-signal Power management ICs comprising low drop-out (LDO) and switch-mode step-up (boost) and step-down (buck) converters intended for medical or general applications
• Magnetometers (for sensing magnetic field intensity and angle)
• Analog/Mixed-Signal Computer-Aided Design (CAD) Tools
Notable projects for clients:
• Examined Lithium Ion Battery schematics and algorithms, and advised on design process and methodology
• Taught in-house class “An Introduction to Mixed-Signal Behavioral Modeling and Verification” for engineering and engineering management staff of client company
• Designed electronic system components for a high-accuracy magnetic field sensor
• Created and validated Matlab/Simulink models for top-down design and verification of that complete magnetometer system
• Designed an optimal self-tuning algorithm for a local-oscillator generator’s phase-locked-loop
• Designed a self-calibration mechanism for poly-phase filters used in a Television Receiver RF front end
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: New York, New York - Yonkers, New York - Newark, New Jersey - Jersey City, New Jersey - Paterson, New Jersey - Elizabeth, New Jersey - Trenton, New Jersey - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Allentown, Pennsylvania - Stamford, Connecticut
|Year: 2005||Degree: PhD||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: Lehigh University|
|Year: 1996||Degree: MS||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: Lehigh University|
|Year: 1988||Degree: BS||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: Northeastern University|
|Years: 2016 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Expert Witness||Department:||Responsibilities: As Expert Witness: Analyze patents and advise on validity and/or infringement. Forensic investigation. Litigation support including deposition and testimony.
|Years: 2014 to 2016||Employer: XtremeEDA Corp||Title: Principal Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide design and consulting services to the company’s various clients. Participate in industry conferences and seminars. Support sales and marketing efforts in general. Provide guidance regarding the development of the AMS services practices within the company. Create behavioral models of analog and mixed signal circuits, including event-driven real-number modeling (RNM) in System Verilog, UVM, Verilog-AMS (wreal and electrical), and Verilog (real, with out-of-module references for inter-block signal flow). Create, run, and debug directed and constrained-random test-cases in verification environments including UVM. Develop automated regression infrastructure setup for functional verification of high complexity mixed-signal SOC designs. Develop and use constrained-random transactors to validate functionality of system designs. Debug regression failures at the behavioral model, RTL, gate and transistor level.|
|Years: 2008 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President and Independent Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: As an expert witness, offers the following services:
• Analysis of patents and advise on validity and/or infringement
• Forensic investigation
• Litigation support including deposition and testimony
As a technical consultant, have broad and deep understanding of analog/mixed-signal (AMS) circuits and systems, as well as strong experience with design verification, especially for chip-level analog and mixed-signal ICs. Independently review and verify digital and analog/mixed-signal ICs using electronic design automation (EDA) software before funds are committed to manufacturing the design.
|Years: 1990 to 2008||Employer: Infineon Technologies||Title: Senior Member of Technical Staff||Department:||Responsibilities: Multiple positions throughout time. Duties included: Create behavioral models in the VHDL language for new Infineon RF transceiver ICs as part of an existing design team based in Austria and Germany, Create models, verification testbenches and testcases to troubleshoot existing mobility IC products and verify their revisions, Create and write proposals for new IC products to be designed at the Allentown facility|
|Years: 1988 to 1990||Employer: LTX Corporation||Title: Hardware Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Automatic Test Equipment (ATE) Hardware and Software|
|Years: 1977 to 1984||Employer: United States Air Force||Title: Air Force Band Performer||Department:||Responsibilities: Air Force Band Performer|
|Years: 1975 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Free-lance musician||Department:||Responsibilities: Free-lance musician|
|Associations / Societies|
|National, Pennsylvania and Lehigh Valley Societies of Professional Engineers (NSPE,PSPE,LVSPE), IEEE Senior Member Society Memberships: Solid State Circuits Society (SSCS): Founder and Chair, Lehigh Valley SSCS Chapter, Product Safety Engineering Society (PSES), Circuits and Systems Society (CSS), Behavioral Modeling and Simulation Society: Member of BMAS Conference Committee, Audio Engineering Society, American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL), American Bar Association Section of Science and Technology Law|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Professional Engineer (PE) Pennsylvania License
Board Certified in Forensic Engineering (DFE)
|National Academy of Forensic Engineers (NAFE), Associate Member
Philadelphia Consultants Network (CONET) Chair, Program Chair, Lehigh Valley Engineering Council: Representative from Lehigh Valley Section of IEEE
|Awards / Recognition|
|Engineer of the Year Award, by Lehigh Valley Society of Professional Engineers.
Invited to Infineon Technologies Communication Tech Days Conference at Infineon headquarters, Multiple instances of monetary and honorary departmental awards for performance excellence Company award for patent submission based on Ph.D research. Co-filed with one of Expert's thesis advisers, Company award for patent submission (undisclosed).
Patent pending Selected for Lucent Technologies and then Agere Systems’ tuition assistance program for Ph.D study, Multiple instances of honorary departmental awards for performance excellence, Selected for AT&T and then Lucent Technologies’ tuition assistance program for Master’s Degree study.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has 2 US patents, is the main author or co-author of many publications.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|As Expert Witness: Analyze patents and advise on validity and/or infringement. Forensic investigation. Litigation support including deposition and testimony.
Notable projects for clients:
• Forensic investigation to determine role, if any, of a fluid pressure sensor in an injury accident.
• Investigation and preliminary report to determine patent infringement of adaptive audio system.
• Deposition and report regarding the forensic investigation of the role played in a fatal traffic collision by a traffic light control and emergency preemption system.
• Forensic investigation of a quadcopter drone to ascertain if a malfunction had occurred, which caused an injury to a bystander. Reported operator error, not malfunction. Case settled.
• Deposition and report regarding a product requirements and specification dispute. The product was a vertical probe card used in automatic testing of chips while still in wafer form. Case settled after deposition.
• Forensic Investigation: Verified the functionality and accuracy of an electronic module used as a drill-bit position sensor. This module and drill-bit were involved in a gas explosion.
• Electronic Testing, Analysis and Testimony: Tested LCD video display modules and compared them to their data-sheet specifications, advertised features and their suggested applications. Submitted expert opinion report regarding their performance versus specifications and suitability for their suggested application. Testified at trial. Patent Analysis and Report:
• Relating to Adaptive Audio Amplification System.
• Relating to Electronic Design Automation (EDA) software programs.
• Relating to A/D, D/A converters and their calibration.
• Relating to electronic control systems for HVAC systems.
* Forensic Investigation:
• Investigated and submitted expert report regarding an alleged failure in an Electronic Toll
• Collection (ETC) system resulting in a personal injury.
|Training / Seminars|
|Specialized Continuing Education:
• Expert Witness Seminars, including patent-specific training
• Advanced Fire Investigation for Professional Engineers, NAFE educational seminar
• Fundamentals of Lightning Protection Systems, by CED Engineering
• Interior Electrical Distribution Systems
• Grounding and Bonding of Electrical System