Expert in Mobile Cellular Telecommunications Handset, BTS, TRX and EnodeB Development (GSM 2G, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS 3G, LTE 4G, LTE-A); 3GPP ETSI Protocols [NAS/AS]; Software, Systems and Standards; IPv6, M2M (IoT)
Expert ID: 732847 United Kingdom
To date, he has 32 years of unbroken experience, gained working Internationally (including UK, Italy, The Netherlands, USA, Germany, France, Japan and Hong Kong) on a number of major projects for high profile clients, including GEC, NEC, Panasonic, Toshiba and AT&T. Expert has a strong mix of hardware, software and systems design and development experience, developing projects/features from concept through to final production, launch and ongoing support. He has led teams, mentored engineers and handled complete project developments (both Agile and waterfall model based), including planning and progress tracking.
For the last 20 years, he has been operating as an independent consultant through his UK registered limited company. He has had many long contracts, contract renewals and has frequently been invited back for new projects by previous clients. He has often gained new projects by reputation and referral. He is a registered chartered engineer [CEng MIET], regulated by the UK engineering council and therefore operates with the highest ethical standards, competence and respect for client confidentiality. Expert has recently passed UK security screening for a government related project.
Expert has extensive real-time embedded software design and development experience using a number of different real-time operating systems and programming languages, including MISRA and ANSI C.
Expert has developed mass-volume mobile communication consumer products from marketing concept through to final production and product launch.
Expert has developed many proof of concept prototypes.
Expert has extensive experience developing kernel and applications with VxWorks, embedded Linux and MS windows XP/7 multi-threaded development (mutex locking, etc).
Expert has extensive internet protocol development experience, IPv4 and IPv6, including DHCP, UDP/IP, TCP/IP, FTP, RTP, UPnP, NFS.
Expert has ported many existing applications and protocol stacks onto new operating systems and platforms.
Expert has extensive mobile internet development experience.
Expert has extensive client / server IP based system development experience (sockets, binding).
Expert has m2m "internet of things" (IoT) smart meter communications hub development experience.
Selected consultancy examples from the expert's last 20 years of consultancy:
- Tier 1 Japanese handset manufacturer project for DoComo – expert managed the porting of an existing GSM/GPRS layer 1 onto an new DSP platform, including proof of concept demonstration, produced MS project plans and tracked progress, managed the DSP supplier and delivery milestones. Reported directly to the software project group leader. Created an innovative solution to adapt the existing protocol stack to a new DSP platform, allowing significant code re-use, reduced time to market and subsequent significant cost savings.
- Tier 1 Japanese handset manufacturer double mode 2G/3G handset project – expert was a major layer 1 resource in the development of the first double mode 2G/3G handset capable of live video calling. Launched in Hong Kong . This was a high pressure role. Expert was a key resource. There was a high level of responsibility as the expert had to produce daily software deliveries to the Japanese integration team. Therefore, many engineers directly depended on his delivery. The handset was also successfully launched in the UK and was seen as a stepping stone / milestone product into 3G in the UK.
- Pico cell GSM/GPRS/Edge base station development - Supported special customer projects and introduced new standard software modules, allowing significant new revenue streams for the company.
- Tier 1 Japanese handset manufacturer project – out-source of layer 1 development for 2008 Beijing Olympics to produce layer 1 bug fixes on an existing PCS1900 handset, which were required for the Olympics. The handset was later given to dignitaries during the Olympics, as a product promotion. The expert successfully delivered many software fixes to the Japanese test team.
- International joint venture project: a communication distribution system located within a street cabinet, with extremely aggressive environmental constraints – Expert developed innovative RS485 based low power Ethernet LAN solution for backbone communication. Created concept of collision detection using linear devices to detect voltage change. Allowed Ethernet to be used with low heat generation within convection cooled street cabinet, as solution replaced higher power standard Ethernet transceivers.
- Tier 1 International Telecoms equipment manufacturer project – out source of RLC/MAC over TCP/IP stream multi-standard BTS project. The expert successfully created a project proposal for this work and created the plan and milestones. Expert successfully delivered and was paid for each milestone of the project.
- Large test system vendor 4G LTE test platform project – expert managed the3rd line support of the LTE test system – handling complex bug fixes from many customers on a daily basis. Managed the 3rd line support help desk.
- M2m Internet of Things (IoT) communications Hub development - expert consultant in the communications hub software development team. Expert developed the WAN manager and IPv6 socket manager and supported all aspects of these developments, including mentoring other team members and providing customer support to the end customer.
- High value patent infringement project - expert provided expert insight for major patent infringement trial relating to ETSI/3GPP patent infringements, leading to trial.
|Year: 1997||Degree: MSc||Subject: Telecommunications||Institution: University College London (UCL), University of London|
|Years: 2015 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Technical Expert||Department: Consultancy||Responsibilities: Expert was contracted to provide ad-hoc technical input relating to ETSI/3GPP Standards (2G and 4G) in the context of patent/essentiality litigation before the High Court of England and Wales.|
|Years: 2015 to 2016||Employer: Toshiba Information Systems (UK) Ltd||Title: Software Consultant||Department: m2m Communications Hub||Responsibilities: SMIP 2 smart electricity meter communication hub project - development of IPv6 socket service, based on 3G/2.5G WAN. Creation of white list IPv6 filter, UDP Ack wrapper protocol and UDP router. Design and development of the socket manager and WAN manager network timers tasks. Control of 3G/2.5G modem. Handling of GBCS commands, responses and alerts. Control of switching between the WAN and MESH networks. Last gasp shutdown, tamper and installation mode redesign and implementation of power saving strategy. Handling of failure modes for CPA compliance, MISRA C code compliance, CPA security features, Agile methods.|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Employer: Landis + Gyr Ltd||Title: Software Consultant||Department: m2m Commuincations Hub||Responsibilities: Agile development of SMIP smart meter (M2M “Internet of things”) communications hub with 3G/2G UDP/IPv6 WAN modem. Development of GBCS handlers and network timers in embedded C (MISRA) using IDE, Eclipse Agile reviews and Jenkins Continuous Integration.|
|Years: 2013 to 2015||Employer: Anite Telecoms Ltd||Title: Software Consultant||Department: IOT SAS Team||Responsibilities: Maintenance and development of LTE (4G) / LTE-A r10, NAS, RRC, MS Windows based product (C++, C#, XML) with Visual Studio 2008 C#, Forms. Bug fixing of Customer issues. Tier 3 third line customer support. Addition of eICIC LTE advanced release 10 feature, application GUI Forms design, scheduling, driver API.|
|Years: 2009 to 2013||Employer: Alcatel Lucent GmbH||Title: Software Consultant||Department: LTE eNB L2 & kernel teams||Responsibilities: Development of eNodeB LTE (4G) uplink L2 conformance test features (PRACH counters, ref sensitivity, PUSCH HARQ feedback, etc), 3GPP release 10 (36.141). Integration of eNodeB L3 & L2 (RLC/MAC) MIMO 2x2. HARQ downlink scheduling (ACK/NACK). Development of LTE TRX sub-system with embedded Linux kernel. Linux DMA/FPGA device driver development, porting of applications to Linux.Added DHCP and IP access features, including FTP and TCP/IP with remote Telnet client. Developed embedded real-time software in C for a new multi-standard [GSM, WCDMA, LTE] macro cell BTS project. Added a DHCP server. Developed IP access for the remote radio head, inc DHCP client. Ported client/server to TCP/IP stack for RLC/MAC and TBF over TCP/IP. Development of LTE TRX sub-system with embedded Linux 2.6 kernel on a Xilinx MicroBlaze soft core FPGA platform. Linux kernel rcS Bash startup from U-boot, Linux DMA/FPGA device driver development, porting of VxWorks applications to Linux. Integration of BusyBox tools and update of kernel from Git tar ball. Replacement of static libraries with dynamic shared object libraries. Added DHCP and IP access features, including FTP and TCP/IP with remote Telnet client.
Developed embedded real-time software in C for a new multi-standard [GSM, WCDMA, LTE] macro cell BTS project, using Wind River VxWorks RTOS / Work Bench, Telelogic SDT and Rational Clearcase. Added a DHCP server. Developed IP access for the remote radio head, inc DHCP client. Ported LWIP API client/server to TCP/IP stack for RLC/MAC and TBF over TCP/IP. Modified VxWorks libraries.
|Years: 2007 to 2009||Employer: ip.access Limited||Title: Software Consultant||Department: BTS software team||Responsibilities: Software development and bug fixing of IP based Nano/Pico cell BTS (2.75G EDGE) for customer support and new features. Implemented BTS features from Abis backhaul interface [3GPP 8.58 & 12.21] downwards, including L3/L2/L1 code changes and UDP RTP streams, on ARM9 and PowerPC targets.|
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Employer: Panasonic Mobile Europe Ltd||Title: Software Consultant||Department: Layer 1 team||Responsibilities: Analysed, debugged and fixed layer 1 problem reports/change requests for the DoCoMo P905 dual mode (2G/3G) mobile handset, based on the PNPS stack.|
|Years: 2006 to 2007||Employer: NEC Electronics (Europe) GmbH||Title: Software Consultant||Department: Systems Team||Responsibilities: Integrated NEC/Panasonic [PNPS] stack with the TTPCom L1 for a DoCoMo N905 mobile handset platform [2G/2.5G/2.75/3G]. Debugged GCF NVIOT test cases from Anite SAT & CRTW logs. Worked in Japan with development teams.|
|Years: 1997 to 2006||Employer: NEC Technologies UK Limited||Title: Software Consultant||Department: Layer 1 team||Responsibilities: Developed GSM/GPRS layer 1, embedded real-time mobile phone handset software (access stratum) from initial concept, development, launch and support.
2G GSM/EGSM/DCS1800/PCN/PCS multi-band handset C code development and bug fixing for CeBit launch. Debug of loss of service and other bugs for multi-RAT handset launch in Hong Kong. Integrated 2G/3G stacks with TI in France / Japan.
|Years: 1995 to 1997||Employer: Pansonic Matsushita Communications UK Ltd||Title: Software Team Lead/Principal Engineer||Department: Layer 1 team||Responsibilities: GSM layer 1 team leader. Port of TI/Debis GSM layer 1 onto the Panasonic stack, RTOS, Teamwork SASD, C coding, integration, GCF testing of GSM/DCS handset.|
|Years: 1989 to 1995||Employer: Italtel Central European Research Laboratories||Title: Senior Software/Hardware/Systems Design Engineer||Department: Systems and Software Development||Responsibilities: Developed three major SDH projects in Italy, Holland and the USA, as follows:
• Italtel Societa Italiana Telecom (2.5 years in Italy), L’Aquila, Italy
Developed two applications (using Yourdon and C) for an SDM-4 SDH multiplexor, to handle an STM-1 line ASIC. Coded the CCITT block error detection algorithms.
• AT&T Bell Laboratories (1.5 year assignment from Italtel) Denver, U.S.A
Designed the DACS VI-2000 X.25 feature, using SASD (Yourdon). Interfaced to Unix POSIX device driver. Implemented C code on a LynxOS Linux platform.
• AT&T Network Systems Int (2 year secondment), Huizen, The Netherlands
Developed the control architecture for an SDH STM-1 ISDN access system, including a dedicated Ethernet style LAN using RS485 and MC68020 controller
|Years: 1983 to 1989||Employer: GEC Plessey Telecommunications (GPT) Ltd||Title: Hardware Team Lead/Principal hardware engineer||Department: System X||Responsibilities: Developed operator services (OSS) sub-systems of the System X digital cross-connect switching project for BT. Led a small digital hardware development team.|
|Years: 1995 to 1995||Employer: Fujitsu||Title: Principal Systems Engineer||Department: PON systems||Responsibilities: Created system feasibility studies into new passive optical network features, including video on demand.|
|Years: 2007 to 2016||Employer: 3G Partnership Limited||Title: Director||Department: Consultancy||Responsibilities: Provision of independent software and systems consultancy services and solutions to primarily telecommunications related industries. Specialisations include, embedded real-time software development (RTOS kernel, drivers, applications, Linux), 3GPP standards tracking, IPR, 2G through to 4G mobile handset/modem, base station/eNodeB development/feature solutions provider, protocol stack development (access and non-access stratums), internet protocols (TCP/IP, UDP/IP, sockets, ethernet), IPv6, embedded Linux, Agile, SMIP smart meters (m2m/IoT) and expert IPR services to the legal profession (expert opinion related to telecommunications patent litigation).|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1990 to 1992||Country / Region: Huizen, The Netherlands||Summary: AT&T Network Systems International - OLC2000 SDH|
|Years: 1993 to 1994||Country / Region: Denver, Colorado, USA||Summary: AT&T Bell Laboratories - DACS VI-2000, SDH, X25 development|
|Years: 1994 to 1995||Country / Region: L'Aquila, Italy||Summary: Italtel (Central European Research Laboratories)|
|Years: 2009 to 2013||Country / Region: Stuttgart, Germany||Summary: Alcatel Lucent GmbH - BTS, eNodeB and TRX development|
|Years: 2005 to 2005||Country / Region: Tamagawa, Japan||Summary: NEC Technologies - layer 1 development (2G/2.5G/2.75G/3G|
|Years: 2004 to 2004||Country / Region: Hong Kong||Summary: NEC Technologies / Hutchison Whampoa / e606 handset|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: Nice, France||Summary: NEC Technologies / Texas Instruments - layer 1 (EDGE)|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: Fukuoka, Japan||Summary: NEC Electronics (Europe) GmbH - dual mode layer 1 reference platform development|
|Years: 1989 to 1989||Country / Region: Milan, Italy||Summary: Italtel Spa - OLC2000 architecture team SDH street cabinet|
|Years: 1996 to 1996||Country / Region: Copenhagen, Denmark||Summary: Panasonic / Telecom Denmark - G450 gual band GSM/DCS1800 GCF testing|
|Years: 1997 to 1997||Country / Region: Hannover, Germany||Summary: CeBit trade show for NEC DB2000 product launch - pre-show protocol bug fixing|
|Years: 1998 to 1998||Country / Region: Palermo Sicily, Italy||Summary: NEC Technologies - DB2000 GSM fixing customer audio and loss of service issues|
|Years: 2005 to 2005||Country / Region: Paris, France||Summary: NEC France Mobile Development Centre - 2G/3G dual mode handset integration|
|Years: 1998 to 1998||Country / Region: Rome, Vicenza & Genoa, Italy||Summary: NEC Technologies - fixed 2G GSM network handover and loss of service issues|
|Years: 1996 to 1996||Country / Region: Nice, France||Summary: Panasonic / Texas Instruments - 2G layer 1 platform porting|
|Years: 1999 to 1999||Country / Region: Turin, Italy||Summary: Telecom Italia, R&D Lab - NEC DB4000 GSM handover testing|
|Associations / Societies|
|Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET), member since 1989
Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (SMIEEE), member since 1992
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Chartered Engineer (CEng MIET), licensed by the UK Engineering Council
BS7858 (ISO9001) Security screening certification 2015 (April 2015), for UK CPA
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has developed many patent proposals, mainly related to mobile handset features and he has gained a number of patent awards. Some examples of his granted patented inventions are shown in the patent section below.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Expert was contracted to provide ad-hoc technical input relating to ETSI/3GPP Standards (2G and 4G) in the context of patent/essentiality litigation before the High Court of England and Wales.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Created and presented 2G + 3G dual mode 3GPP access stratum training course
Created and presented GSM/GPRS layer 1 training course
Created and presented EMC training course
Attended many training courses, including embedded Linux and UMTS air interface.
Attended many lectures and seminars on emerging technologies (including 5G), at the ITE Savoy Place, London
|Platform selection for LTE 4G TRX miniature front haul transceiver project - analysed processor performances from different vendors to determine vendor choice (FPGA) - created and demonstrated proof of concept, for support of VxWorks applications on new embedded Linux platform.
Real-time operating system (RTOS) selection - analysed performances and features of available systems and recommended preferred choice
Hardware component vendor selection (GPT), digital hardware, processors and peripherals
| Expert has developed a number of marketing proof of concept prototypes (dual mode mobile phones and front haul LTE 4G radio transceiver with CPRI optical fibre interface). Expert has supported marketing activities at trade shows, such as Cebit Hannover Germany. Expert has supported many mobile handset product launches.
Expert has developed many short time to market mass-volume consumer products to fixed marketing deliver targets (for example to meet pre-planned marketing dates, such as pre-Christmas product launches).
Expert has developed many initial marketing proposals into detailed product requirement specifications and project plans.
|Other Relevant Experience|
| Expert has in excess of 32 years hands-on experience of telecommunications equipment development, implementing ETSI, ITU and 3GPP standards.
He has a significant body of work covering many leading edge developments of the last 30 years, including:
• Development of 3 party digital conference bridge
• Development of MPU – Intel microprocessor based interface unit
• Operator services distribution unit redesign – EMC compatible + cable redesign (for BT exchange call handling centre)
• Operator terminal redesign - patented unique cable system
• AT&T NSI – SDH OLC-2000 street cabinet (fibre to wire) – control unit + Ethernet + RS485 – early SDH transmission system
• AT&T duplicated resources architecture design
• AT&T Bell Labs – DACS VI 2000 SDH switch – X25 access software – early SDH/ATM switch
• Italtel ADM4 – CCITT fibre cut detection for laser control
• G450 mobile phone handset – first phase 2 GSM handset
• G450 mobile phone handset circuit switch data interface
• G450 mobile phone handset FTA approval
• DB2000 / DB500 mobile phone – CeBit product of show – one of first dual band handsets
• DB3500 / DB4000 mobile phone – layer 1 porting for cost reduction, reuse and reduced time to market
• E606 – double mode [2G + 3G] video phone
• E616 – dual mode phone (2G + 3G)
• IPR patent - unique mobile phone power saving solution
• Dual mode reference platform development (2G + 3G)
• 2007 – Beijing Olympics PCS1900 handset
• Pico and Nano cell BTS products
• Multi standard BTS development, VxWorks
• RLC/MAC over IPv4 TCP/IP outsourced project
• Light wave Cube design, embedded Linux
• Metro eNodeB LTE 4G
• Mobile test systems product development – added release 10 LTE-A features
• 3rd part management and bug fixes
• Smart meter comms hub IPv6 - m2m "Internet of Things" (IoT)
• Expert & skilled person in the art
|Italian||Basic spoken Italian|
|English||Native, first language (mother tongue)|
Fields of Expertise
telecommunication standard, mobile telecommunication, cellular telephone standard, base station, protocol, expert testimony, expert witness, LAN/WAN interconnection, internet technology, cellular telephone, 4G mobile network, 2G mobile network, Universal Mobile Telecommunications System, Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol, protocol development, general packet radio service, global system for mobile communication, EDGE, cellular telecommunication, 3G mobile phone, C programming language, ANSI C programming language, embedded processing, real-time embedded system software development, embedded software, firmware, embedded design, embedded system software development, software system development, application software design, new product development management, new product design, embedded languages, real-time system, real-time programming, real-time operating system, real-time software engineering, embedded computer system, universal asynchronous receiver transmitter, smart house, smart grid, voice over IP, software porting, broadband network, network technology, digital communications network architecture, computer network standard, modem, mobile technology, wireless voice over IP, mobile data communication