Expert in Optical Design for Industrial Lasers and Laser Applications
Expert has extensive expertise with excimer lasers and cw and pulsed dye lasers and worked with one of the industry leading excimer companies, Lambda Physik for 11 years. Much of Expert's 40 years of laser expertise has been in the area of laser material processing and has used lasers from the deep UV to the far infrared for processing a wide variety of materials and substances. Expert has used various instruments in analyzing and measuring lasers and laser interactions.
Expert presently consults full time for Haas Laser Technologies, Inc. and had developed two strong and innovative products for Haas Laser Technologies: a beam waist analyzer system which presently has one issued patent and 3 more pending and a thermal lensing compensation optic for high power fiber lasers that has one pending patent.Consults from time to time for Vytek, Inc. a Massachusetts firm which manufactures turn-key laser material processing systems.Consults and provides service support for Cree, Inc. for their excimer laser systems which are used in a proprietary manufacturing process.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Miami, Florida - Hialeah, Florida - Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Hollywood, Florida - Pembroke Pines, Florida - Port Saint Lucie, Florida - Miami Beach, Florida - West Palm Beach, Florida - Pompano Beach, Florida - Boca Raton, Florida
|Year: 1988||Degree: BS||Subject: Mathematics and Computer Science||Institution: University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Year: 1982||Degree: AS||Subject: Laser Electro-Optics Technology||Institution: Texas State Technical Institute|
|Years: 2007 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide optical design and industrial laser application expertise to a wide variety of clientele
• Designed a high power line beam homogenizer for a 25 kW fiber laser system
• Designed a high power fiber coupler for a 20 kW fiber laser system.
• Designed a high power light projector system for a 10 kW fiber laser system.
• Designed a 1 to 3X optical zoom, 3-axis galvo welding system using a 4 kW fiber laser.
• Designed, developed, and built a patented, high power laser thermal compensation objective.
• Designed, developed, and built a patented, laser beam analysis system.
• Designed, developed, and built a patented, high efficiency laser beam homogenizer.
• Designed and built a 150X far IR laser beam expander based upon a 300mm dia. Cassegrain telescope.
• Designed, developed, and built a patentable Gaussian beam inverter to improve the scribing efficiency of solar scribing tools.
• Designed, developed, and built a collimated beam homogenizer to improve the scribing efficiency of solar scribing tools.
• Designed, developed and built patented (3 patents), high precision laser scanner which produces positional accuracies of < 1 micron over a field of 1mm.
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Employer: Oerlikon Optics USA, Inc.||Title: Senior Sales Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Oerlikon purchased Exitech and I provided sales and service support during the shut down of the Exitech, Inc. office and transition to Oerlikon sales engineers.|
|Years: 2004 to 2007||Employer: Exitech, Inc.||Title: Director of US Operations||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed the sales and service operations for an international laser systems integrator headquartered in the United Kingdom. Responsibilities included: profit and loss; administrative and HR duties for the sales and service team.
• Achieved profitability for the company from 2004 through 2006 where in previous years it had not been.
|Years: 2002 to 2004||Employer: Exitech, Inc.||Title: Senior Applications Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Responsible for industrial laser system sales for the eastern half of the United States and provided technical support to the Foster City facility.
• Created system sales where there were none in the previous 3 year history of the company.
|Years: 2001 to 2002||Employer: Lambda Physik Application Lab Center, LLC||Title: President||Department:||Responsibilities: A newly formed business unit of Lambda Physik USA, Inc.: Developed laser applications for excimer and diode pumped Nd:YAG lasers. Assisted Lambda Physik sales engineers in applications and application related sales. Had the highest ever number of new sales related to application lab in one year and was profitable in the first year of operation.|
|Years: 1996 to 2001||Employer: Lambda Physik USA, Inc.||Title: Director of Customer Support||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed sales, service, and application lab for North and South America. Responsible for 25 to 30 staff; most of which were engineers or PhDs.
• Met or exceeded all sales and service goals each year I managed the groups.
• Filed 6 patents of which 4 were issued in the area of lasers and optics.
|Years: 1996 to 1996||Employer: Lambda Physik USA, Inc.||Title: Customer Support Manager||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed the service department (7 field service engineers and 3 support staff) for North and South America.
• Increased the customer support acceptance level from an 80% acceptable to a 98% level in 6 months.
• Dramatically reduced field service costs and customer complaints.
• Promoted to Director of Customer Support within 8 months.
|Years: 1994 to 1996||Employer: Potomac Photonics, Inc.||Title: Vice President of Sales||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed sales and application lab/job shop activities.
• Increased total sales and unit sales by 3X in both system and job shop departments.
|Years: 1993 to 1994||Employer: Infinity Laser Technologies||Title: President||Department:||Responsibilities: Consulting and Manufacturers Representative in the industrial excimer and Nd:YAG laser fields.
• Invented and developed special Nd:YAG laser SMD marking system that sold more than 40 units.
• Patented a novel unstable resonator, which was later sold to Lambda Physik.
|Years: 1990 to 1993||Employer: Resonetics, Inc.||Title: Vice President of Sales & Marketing||Department:||Responsibilities: Responsible for all sales and marketing efforts for both the systems group and job shop. Designed ads, promotional material and marketing strategy for the company.|
|Years: 1985 to 1990||Employer: Lambda Physik, Inc.||Title: Application Lab Manager||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed the excimer laser application lab and assisted regional sales managers in application related sales of the company's excimer and dye laser product lines.|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2011 to 2011||Country / Region: China, Boading||Summary: Helped a Chinese solar panel manufacturer get a laser scribing system to properly scribe solar panels. When Expert arrived in Boading, only 1 leg of 4 legs of a scribing system was working and after his efforts all 4 beam lines on 3 different systems were properly scribing their solar panels.|
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Country / Region: Lima, Peru||Summary: A CO2 system manufactured by Vytek was not properly cutting various materials. Expert went to Peru and assisted the customer in the operation of their system and was able to get the system properly aligned and maintained so that it properly cut all their materials and provided operational training.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has 21 publications and 11 patents with 4 more pending in the field of lasers and optics.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Expert assisted a laser processing system manufacturer who had a suit filed against him. Expert evaluated the system and its condition with emphasis on how the customer maintained the unit. The suit was dropped as the customer had no case.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Expert has delivered laser material processing training and seminars and laser safety training.|
|Expert has extensive experience in sourcing optics and optical materials and services.|
|Expert is up to date on current laser and laser optics technology and their applications.|
|German||Took German in college and is fluent in travel German and the basics of the language. While employed by (Undisclosed), often attended and participated in company meetings that were entirely spoken in German.|