Expert in Paperboard Packaging and Printing
Expert ID: 736435 Virginia, USA
With a Chemical Engineering degree plus MBA, Expert has a successful track record in engineering and manufacturing management, including the design and startup of a package printing plant in Europe and the management of a printing operation in Brazil. He consistently led organizations through change – managing a newly acquired company, helping to start another, and embedding Six Sigma project leaders within a large customer’s facilities here and abroad. Possesses outstanding technical talent as well as a keen ability to translate strategy into results.
Specific areas of expertise include rotogravure printing, flexographic printing, diecutting, paperboard creasing, cigarette packaging and cigarette packing equipment.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Roanoke, VA - Harrisonburg, VA - Charlottesville, VA
|Year: 1988||Degree: MBA||Subject: Business||Institution: Virginia Commonwealth University|
|Year: 1980||Degree: BS||Subject: Chemical Engineering||Institution: Virginia Tech|
|Years: 2010 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Technical Manager||Department: Technical Sales Service||Responsibilities: Manage the Technical Sales Service group for the Tobacco business unit. Responsible for assessing performance of paperboard product through converting and cigarette packing processes as well as handling customer complaints. Support the business with competitive analysis and quantification of the value proposition.|
|Years: 2004 to 2010||Employer: MeadWestvaco||Title: Factory and Converting Services Manager||Department: Technical Sales Service||Responsibilities: Created and managed a proactive technical team to work inside our largest tobacco customer’s factories in the USA and Europe. Managed multiple projects leading to significant operational efficiency improvements in their packaging lines using Six Sigma methodology. Some of the team’s important accomplishments include:
• Generating savings for the customer in excess of $2 million annually.
• Playing a key role in securing long term paperboard contracts worth over $200 million/year.
• Vastly improving our understanding of our customers’ operations and establishing partnerships with their manufacturing organization at all levels.
• Facilitating our product development efforts by closely monitoring new packaging performance in the supply chain.
In addition to the team’s results above, some personal achievements include:
• Inventing a template for measuring package formation – US Patent
• Creating customized diagnostic tools for evaluating production and downtime on high speed packaging lines.
• Developing a template to articulate the value proposition for a new paperboard product.
|Years: 2001 to 2004||Employer: Paxonix||Title: Director, Membership Management||Department: Sales||Responsibilities: Helped to develop and launch Paxonix, a new venture that Westvaco created to serve the packaging industry by improving speed to market for new products.
• Coordinated a global network of premier packaging suppliers and design agencies.
• Co-wrote software design requirements.
• Implemented software applications within customers’ packaging and product development groups.
|Years: 1996 to 2000||Employer: Westvaco do Brasil||Title: Industrial Director||Department: Production||Responsibilities: Managed production, quality, safety, and engineering at a folding carton plant in Brazil beginning with its acquisition in 1996. Fostered numerous changes to transform a local Brazilian company of approximately 100 employees into a world-class printing operation.
• Reduced production waste by 20% through process and quality system improvements.
• Installed the first flexographic printing press for folding cartons in South America, which won multiple printing awards for quality and innovation.
• Revamped the ISO 9000 quality system from a paper exercise into a truly functional management tool.
• Designed and managed two plant expansions.
• Doubled production capacity with the installation of offset presses and diecutters acquired from another company.
• Created and equipped a graphic design department.
• Implemented all of Westvaco’s operating standards for safety, environmental protection and property conservation. Earned the President’s Safety Excellence Award.
|Years: 1985 to 1996||Employer: Westvaco||Title: Manager - Engineering & Maintenance||Department: Engineering||Responsibilities: Managed engineering, maintenance, and environmental activities at Westvaco’s two rotogravure printing plants in Richmond
• Managed a staff of 14 salaried and 40 hourly personnel.
• Led capital projects with an annual budget averaging $10 million.
• Implemented a preventive maintenance management system that reduced equipment downtime and saved $500,000 annually.
• Charter member of the Corporate Environmental Committee for reviewing compliance and promoting best environmental practices at all manufacturing locations.
• Led the design, equipment selection, and startup of a $28 million printing operation in the Czech Republic from 1993 to 1995.
• Started a co-op engineering program to attract young engineers into the company.
• Plant Engineer of the Year
|Years: 1985 to 1992||Employer: Westvaco||Title: Plant Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1981 to 1985||Employer: Westvaco||Title: Supervisory Engineer- Solvent Recovery||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1980 to 1981||Employer: Westvaco||Title: Technical Service Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1996 to 2001||Country / Region: Brazil||Summary: Worked as Industrial Director in a printing facility|
|Years: 1993 to 1995||Country / Region: Czech Republic||Summary: Designed a greenfield printing facility that started up in 1995|
|Associations / Societies|
|Association of Facilities Engineers, 1991-1996|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Professional Engineer, Commonwealth of Virginia
Six Sigma Black Belt
|Awards / Recognition|
|Plant Engineer of the Year|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Sole inventor of one patent.|
|Training / Seminars|
|Six Sigma Black Belt training
W. Edwards Deming Seminar
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Provided training seminars for customers on bleached paperboard manufacturing.
Practitioner since 1985 of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" methodology for project and task management.
|Portuguese||Professional Working Proficiency|