Expert in Papermaking technology, paper and paperboard grades, paper mill engineering, paper science
Expert ID: 731643 New Jersey, USA
- 23 years working for International Paper Co and Expert River (now Georgia Pacific)
- Worked as Research Chemist, mill tech service and troubleshooting, mill Production Manager, Mill Manager, head of Division
Engineering, Executive Vice-President/Engineering, President of paper machinery supplier
- 20 years as worldwide recognized paper consultant with world-wide client base including extensive work in Latin America
- Consultant to US Customs and Border Protection and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Served as expert witness in cases involving paper mill engineering liability, paper grade patent infringement, paper converting equipment patent infringement, paper quality issues, paper machinery liability, and other issues.
- Recipient of the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) Paper and Board Division Technical Award
- Recipient of the TAPPI Paper and Board Leadership and Service Award
- Elected to the TAPPI Board of Directors
- 1987 Appointed a TAPPI Fellow for technical contributions to the paper industry. There are only 550 TAPPI Fellows worldwide today.
- Published 35 papers on papermaking science, process technology, paper grades, and manufacturing
- Chairman and principal speaker for a number on on-going TAPPI paper technology courses
- TAPPI Recognized Education Provider
- Past technical editor papermaking for TAPPI Journal and Paper 360 Magazine
- Wrote, directed, and produced TAPPI's Making Pulp and Paper CDRom series
- Wrote, directed, and produced TAPPI's Practical Papermaking CDRom series
- Member of the International Association of Scientific Papermakers (membership by invitation only)
Provided a debottlenecking analysis and engineering process changes for a mill that wished to increase production. Helped prepare the capital budget and ROI analysis. Acted as technical expert for equipment procurement. Was project manager for the rebuild and upgrade of the paper machine.
Provided technical consultation to a paper company that is reconfiguring its operations to make a new grade of paper. This work covers major changes in several different operations.
Provided expert analysis and technical support to a paper company that was in litigation with the engineering/construction company over non-compliance on their contract. Wrote expert witness report and gave deposition.
Provided several different paper science training courses to a major supplier of inkjet printers. Courses were presented at a number of different locations, including international.
Acted as expert witness in a case involving alleged patent infringement by a supplier of paper converting equipment, which involved the International Trade Commission.
|Year: 1968||Degree: BA||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: U of NC|
|Years: 1991 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President/ Technical Consultant/Contract Manager||Department:|
Responsibilities:Consulting/engineering for paper industry. Provide process evaluation, troubleshooting, debottlenecking surveys, process engineering, grade quality issue resolution, paper science and process training, mill management, machine reconfiguration for new grades of paper, due diligence evaluations, paper forensic and paper physics analysis, expert witness testimony.
• Served as expert witness in cases involving US Customs tariff dispute, paper mill engineering liability, paper chemicals patent infringement, paper converting equipment patent infringement, paper machinery liability, paper quality issues, paper chemicals liability issues, and other areas.
• Project engineer for a several major projects on a paperboard machine
• Conducted engineering analysis for both the paper machine and OCC plant for a mill producing corrugating medium. Prepared long term capital budget plans for the mill to present to corporate, which was accepted, and in progress.
• Engineering analysis and capital budget plan for the rebuild of a tissue paper machine
• Served as startup engineer for Andritz in a recycling OCC plant in Chile
• Consult on grade/operational issues for many paper and supplier companies, including many in Latin America
• Wrote, edited, and produced the CBT series Making Pulp and Paper for TAPPI. Several thousand copies have been sold.
• Wrote, edited, and produced the CBT series Practical Papermaking for TAPPI. Several thousand copies have been sold.
• Project manager for a $20 MM recycled paperboard mini-mill expansion including installation of new paper machine.
• Helped various mills with problems involving refining, curl control, formation, MD/CD basis weight, pressing, drying, and winding.
• Handled all aspects of operator training for the startup of an idle fine papers mill.
• Provided capital budget and feasibility plans for a major new grade expansion.
• Handled acquisition, due diligence, and project planning for two mills.
• Helped select, procure, and start up many new pieces of equipment in paper mills such as top wire formers, new DCS systems, new press sections, etc.
|Years: 1995 to 1997||Employer: Lafayette Paper Co.||Title: Exec VP Engineering||Department:|
Responsibilities:Handled the mill and corporate engineering for a recycled paperboard mill including acquisitions and expansions.
|Years: 1993 to 1995||Employer: Recycled Paperboard, Inc.||Title: Mill Manager||Department:|
Responsibilities:Managed the manufacturing, and engineering departments of a company that produced paperboard multiply folding carton.
|Years: 1989 to 1991||Employer: A&F Corporation||Title: President||Department:|
Responsibilities:Ran a company that manufactured paper machinery equipment including winders, sheeters, unwind stands, and converting equipment
|Years: 1984 to 1989||Employer: Self Employed||Title: Corporate Engineering Manager, Mill Manager, Head of Division Engineering||Department: Various|
Responsibilities:Responsible for engineering and technology for specialty mills, promoted to mill manager at the mill. Promoted to head of Engineering for the Riegel Product Division.
|Years: 1968 to 1984||Employer: International Paper Co||Title: Research Chemist, Manager Process Diagnostics||Department: IP Research|
Responsibilities:Developed new paper grades and new applications, assessed paper quality, qualified new chemical additives for mill use. Promoted to Manager of the Paper Machine Diagnostics Group that was involved with paper machine troubleshooting and benchmarking using advanced diagnostics and engineering.
|Years: 2006 to Present||Agency: National Institute of Standards and Technology||Role: Consultant||Description: Serve as technical specialist in the area of papermaking for NIST|
|Years: 2009 to Present||Agency: Customs and Border Protection||Role: Training||Description: Teach a course on paper forensics to personnel from the various Customs laboratories|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1999 to Present||Country / Region: Columbia||Summary: Consult on quality issues, mill problems, capital improvements, and other technical issues for several paper companies and also one major equipment supplier|
|Years: 2002 to 2004||Country / Region: Argentina||Summary: Provided technical expertise on process changes to speed up the paper machine. Also assisted in the equipment selection/vendor evaluation portion of the project|
|Years: 2008 to 2008||Country / Region: Chile||Summary: Acted as project manager for the rebuild of a paper mill on behalf of the equipment supplier. Made sure that equipment was properly installed and that startup was according to supplier requirements.|
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Country / Region: Brazil||Summary: Developed and presented a course on papermaking which was sponsored by ABTCP which is the technical association for the Brazilian paper industry|
|Years: 2009 to 2009||Country / Region: Israel||Summary: Prepared and presented a course on paper science that was given to a subsidiary of a large supplier of inkjet printers.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Technical Association of the Pup and Paper industry (TAPPI),
Papermakers Committee of TAPPI,
Water Removal Committee of TAPPI,
International Association of Scientific Papermakers
|TAPPI BOD Member
Provider of the TAPPI Paper Machine Company Classroom Courses.
Chairman and Principal Speaker of the TAPPI Improving Paper Machine Performance Short Course
Chairman and Principal Speaker of the TAPPI Paper Machine Operations Course
Elected to the Board Of Directors of TAPPI
Appointed a TAPPI Fellow for technical contributions to the paper industry.
Chairman of TAPPI Paper and Board Division.
Published over 40 papers on all aspects of papermaking and paper grades
Member of the International Association of Scientific Papermakers
|Awards / Recognition|
TAPPI Paper and Board Division Technical Award
TAPPI Paper and Board Leadership Award
Recipient of the Paper and Board Technical Award
Recipient of the Paper and Board Division Leadership and Service Award
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Has 34 publications and two patents involving new paper applications|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Provided expert witness testimony on many areas of papermaking including:
- Product patent infringement
- Paper mill accident liability
- Mill construction/engineering issues
- Paper quality issues
- Machinery/process issues/liability
- Regularly provide written expert witness reports, depositions, and occasion trial testimony.
|Training / Seminars|
|See previous areas of expertise. Have developed many courses on papermaking, paper science, engineering process which have been delivered to diverse audiences around the world. TAPPI currently sells two CDRom papermaking courses that I wrote, directed, and produced (one contains 10 DVD's the other has 14). Training clients include many paper companies and suppliers to the paper industry, Hewlett Packard, Kodak, and the US government.|
|Have literally thousands of contacts in the paper and forest products industry with support for any aspect of papermaking.|
|With 40 years in the industry and strong ties to the technical associations and organizations of the industry, he has excellent understanding of the industry as a whole.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Long experience in almost all areas of paper industry with a well known reputation in the industry technical and operations community.|