Expert in Polymer Chemistry, Bio-Based Materials, Product Development, Medical Devices and Polyurethanes
Expert ID: 737634 Washington, USA
Expert has developed several commercial products in the medical devices and polyurethanes industry, and led numerous academic - industry partnership and consortia.
Demonstrated success in the generation, implementation, and communication of key technologies to commercial partners and customers internationally. Expert in sales training and customer engagement. Extensive international experience in product development, commercial launches, technical marketing with focus on the medical device and advanced materials industries. Adept at explaining highly technical concepts/messaging to a non-technical audience. Core competencies include:
Global R&D • People Management • Commercial Polyurethane Research • Nanotechnology and Biotechnology Research • Communication • Presentations • Team Building • International Marketing • Leadership • Project Management
• Surface functionalization/modification, patterning, and characterization of SAMs and polymer brushes
• Silicone hydrogel contact lenses – synthesis and characterization
• Polyurethane foam and elastomer synthesis and characterization
• Polymerization techniques – Urethane, free and controlled radical, controlled ring opening, olefin
|Year: 2005||Degree: Ph.D||Subject: Materials Science and Engineering||Institution: UCSB|
|Year: 2000||Degree: B. Sc.||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: Carnegie Mellon University|
|Years: 2021 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal Consulting Scientist||Department: Consulting|
Responsibilities:• Lead consultant for medical devices, biotechnology, polyurethanes, nanotechnology and surface science
• Technical advisor on open innovation, research management, competitive analysis and IP strategy
• Co-lead on new product development, sustainability and green/bio-based chemistry
|Years: 2013 to 2021||Employer: CooperVision||Title: Sr. Manager of Chemistry and Technical Marketing||Department: R&D and Marketing|
Responsibilities:Senior Technical Marketing Manager, 2018 - 2021
Technical expert for European and US Commercial Organizations. Provide education on contact lens technology and chemistry
• Drive international product launches including Australia, South Africa, Japan, and Europe.
• Technical expert advising marketing on technical messaging and customer/sales force education.
• Lead technical advisor to global legal on competitive intelligence and IP strategy.
• Lead technical advisor to US and EU marketing on technical messaging, competitive strategy, and IP strategy.
Senior Chemistry Manager, 2013-2017
Defined and implemented surface enhancement research program. R&D liaison to marketing for technical messaging and customer/sales force education. Customer outreach in product launches, technical presentations, KOL events.
• Appraised in top 20% of employee performance all years employed.
• Technical lead on two product development efforts – Including MyDay, with > $400 MM commercial sales in 2020.
• Helped create “Smart SiliconeTM” technical messaging for MyDay commercial product.
• Defined and implemented “culture of innovation” improvements in chemistry group increasing employee engagement and IP generation.
• Advisor to Senior Chemistry Director on technical, marketing and IP strategy.
|Years: 2008 to 2012||Employer: Huntsman||Title: Team Leader||Department: Polyurethanes|
Responsibilities:Technical leader of Ph.D. and B.S. level chemists. Led bio-based chemical utilization and alternative curing programs.
• Appraised in top 20% of employee performance all five years.
• Industrial co-PI for Huntsman in Bark Biorefinery Consortium at U. Toronto - a four-year, multi-million-dollar collaboration
• Delivered several biobased technologies and alternative curing chemistries to enhance product sustainability to product development and customer trial stage.
|Years: 2005 to 2008||Employer: AFRL||Title: Research Fellow||Department: WPAFB|
Responsibilities:National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, PIs
Developed projects and managed undergraduate researchers. Served as laboratory safety champion
• Member of team awarded AFRL Charles J. Cleary Scientific Award for contributions in nano-MEMS.
• Developed robust chemistry for derivatization of polymer brush surfaces, leveraged for biomineralization, reversible nanoparticle and biomolecule capture, and surface energy patterning.
|Years: 2005 to 2008||Agency: AFRL||Role: Research Fellow||Description:|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2008 to 2010||Country / Region: Belgium||Summary: Team leader for Huntsman Polyurethanes.|
|Years: 2000 to 2000||Country / Region: France||Summary: NSF-REU fellow in the laboratory of Jean Pierre Vairon performing nanoparticle grafting of polymers by atom transfer radical polymerization.|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|He has authored 15 peer reviewed journal articles, 2 book chapters, and numerous patents.|