Expert in Process/Materials Development and Optimization in the Pulp, Paper and Nonwovens Industries
Expert has extensive experience in the design, installation, start-up, and optimization of deinking plants. Careful study of the operating characteristics of each piece of equipment ensures the right selection for each particular application. Expert has designed and started up 10 deinking plants globally using various configurations of the following technologies:
• Drum and high speed belt washers.
• Shaft and disk dispergers.
• Oxidative and reductive bleaching and decolorizing.
• Flotation cells.
• Slotted and perforated screens.
• Forward and reverse cleaners.
• High, medium, and low consistency pulpers.
Expert is well versed in the design and optimization of water systems and also has significant experience with chemical applications and recognition and solution of chemical interferences.
Expert has designed and started up deinking plants from 35 to 1000 tonnes per day using a variety of grades of recovered paper, including:
• Office paper
• Coated book
• Ledger grades
• Old newsprint
• Old corrugated containers
Expert has extensive experience in the design, installation, start-up, and optimization of mills producing a variety of paper grades. Careful study of the operating characteristics of each piece of equipment and knowledge of the principles of operation ensure optimal process performance. Expert has extensive experience with a number of paper mills around the world and is knowledgeable about the following operations:
• Stock prep.
• Slitting and rewinding
Expert has modified and started up pulp mills from 30 to 1400 tonnes per day producing a variety of paper grades, including:
• Fine papers
• Specialty papers
• Coated and uncoated grades
• Packaging grades
Expert has also been involved in a number of paper mill redesigns, expansions, and retrofits to increase throughput, reduce fiber costs, develop more efficient water use strategies, and improve quality.
Expert has extensive experience in the design, installation, start-up, and optimization of virgin fiber production facilities. Careful study of the operating characteristics of each piece of equipment and knowledge of the principles of operation ensure optimal process performance. Expert has worked with a number of pulp mills around the world and is knowledgeable about the following operations:
• Batch and continuous pulping, (kraft, sulfite, CTMP, groundwood).
• Brown stock washing, including pressure washers.
• Oxidative and reductive bleaching.
• Slotted and perforated screens.
• Forward cleaners.
• Pulp dryers.
Expert has led the design and start-up of pulp mills from 50 to 1400 tonnes per day using a variety of fiber sources, including:
• Northern softwood
• Southern softwood
• Mixed hardwood
Expert has also been active in the development of intellectual property:
• Designed, implemented, and started-up two different pilot/research facilities for pulping and bleaching, including lay-out, equipping, staffing, qualification and start-up of a comprehensive testing facility. Pilot facility is used for research and operations support for eight global pulp mills.
• Invented a pulp modification technique to reduce energy requirements for drying by 30 percent and increase finished product bulk by nearly 70 percent. Process implemented in 10 different tissue operations.
• Invented a fiber treatment to perform three-stage bleaching in the same operation while increasing finished product bulk.
• Five US Patents related to fiber modification.
• One US Patent related to broke recycling in tissue operations.
• Four US Patents related to absorbency improvement
Expert has also been involved in a number of pulp mill redesigns, expansions, and retrofits to increase throughput, reduce fiber costs, and improve quality.
Expert has extensive experience in the design, installation, start-up, and optimization of airlaid production lines. Careful study of the operating characteristics of each section of the line and knowledge of the principles of operation ensure optimal process performance. Expert has extensive experience with a number of airlaid mills around the world and are knowledgeable about the following operations:
• Fluff pulp and fiberizing operations.
• Synthetic fiber addition systems.
• Air forming.
• Compaction and embossing.
• Curing and drying ovens.
• Web handling and converting.
• Particulate addition systems.
• Latex addition and bonding.
Expert has led the modification and start-up of airlaid lines from 30 to 300 tonnes per day using both DanWeb and M&J technology.
Expert has been active in the development of intellectual property and proprietary product redesigns:
• Led absorbent material re-design for product improvement in FDA compliant industry.
• Led proprietary material development to increase product absorbent capacity over 200%.
• Four US Patents related to product/materials absorbency improvement.
• Three US Patents related to process efficiency improvement.
Expert has also been involved in a number of airlaid line redesigns, expansions, and retrofits to increase throughput, reduce fiber costs, and improve quality.
Developed method to turn cigarette filter material into medical gauze pad substitutes.Developed method to reduce dust in thermal bonded airlaid by 80 percent.Solved bleed-through problem when applying aromatic to personal care substrate.Developed cement additive manufactured from paper mill sludge.Developed method of manufacture for next-generation paper towel.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Madison, Wisconsin - Green Bay, Wisconsin - Appleton, Wisconsin - Waukesha, Wisconsin - Oshkosh, Wisconsin - Sheboygan, Wisconsin
|Year: 1980||Degree: BS||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: Michigan Technological University|
|Years: 2004 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President||Department:||Responsibilities: As president of a successful manufacturing process consulting company Expert is focused on improving clients’ profitability by using technical excellence and focused experimentation techniques to increase process efficiency, reduce waste, develop structures with improved function, choose optimal raw materials and implement efficient and effective quality control systems in their fiber- and web-based businesses.|
|Years: 1980 to 2003||Employer: Kimberly-Clark Corp.||Title: Senior Research Scientist||Department: Various||Responsibilities: Expert's broad and deep technical knowledge regarding the production, modification, and use of fibers to engineer specialized structures led to the implementation of many of his developments throughout the Family Care and Personal Care businesses.|
|Years: 2009 to 2009||Agency: Iowa Prison Industries||Role: Consultant||Description: Produced feasibility study for construction of an inmate-operated bath tissue production line.|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Country / Region: Italy||Summary: Optimized airlaid machine to reach design output and quality.|
|Years: 2004 to 2005||Country / Region: Canada||Summary: Developed method to reduce dust in thermal bonded airlaid by 80 percent.|
|Years: 2009 to 2010||Country / Region: Viet Nam||Summary: Helped paper recycler meet production targets and improve quality with existing equipment.|
|Years: 2006 to 2006||Country / Region: Turkey||Summary: Solved bleed-through problem for personal care product manufacturer so that aromatic add-on did not contaminate absorbent layer.|
|Years: 2005 to 2005||Country / Region: Turkey||Summary: Worked with paper manufacturer to develop paper grade suitable for the manufacture of tea bags.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Expert has consulted as an expert witness during three separate litigations regarding potential patent infringement with respect to pulping equipment design.|
|30 years of industry contacts have given Expert a remarkably wide network of equipment and material suppliers with which he maintains a friendly working relationship.|
|One of Expert's particular strengths is the multi-sector experience he provides. This allows Expert to recognize potential cross-sector solutions to problems that may not be obvious to less experienced or more narrowly focused consultants.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Expert has had formalized training in both Organizational Leadership and Entrepreneurial Development and leverages both to his clients' advantage.|