Expert in Product Development, Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering, Analytical Instrumentation, Machine Design
Expert ID: 737271 Massachusetts, USA
In addition, he is an expert at building and leading Engineering organizations and creating efficacious and compliant product development processes. He has 43 years of experience delivering new products from concept to commercial release and sustained production. Joe spent 30 years at Waters Corporation, where he contributed to and led the development of most Liquid Chromatography products which drove the company from an investor-backed private entity in 1994 to the world’s preeminent LC and LCMS company. He led the LC Engineering group at Waters for many years.
Joe also has experience designing and developing other high-tech capital equipment, including IVD Medical Devices, Semiconductor Capital Equipment, Optical Instruments, and Industrial Scale Plotters. These products share a common thread, being built from multidisciplinary system synthesis, analysis, and verification, integrating mechanical, electrical, optical, and embedded software components and technologies, and leveraging systems engineering practices.
|Year: 1993||Degree: Master of Science||Subject: Electrical Engineering - Control Systems and Signal Processing Concentration||Institution: Northeastern University|
|Year: 1982||Degree: Master of Science||Subject: Mechanical Engineering - Mechanics Concentration||Institution: Northeastern University|
|Year: 1978||Degree: Bachelor of Science||Subject: Mechanical Engineering - Thermofluids Concentration||Institution: Northeastern University|
|Years: 2021 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Owner and Chief Engineering Officer||Department: Consultant|
|Years: 1991 to 2021||Employer: Waters Corporation||Title: Senior Director||Department: LC Engineering|
Responsibilities:• Led a group of over 110 Mechanical, Electrical, Embedded and Application Software, Chemical, Compliance, Verification and Optical Engineers, Technicians, and Designers. Responsible for design, development and sustaining engineering for all Waters Liquid Chromatography Instruments and Systems. Included an engineering group at another US location. Allocated merit and promotion budgets. Submitted and manage department budgets. Mentored and motivated managers and engineers. Hired talent and resolved personnel issues. Several of my hires were subsequently promoted to director/senior director and high level technical positions
• Built a solid leadership base in previous roles, including mechanical and system design of ultra high pressure pumps; project management of all pumps and purification systems and capillary systems; director of all pumps, and nano and microscale products and systems; director of all mechanical resources and instrument project managers.
• Built a solid track record, contributing to the design, development, architecture, project management and/or senior management of all of Waters major LC product lines in some capacity. These include Alliance, Modular LC, LC Purification, ACQUITY UPLC, nano ACQUITY, H Class and H Class bio, I Class, ACQUITY UPC2, ACQUITY APC, ACQUITY M Class, ACQUITY Arc and Arc bio, and SFC/SFE and the Plus and Premier series product lines. These instruments and systems have total cumulative sales in excess of $8 billion, not including attached service, consumable, and application software revenue.
• Delivered projects consistently on or close to target schedule, with minimal concessions. In many cases architected in platform technologies that enabled quicker development of derivative products.
Designed electromechanical actuators, high pressure pumps, flow cells, mechanisms, pressure transducers, systems, platforms, etc.
• Participated actively in creating and deploying 3 product development processes; IDP, CIDP, WIDP, which were initially ISO 9001, then later ISO 13485 and FDA 820.3 compliant. Authored SOP's on Design Reviews, Engineering Reports, Design Process, etc. Literate in IVD, LV, EMC, and Pressure Directives and Harmonized Standards.
• Participated actively in creating and deploying 2 product Risk Management processes, which were ISO 14971 compliant
• Developed deep understanding of LC instrument design and performance, high pressure fluid system design including static and dynamic sealing, chromatographic science, project management, project and product risk management, engineering management, product cost structure, design review process, product development process, patent initiation and prosecution process, fluid handling and high pressure micro fluidics, system modeling
• Developed working knowledge of software engineering process, algorithm development, electronic architecture, systems engineering
• Participated as a member of the Waters Patent Committee
• Supported Northeastern University COE as an employer of Engineering Co-op students and full time engineers, sponsor and mentor for Capstone projects, juror for Capstone competitions, and speaker at student section ASME meeting
|Associations / Societies|
|American Society of Mechanical Engineers - Lifetime member - 1979 to present
INCOSE - various years
PMI - various years
IEEE - various years
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Seventeen (17) US patents plus additional Eutopean and WTO patents.|
|Training / Seminars|
|• Leadership development training courses (several)
• Systems Engineering training
• CCL - Leading for Organizational Impact - 5 day course
• Program and Project Management (several)
• Project Risk Management
• Product Risk Management
|Have selected dozens of vendors over a 43 year period: Electromechanical components, valves, materials, mechanical components, software, laboratory tools and equipment, adhesives, bearings, ball screws, fasteners, design firms, etc.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Mentor for FIRST Robotics Team - Walpole, MA High School
Sponsor for Northeastern University Capstone projects, Mechanical and Chemical Engineering Coop Students
• Instrumentation Laboratory, Principal Mechanical Engineer, March 1989 to August 1991
• ADE Corporation, Senior Mechanical Engineer, June 1987 to March 1989 • CMX Corporation, Senior Mechanical Engineer, July 1986 to June 1987
• Gerber, Project Engineer/Senior Mechanical Engineer, November 1984 to June 1986
• GCA Corporation, Senior Mechanical Engineer, May 1983 to October 1984
• AVCO Systems Division, Mechanical Engineer, March 1980 to April 1983 • GE Aircraft Engine Group, Mechanical Engineer, Engineering Development Program, July 1978 to February 1980
Responsibilities of previous positions from above:
• Completed various projects in aerospace systems, semiconductor capital equipment, industrial garment equipment, optical instruments, and medical devices (instruments)
• Built a rich foundation of engineering knowledge which was only achievable by working in different industries and environments
• Delivered new and enhanced products, and product improvements
• Developed excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Developed deep technical proficiency in electromechanical design, opto-mechanical design, precision mechanical design, thermal design
• Developed working knowledge of servo control systems, signal processing, electro-optical design
• Integrated analysis and testing into design process at all phases, using tools like MathCAD, MATLAB, FEA, etc.
• Employed contiguously since graduation for 42+ years
Fields of Expertise
electromechanical design, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, mechatronics, motion control, chromatography, analytical instrumentation design, mechanical engineering, electromechanical product development, product development cycle time, rapid product development, project risk management, in vitro diagnostics, Risk Failure Analysis, embedded sensor, position sensor, high pressure system, pressure sensor, temperature sensor, high-pressure seal, lip seal, high-performance liquid chromatograph, high-performance liquid chromatography detector, high-performance liquid chromatography troubleshooting, high-performance liquid chromatography/mass spectroscopy, machine design, precision engineering, systems engineering, new product development, medical device product development