Expert in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Advertising, Image Damage/Repair, Public Perception
He is a noted speaker, lecturer and has authored articles on PR, marketing and communications in local and national publications. Expert serves as an expert information source for the media and has been interviewed by print and electronic (e.g. TV, radio) media on local and national levels.
Expert is a former general assignment reporter for the New York Times. In this position, he wrote articles on a wide range of subjects running the gamut from sports to finance and environmental disasters to general news. Additionally, as a PR professional, he interacted and worked closely with the media for more than four decades. He is knowledgeable about how the media works and operates, both from his perspective of working in the media and working with them from the outside.
Expert has a national reputation as an expert in crisis communications. As his firm has represented over 100 law firms, he has been involved in hundreds of civil and criminal litigation. This has led to interacting with people and entities who were in trouble, controversy and had a bad image in the legal process and ultimately, representing them as clients. He has also assisted people in trouble and conflict. He has represented the Iranian Hostages in a U.S. Supreme Court lawsuit, handled media relations for the parents of children killed in the Paducah, KY high school shooting incident, represented a worldwide organization branded (incorrectly) as a cult, has represented the brothel industry in Nevada and saved it from extinction, etc. His expertise and reputation in crisis communications has led him to regular contacts from the media to serve as an expert media information source crisis matters (e.g. on public perception and image repair/damage control during both O.J. Simpson trials and between).
Expert has been a working professional in all aspects of the field of communications for 44 years, to include public relations, advertising, marketing and promotion. All of these are components of marketing/communications. His diverse experience in all of the communications fields makes him uniquely qualified to provide input on any facet of marketing/communications.
During his 44 years in public relations work, Expert has conceived, planned and implemented a wide variety of promotional events on behalf of clients. As a major component of public relations is promotion, he is an expert is all areas of promoting a business, person, event, concept, organization, movement or any other entity.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Defamation (Libel, Slander)
Damage to Image or Reputation
Effects From Negative or Inaccurate Media Exposure
Effects from Litigation Media Exposure
Cause and Repair
Consequences of Failure to Perform
(Improper Guarantees/Flawed Strategies/Bad Execution)
Over or Improper Billing
Communications Firm Operation, Procedures, Policies
Expert has been deposed and testified both at arbitration hearings and in court trials.
Help the state of CA during garbage crisis.Saved homeowners against a developer trying to make them repair their homes when they didn't have the finances to do so.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Los Angeles, California - Long Beach, California - Santa Ana, California - Anaheim, California - Riverside, California - Bakersfield, California - Glendale, California - Huntington Beach, California - San Bernardino, California - Oxnard, California
|Year: 1966||Degree: Bachelor of Arts||Subject: Public Relations||Institution: San Jose State College|
|Years: 1978 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Owner||Department: PR Firm||Responsibilities: Expert is the founder of this public relations firm and serves as president of the corporation. His responsibilities are commensurate of some one who owns and operates a business.|
|Years: 1973 to 1978||Employer: Doremus & Company||Title: Vice President/Account Supervisor||Department: PR||Responsibilities: Expert worked in the Los Angeles office of the New York-based firm which was one of the 10 largest PR firms in the nation. He had management responsibilities, handled client accounts and supervised employees.|
|Years: 1972 to 1973||Employer: Burson-Marsteller, Inc||Title: Account Executive||Department: PR||Responsibilities: Expert was an Account Executive in the Los Angeles office of this New York-based PR firm which was one of the five largest in the country. He was responsible for client contact and servicing the clients.|
|Years: 1970 to 1971||Employer: Harshe-Rotman & Druck||Title: Account Executive||Department: Public Relations||Responsibilities: Expert was an Account Executive in the Los Angeles office of this Chicago-based national PR firm which was ranked in the top three in size in the country. He was responsible for client contact and servicing the clients.|
|Years: 1968 to 1969||Employer: New York Times||Title: Reporter||Department: General Assignments||Responsibilities: Expert was a general assignment reporter for a very prestigious newspaper.|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1991 to 1995||Country / Region: U.K./Europe/Middle East||Summary: Between 1991 and 1995, Expert represented and international nonprofit organizations which was located in 18 countries on five continents. He traveled to a variety of international locations (e.g. London, Tel Aviv, Munich, Sydney, Canada) with his client providing public relations services (e.g. interviews), news conferences, seminars).|
|Associations / Societies|
|Public Relations Society of America (Executive Board of Counselors Academy);
Publicity Club of Los Angeles (Secretary/Board of Directors);
Institute of Mangement Consultants (Board of Directors);
Public Interest Radio and Television Education Society.
American Heart Associations (Chairman, Communications Committee)
|Awards / Recognition|
|Expert has won numerous awards over the years for his work in communications from both local and national professional trade organizations.|
|Medical / Professional|
|Interned with Smith & Garrick, a Beverly Hills, CA public relations firm.|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has written articles for numerous business, professional and trade magazines throughout the United States.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
| Expert is an experienced expert witness having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in cases throughout the United States. Following is an overview of the type, nature and diversity of cases he has participated in:
• Represented the Rigas family of Adelphia when they were defendants in a lawsuit brought by a public relations firm claiming it wasn't paid by them for services rendered (e.g. evaluated quality of service and strategy as well as provided and analyzed all billing to determine appropriateness and amount of money billed). (Los Angeles, California)
• Represented a newspaper editor (plaintiff) in a defamation lawsuit against the editor of a rival newspaper for an article published accusing him of murder. (San Jose, California)
• Counseled a plaintiff, the co-owner of a public relations firm, who was in the midst of a divorce case on how to discover and identify assets in a firm partnership. (Los Angeles, California)
• Provided counsel to a defendant in a case where a journalist claimed loss of income, property and damage to potential earnings resulting from loss of portfolio in a fire. (Walnut Creek, California)
• Served as counsel/expert witness for the defendant (police) in a case where plaintiff claimed his image and business was ruined from media exposure related to actions by police after an arrest. (Charleston, West Virginia)
• Represented plaintiff (individual) in a defamation lawsuit against former employer (insurance company) which claimed that plaintiff after leaving company had stolen clients and was involved in identity theft. (Union City, California)
• Served as expert witness on behalf of plaintiff (doctor) in a defamation case whereby his reputation in the medical community was damaged. (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
• Provided counsel to defendant (car dealership) in defamation case involving alleged factual errors in direct mail solicitation letter which damaged reputation of plaintiff. (Oakland, Calif.)
• Served as expert witness for the plaintiff (a chain of medical-oriented colleges) in a defamation lawsuit where it alleged the defendants made false accusations against it in a series of media interviews. (Jackson, Mississippi)
• Served as an expert witness for the defendant (attorney) in a defamation case where the plaintiff (attorney) accused defendant of generating media exposure of sanctions plaintiff received from Bankruptcy Court, thus damaging reputation resulting in loss of business. (Las Vegas, Nevada)
• Served as an expert to prepare an analysis/report for an attorney who had been sanctioned by the California State Bar detailing the negative effects the publication of the sanction has had on his image and reputation thus harming his ability to practice law. (Los Angeles, California)
• Served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in a defamation case. The plaintiff is a branch manager of a large national bank who was accused by a competitor of being unethical, incompetent, unprofessional and having no skills by a competitor in a series of communications to others in their industry. (Atlanta, Georgia)
• Served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in a defamation case. The plaintiff is a doctor and the defendant is one of the nation’s largest health care providers. The company sent out false information on the plaintiff saying he had been sanctioned and also was unable to write prescriptions. The company first refused and then was slow in rectifying error causing damage to the plaintiff’s reputation and practice. (Tampa, Florida)
• Served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in a defamation case. The plaintiff is a residential real estate agent who was accused of interference with a business relationship involving a client of another real estate company. A breach of ethics complaint was filed against her with no merit and the public exposure damaged her reputation. (Nashville, Tennessee)
|He is an expert in all industries listed in his fields of expertise as outlined.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
| Expert Witness Experience Cont.:
• Served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in litigation against one of the nation’s most respected and prestigious universities. Plaintiff was a senior at the university when he was accused of engaging in an illegal act off campus of which he maintains he was innocent. Plaintiff was expelled from school depriving him of a degree and resulting in a loss of a major business position. (Durham, North Carolina)’
• Served as an expert witness on behalf of defendant in a defamation case involving an internet blog that expressed great displeasure with a major community theatre and its artistic director who had fired the defendant for his personal sexual life as it intersected with his duties at the theatre. (Spokane, Washington)
• Served as an expert witness for the plaintiff in a case where the buyer of a newspaper sued the seller post-sale for breach of contract, fraud, misrepresentation, interference with a business relationship, etc. based on false information provided during sales process, lack of performance and detrimental actions taken after the sales. (Palm Beach, Florida)
• Served as an expert witness for the defendant in a case in which the defendant filed a counterclaim for defamation against the plaintiff, a former employer. After the defendant resigned and started his own business, the plaintiff initiated a series of negative communications within the industry which damaged the defendant’s image and reputation. (Minneapolis, Minnesota).
• Served as an expert witness for the defendant in a defamation case brought by a former employee and contractor against a major city public agency. Plaintiff claimed the agency failed to protect the company and owner when there was significant media coverage of a major public dispute that damaged their image and reputation. (Honolulu, Hawaii)
• Served as an expert witness for the defendant (a city police department) in a case where an entertainment/media professional was struck by a police car and claimed that her injuries would have severe negative impact on her future career. (San Diego, California)
Expert is a nationally recognized expert in the area of crisis communications having represented people, businesses and organizations who are controversial, have a negative image or in trouble. Because of this expertise, he has served as an expert media information source for local and national media.
While in the United States Army (1966-68), he served in the Public Information Office in West Germany and provided traditional public relations counsel and services.
MEDIA EXPERT INFORMATION SOURCE
Because of this vast experience, he has been utilized by the mass media nationally as an expert media information source on news, issues and matters relating to litigation communications, image development and repair, controversial people/businesses and those facing a crisis (articles and video tape examples available upon request). One prime example, during and between the O.J. Simpson criminal and civil trials, he was often interviewed by media both in this country and around the world.
Expert's firm was possibly the first firm in the United States representing the legal profession beginning the day after the U.S. Supreme Court’s Bates v. Arizona
Decision (1978). Over the years, the firm has represented over 125 legal entities, including law firms, bar associations, bar review courses and lawyer referral services. As a result, Expert has been involved in hundreds of litigation cases and trials, handling the communications as part of the litigation strategy. Therefore, he has extensive knowledge, experience and experience in all aspects and phases of the litigation process.