Expert in Renewable Chemicals, Polymers and Ingredients
Expert ID: 736617 Netherlands
• Operating across the globe with a strategic focus to bring innovations from technology to market.
• Creating, building and growing global business platforms, based on solid understanding of technology and market needs and based on meaningful long-term relationships.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills with customers, partners and colleagues; trust and integrity are key ingredients to build bridges.
• Strong track record in business and strategic marketing, strategy, R&D and technology deployment with a focus on innovation, market development and product management.
• Established growth platforms in diverse markets such as: food ingredients, bio-based chemicals, (bio)plastics, agrochemicals and micro-electronics with total recurring value of over 75 mln Euro.
Visionary, inspired, and experienced professional in high-performance materials and bio-based chemicals, ingredients and plastics value-chains. Passionately focused on sustainable products and solutions. Pioneer with a global perspective. Strategic thinker. Networker and connector. Creates and builds global platforms from the ground up, based on solid understanding of technology, market drivers and stakeholder needs and insights in chemical value-chains, chemical industry dynamics, fermentation, biorefineries and feed-stocks.
Solid track record in business and strategy development, marketing and innovation with good understanding of applications, functionality and technology. Established solid growth platforms in diverse markets such as fibers, food ingredients, bio-based chemicals and bioplastics in various application fields.
• Academic background in Physical Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry and subsequently educated in Technical Marketing, Economics, and a Nyenrode Business education.
• Extensive experience in R&D, B2B Marketing, business development, innovation management and strategy deployment.
• Understand details while maintaining an overview on various aspects for a range of subjects.
• International and multidisciplinary experience to view subjects from different perspectives.
• Ability to develop a vision for the future and build a strategy and action plan around that.
• Ability to influence the direction of new developments both internally and externally.
• Ability to identify key-trends, think strategically and call on a solid technical and chemistry background, business acumen, and networking skills that build solid and sustainable business relations.
Innovative & Creative: Always open for new and better ways to build bridges and create business opportunities.
Analytical Skills: Quickly gather and analyze facts and figures to support decision making and identify new trends.
Motivator & Coach: Passionate about bringing out the best in people. Able to build a vision and plan that people want to be part of.
Relationship Builder: Strong conviction that good relations are essential for success.
Business Strategy: Expertise about (bio-based) chemical value-chains and business strategy.
Notable Career Achievements:
- Created several new product market opportunities in a variety of industries. Examples include new food ingredients, industrial solvents for agrochemicals, lactides and PLA.
- Recognized as one of the driving forces behind the bioplastics industry. Had the foresight, courage and perseverance to push through even in difficult periods.
- Made a significant contribution towards the formation to 2 JV’s with very large chemical players (BASF and Total)
- Part of the team that pioneered the US market for p-aramid fibers
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Utrecht - The Hague - Rotterdam
|Year: 2008||Degree: FMA||Subject: Management||Institution: Nyenrode Business University|
|Year: 1990||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Physical Organic Chemistry||Institution: University at Utrecht|
|Year: 1986||Degree: Bachelor||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: University at Utrecht|
|Years: 2020 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Business Director||Department:||Responsibilities: Company inside bioplastic, paper and concrete is a worldwide solution for deforestation, plastic waste and water pollution.|
|Years: 2019 to 2020||Employer: Hanze University of Applied Sciences||Title: Professor Biobased Business Valorization||Department: International Business School||Responsibilities: Professorship Biobased Business Valorization. Bringing together the circular economy programs of the International Business School, School of Marketing and the Biobased Knowledge Center. The Biobased Knowledge center is connected with the Carbohydrate Competence Center and the Protein Competence Centre. Topics of interest: new business models and technology for vegan food proteins, polyhydroxyalkanoates, grass valorization, algae and agro feedstocks amongst others in the value pyramid.|
|Years: 2018 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President & Founder||Department:||Responsibilities: Offers Management Consultancy, Advice and Counseling Services. Focuses in the fields of the Biobased Economy, Materials and Chemicals, Sustainability and Circular Economy.|
|Years: 2014 to 2019||Employer: Corbion||Title: Sr. Director Biobased Innovations||Department: Innovation||Responsibilities: Identifying and creating options for new strategic business and technology opportunities for food ingredients, bioplastics and biobased chemicals.
Co-creation of the biobased economy in the Netherlands, Europe and beyond.
Development and management of a portfolio of high potential value strategic projects. These projects were on the one hand focused on break-through technologies for bringing down the cost of existing products, and on the other hand identified new long-term top-line growth opportunities.
|Years: 2008 to 2015||Employer: Corbion||Title: Director Strategic Marketing & Venture Development||Department:||Responsibilities: Established and developed new growth platforms in the food ingredients, bioplastics and biobased chemicals industry.
Efforts have resulted in a JV with BASF on Succinic acid and more recently with Total on PLA.
• Explored and established various partnerships in the chemical, biotech, plastics and biobased industry space.
• Established new strategic growth directions for the company based on Corbion’s core and adjacent capabilities in high growth and high-volume platforms, amongst others PLA, FDCA and succinic acid with a potential market value in excess of 150 mln Euro.
• Between 2009 and 2011, engaged as Board member of European Bioplastics Association.
|Years: 2007 to 2008||Employer: Eastman Chemical||Title: Field Marketing Manager||Department: Co-polyesters||Responsibilities: Market development for specialty co-polyester applications. Intensive experience with Business and Marketing Excellence.
• Responsible for marketing of SPECTAR, a specialty co-polyester, in the Visual Merchandizing market.
• Gained intensive experience with stage-gate project processes.
|Years: 2001 to 2007||Employer: Corbion||Title: Director Strategic Business Development||Department:||Responsibilities: In particular focused on bioplastics and food industries.
Between 2009 and 2011 engaged as a Board member for the European Bioplastics Association.
• Solid track-record in business development in a variety of PMC’s, a.o. Agrochemicals and Electronics, was established.
• A substantial part of this work was devoted to the exploration and development of value-propositions for new PMC’s through direct interfacing with partners and customers globally.
• Product management of a highly profitable product line of lactate esters.
• Solid business results were achieved in several segments.
• Leading the new business development effort for PLA.
• A valuable global network throughout the polymer value-chains was established.
• A unique value-proposition was developed based on high-heat PLA and the innovation program to develop several products and technologies was delivered.
• The development of a new fermentation based lactic acid product was a key part of this strategy, and still is today.
|Years: 1998 to 2001||Employer: Purac Biochem||Title: Global Market Development Manager||Department: Marketing and Application||Responsibilities: Responsible for global market development of lactic acid and lactates in a variety of food and industrial markets. Screening, Scouting and development of value-propositions for several new Product-Market Combinations.
• Market Development of (bio-based) chemicals in a variety of industries, a.o. micro-electronics, solvent cleaning and cosmetics & HPC undertaken for North-America.
• Registrations for use of solvents in Agrochemical formulations and use of lactic acid as a safe sanitizer.
• An entrepreneurial spirit, technical application insights and a self-starters mentality were required.
• Geographical responsibilities included the USA, Canada and Mexico.
• Worked as part of a small global team with an ambitious growth plan.
• Several new market segments were identified and further developed globally in subsequent years.
|Years: 1995 to 1998||Employer: Teijin Aramid Inc.||Title: Technical Account Manager||Department: Sales Office USA||Responsibilities: Responsible for technical support of customers for the high performance p-aramid fiber 'Twaron' in Mexico, U.S.A. and Canada in the industrial products segment.
• Marketing and technical support of customers for the high performance p-aramid fiber 'Twaron' in the industrial products segment.
• Geographical responsibility for USA, Canada and Mexico.
• Key responsibilities were market and sales development, sales support, handling of quality issues and complaints, technical service and coordination of technical development with Akzo Nobel head-quarters in Arnhem, the Netherlands.
|Years: 1990 to 1995||Employer: Akzo Nobel Aramid Fibers||Title: New Applications Development Engineer||Department: MRG||Responsibilities: • Mission to develop new PMC’s for synthetic “Twaron” p-aramid fiber products. Activities included application research and contacts with prospects, a.o. in plastics, coatings, rubber reinforcement and
• Conducted and coordinated product development projects and applications research, competitive analysis, both in house and in cooperation with customers.
• Giving lectures and writing marketing communications. Some of the results accomplished during this period are described in Patents.
|Years: 2011 to 2013||Agency: CSM Pension Fund||Role: Board Member||Description: 180 min Euro under management|
|Years: 2009 to 2011||Agency: European Bioplastics Association||Role: Board Member||Description:|
|Associations / Societies|
|CSM Pension Fund
European Bioplastics Association
|Guest speaker and panelist at numerous conferences, for instance:
• Biobased Chemicals World (Amsterdam)
• Biochemicals Summit (China)
• BIO World Congress (USA)
• European Bioplastics Conference (Europe)
• European Forum for Industrial Biotechnology (Europe)
• Pacific Rim Summit on Biotechnology (USA)
• World Bio Markets Asia (Malaysia)
• World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology (USA)
|Training / Seminars|
- Academy for Psychodynamics 2018
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People 2017
- Team Oriented Innovation Management