Expert in Specialty Chemicals and Plastics, Marketing and Business Intelligence and Strategy
- He conducted research to determine market segmentation and priority, buying decision processes at all stages of the value chain, competitive dynamics, and product value and pricing strategy for a family of new building products, characteristics of competitive materials and processes.
- He planned and conducted an extensive set of marketing research studies to identify applications and competitive materials to target with a new engineering polymer, including determining market segmentation and priority, buying decision processes at all stages of the value chain, competitive dynamics, and product value and pricing strategy.
- Based upon field research, he devised technology licensing strategy, negotiated licenses, and developed marketing strategy for a decorative building material.
EXPERT has extensive experience conducting marketing research projects, managing market and business development programs, and developing marketing and business development strategies for:
- chemicals and plastics producers
- intermediate chemicals and polymers converters
- professional and consumer end users
His experience includes materials such as:
- polyester intermediates, oligomers, and polymers (terephthalic acid and DMT, other organic acids and glycols) and unsaturated polyester resins; physical and chemcial recycle of polyesters
- nylon intermediates and polymers (adipic acid, otehr organic acids, diamine)
- polyurethane raw materials, ingredients and formulations (ester and ether polyols, PTMEG, isocyanates)
- epoxies and epoxides
- organic solvents and intermediate materials
Conversion industries and processors, including:
- coatings formulators
- injection molding
- film and sheet extrusion
End user industries, for example:
- building materials distribution, contractors, architects, designers
- medical devices
- consumer electronics
- commercial and consumer housewares, sports bottles
- infant care products including bottles
- eyewear and ophthalmics
- specialty decorative glazing products, security glazing
- alternative energy
- bio materials and bio fuels, biodegradable plastic
- fossil fuels
- clean coal, gasification
EXPERT developed and executed business strategies and market development programs for a spectrum of technology intensive business ventures, for example:
1. He led development of business plan and acquisition strategy leading to creation of subsidiary providing Business Processing Outsourcing services in the Health, Safety and Environmental area.
2. He led development of business plan for a new industrial chemical, and he led the global market development sales team.
The EXPERT was instrumental in planning and implementing key elements of client's Stage Gate process and in leading Stage Gate project teams.
PROBLEM: Client needed an actionable segmentation of the approx 75,000 home builders in the US, to guide introduction of new building product.
SOLUTION: conducted a portfolio of marketing research projects: in-depth interviews with national, regional and local builders; focus groups; interviews with workers and managers at construction sites; telephone survey of building products dealers. Expert developed and presentated analysis and recommendations to corporate leaders and collaborated with business managers to create and execute market development strategy and plans.
RESULT: Client incorporated Expert's recommended market development approach into the successful launch of the new product. PROBLEM: Client's R&D had developed a new specialty polymer formulation but lacked insight about its potential applications "fits" and its value versus incumbent materials.
SOLUTION: Expert designed and executed a series of anonymous internet based panel discussions among polymer and end user industry experts, identifying attractive end uses and strengths, weakness and potential value vs incumbent materials. Expert presented conclusions and recommendations regarding market development targets, priorities and programs to R&D and corporate leaders.
RESULT: Client adopted Expert's recommendations and engaged the Expert to conduct detailed marketing research programs in high priority segments. Client successfully introduced dthe newpolymer formulation into multiple market segments. PROBLEM: Client's R&D had developed a new process to make a significant industrial chemical, but Client lacked insight as to its value vs existing manufacturing processes.
SOLUTION: Expert designed a business research program, and engaged and managed third party experts to analyze competitive process economics, raw material logistics, and downstream integration of current producers. Building on these results, Expert conducted additional research to assess each producer's competitive positioning and strategic intent. Expert provided assessment of the competitiveness of the new process technology to R&D and business leaders, including analysis and prioritization of potential partners and competitors.
RESULT: Expert recommended commercialization targets and strategies, including technology licensing approaches not previously considered by Client. Client is in on-going licensing discussions.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: San Antonio, Texas - Austin, Texas - Waco, Texas - Killeen, Texas - College Station, Texas - Bryan, Texas - Round Rock, Texas - Temple, Texas
|Year: 1975||Degree: MS||Subject: Chemical and Petroleum Engineering||Institution: Kansas University|
|Year: 1972||Degree: BS||Subject: Chemical Engineering||Institution: Univ of Texas - Austin, TX|
|Years: 2008 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal||Department: Undisclosed||Responsibilities: Marketing and business strategy consulting
Recent experience includes building materials and green building designs; engineering polymers for housewares and infant care products, medical devices, ophthalmics and eyewear, home appliances; paint, coating and polymer intermediates; chemicals-from-coal; solar energy and alternative fuels; bio-materials and plastics recycling; flexible and rigid packaging materials and systems.
Product and materials expertise includes:
Polymers – Polyamides, polyesters, urethanes, olefin copolymers, vinyls, epoxies
Chemicals – Specialty intermediates (alcohol, ester, carboxyl, oxirane, amine), Active Solvents, SynGas / Methanol derivatives
|Years: 1996 to 2008||Employer: Eastman Chemical||Title: Undisclosed||Department: Global marketing||Responsibilities: Led and played pivotal roles in launching key market and business development initiatives; in building the Marketing Research team and Eastman's marketing capabilities; and in managing major consultant relationships, including:
- Specialty chemicals
- Specialty polymers
- Business Process Outsourcing service provider
|Years: 1975 to 1996||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Market Research Manager||Department: Undisclosed||Responsibilities: Led reorganization of internal and market facing polyester recycling operations
1. Led reorganization of internal and market facing polyester recycling operations
2. Planned and executed marketing research, market development, and new business development programs supporting DuPont’s Nylon and Polyester Intermediates unit
3. Led development of business and marketing strategy for a new coatings ingredients business unit
|Years: 1972 to 1973||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Engineer||Department: Undisclosed||Responsibilities: Marketing engineer - Custom molding shop|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 1984 to 1989||Country / Region: South America||Summary: Liaison with company subsidiaries and distributors in South America:
- Marketing and sales training
- Product training
- Field market development in-region
- Marketing research projects conducted in region
|Training / Seminars|
|- Marketing and Market Research for Technical Employees
- How to .... Marketing Research
- Assessing and Addressing Risk in Stage Gate Projects
- Business Insights for Stage Gate Projects
|Deep, extensive experience with all phases of business and managment consultant contracting: identification, assessment and selection, project scope development, contract negotiation and administration, project management.
Developed consultant management system, and provided company-wide training in consultant management fundamentals.
|Deep, extensive experience in a broad spectrum of commodity and specialty chemicals (eg alcohols, esters, amides, isocyanates, epoxides, olefins, etc) and plastics (polyesters, polyamides, polyurethanes, epoxies, acrylics, etc), industries which consume and convert these products (injection molders, film converters, coating and adhesives formulators, polymer systems integrators, etc), and end user industries (automotive, building products, food/beverage packaging, consumer packaging, medical devices, electrical and electronics, etc).|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Marketing and business strategy development for new products and new markets.
Effective, insightful linkage between consumer aesthetics and the client's technical community.