Expert in Technical Marketing, Business and Proof of Concept Problems, Product Development Strategies, FTO, and Chemistry Related to Polymers
Expert ID: 737984 Michigan, USA
Prior to this, Expert was the Technology and Engineering Director for Seal Bond, a global manufacturer of Adhesives, Sealants & Coatings. In this role, Expert was responsible for the Technical management of the product development organization and managing the product portfolio. He was also responsible for driving engineering improvements of all the company manufacturing processes.
Prior to this, Expert was a Global Technology Leader for DuPont, where he held product development portfolio responsibility for Nonwovens. Previously, Expert held the position of Senior Research Leader Commercial Markets, while working at E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. Expert held this role for 33 years. Expert completed a Ph.D. in Polymer and Analytical Chemistry from Ohio University, in 1984.
Areas of Expertise
• Extensive experience in PACE (Product Cycle Time Excellence) protocol for new product development. Over $0.75 Billion dollars in technology and revenues in a 37 year career.
• Global expert in supply chain of chemicals, hybrid silane polymer adhesive and sealant formulation, development of new urethane / hybrid silanes, materials science problems, etc.
• Experience in government (defense, DARPA) / industrial / university program leadership etc. Developing and negotiating contracts. Conceiving and exercising industrial / university research proposals
• Extensive experience (both global and domestically), in direct customer interface and leading global cross-functional teams.
• Very experienced in analyzing environmental samples for heavy metals, water analysis, PFAS, etc.
• Contemporary approaches to University Teaching Certification
• Elements of Quality Matters: Deliver on your online promise. Teaching Certification.
• Learning to Teach Online by Linkedin.
• Served on several Masters and Dissertation committees at NC State University.
• Developed instructional plans for several courses / short courses / webinars in Chemistry, Product Development and Intellectual property.
• Six-sigma black belt certified.
• Certified ISO 9000 Auditor.
• Expertise in IR / IR microscopy, Raman, UV/ VIS, XRF, SEM / EDX, DSC, TMA, TGA, Instron, Density, Refractive index, GC, GC/MSD, IGC, GPC, Wet Methods, surface topography etc.
• Extensive experience in characterizing polymers for quality, process and product improvements.
• Extensive experience in analytical methods development in support of new products and processes.
• Nonwovens expert in Analytical characterization.
• Extensive experience in polyester polymerization, stretching, biaxial stretching and heat set processes.
Representative Research Achievements
• Development of Fluid Applied WRB, adhesives, sealants and coatings commercial roof, wall and below grade construction applications.
• Developed a high dielectric strength Mylar product for film / foil capacitors using synthetically precipitated cubic inorganic particles.
• Led a cross-functional team which developed the fundamental process parameters which control fiber tear and seal strength in Tyvek® medical packaging.
• Led a global cross-functional global team to develop a new Mylar product using MIE scattering theory that aids in the manufacture of photoresists.
• Led a global cross-functional team to develop a new Mylar product using a co-extrusion process and copolymer polyester technology for high voltage capacitors and flyback transformers.
• Developed the 18 gauge thermally resistant polyester film product used in bar code label ribbons and dye sublimation digital photography today. This included the surface topography, physical properties and high temperature characteristics.
• Developed a Child Resistant Blister package for the pharmaceutical industry using proprietary polyester / copolyester spinning and bonding technology.
|Year: 1984||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: Ohio University|
|Years: 2017 to 2022||Employer: Seal Bond||Title: Technology and Engineering Director||Department: Research|
Responsibilities:In this role, was responsible for the Technical management of the product development organization and managing the product portfolio. He was also responsible for driving engineering improvements of all the company manufacturing processes.
|Years: 1984 to 2017||Employer: DuPont||Title: Global Technology Leader||Department: Safety and Protection|
Responsibilities:Technical Direction responsibility for the Commercial product Marketspace.
Responsible for all product development and approval of fluid applied products in the commercial building marketspace.
Gatekeeper of the Fluid Applied Product Portfolio.
Liaison to Coordinate Research Programs with Academia.
Directly responsible for 3/4 of a billion dollars of revenue delivered to Dupont.
Global leadership responsibilities for product development and research for fibers and films.
Recognized global expert in polymer and processing fundamentals of thermoplastic fibers and films.
|Years: 2017 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal||Department: Research|
Responsibilities:He consults on complex technical marketing, business and proof of concept problems. He is a global expert in product development strategies, FTO, and chemistry related to polymers, environmental and product stewardship. He is also an expert on NFPA 30 and NFPA 400 guidelines related to storage and use of hazardous chemicals in an industrial environment.
|Associations / Societies|
|• Member of the Canvas Network Teaching Organization
• Member of the Online Teaching Consortium
• Virginia Academy of Sciences
• American Chemical Society
• The Fiber Society
• Society of Applied Spectroscopy
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Six Sigma Black Belt
International Code Council - No Expiration
elements of Quality Matters - No Expiration
|• Past board member of Big Brothers / Big Sisters of Fairfield County, Ohio
• Chairman of the Mental Health and Recovery Services Board of Fairfield County, Ohio for 2 years.
• Member of the Mental Health and Recovery Services Board of Fairfield County, Ohio for 8 years
and Chairman of their Quality Improvement Committee.
Scientific Advisory Board Scientific Advisory Board
Virginia Academy of Sciences Virginia Academy of Sciences Science and Technology Science and Technology
Scientific Advisory Board Scientific Advisory Board
North Carolina State Nonwovens Consortium North Carolina State Nonwovens Consortium 4 yrs Science and Technology
|Awards / Recognition|
|Distinguished Alumni Award Distinguished Alumni Award Issued by University of Rio Grande Alumni Association
Corporate Marketing Excellence Award Corporate Marketing Excellence Award
Issued by DuPont
Donald F. Clippinger Award for Superior Research by a Graduate Student Donald F. Clippinger Award for Superior Research by a Graduate Student Issued by Ohio University
Associated with Ohio University
|Publications and Patents Summary|
Fields of Expertise
alkoxysilane, organofunctional silane, methyltrichlorosilane, polysilane, silane compound, silane coupling agent, tetraethoxysilane, nylon, polyimide, nonwoven polyester mat, polyester, polyester extrusion, polyester bag, polyester fabric, polyester fiber, polyester fiber production, polyester film, polyester film coating process, polyester polyol, polyether polyol, polymer polyol, polyol, polyolefin application, polyolefin fiber, polyolefin film, polyolefin manufacturing, polyolefin manufacturing technology management, polyolefin resin, polyolefin stability, polyolefin technology transfer, Polyolefins, spunbonded polyolefin