Expert in Biological Systems Engineering
Expert ID: 734784 Arizona, USA
- Innovative applied scientist and engineer with a multitude of skills, a patent portfolio, over 20 years of commercial experience in the aquaculture, agriculture, food, and bioenergy industries with a focus on environmental sustainability and resource management.
- Experienced entrepreneur and consultant effectively developing global relationships with business, legal, nongovernmental organizations, academic, and government organizations via strong communication, interpersonal skills, leadership qualities, and dedication to mission.
- Skilled in project design, project management, experimental design, data management, and data translation with a unique ability to critically analyze and effectively communicate information to all levels of audiences.
- Professional scientist and engineer with experience in business, production, research and development, intellectual property development, technology transfer, environmental policy and regulation, managing multi-dimensional teams, and leading start-ups.
- Focused on the application of advanced technologies for addressing the production of food and pharmaceutical crops, hydroponic systems, vertical farming, controlled environments, recirculating aquaculture systems, aquaponics systems, production of plant based phytochemical products, biological remediation technologies, integrated farming technologies, biotechnology, and environmental sciences.
- Aquaculture specialist with over 20 years of experience with fish, invertebrate, and algae culture; designing, commissioning and operating extensive and intensive systems, recirculating aquaculture systems, integrated multitrophic aquaculture, aquaponics, and integrated farming systems; experienced with water chemistry, water filtration design, bioprospecting, broodstock collection and conditioning, and feed formulations.
- Plant physiologist and agronomist with over 10 years of commercial experience with all forms of plant production in field, greenhouse, and controlled environments.
- Experienced in designing, commissioning, operating and managing hydroponics, aquaponics, aquaculture, controlled environment agriculture (CEA), vertical farming and all aspects of hydroponic plant production processes; develops fertilizer formulations, turnkey production systems, and CEA systems for the hydroponics and aquaponics industries.
- Expert in light management in controlled environments, tissue culture, cloning, nutrient fertilizer formulation, sensors and controls, automation, integrated pest management, biosecurity, soil and all forms of hydroponics, genetics and strain development, and various aspects of designing and managing commercial operations.
- Managerial experience running multimillion-dollar research and development labs, directing research and development, transferring technology, and managing commercial aquaculture and hydroponic plant production in the field, greenhouses, and in controlled environments.
- Experienced consultant in the commercial agriculture and hydroponics industry with a focus on the commercial production of medicinal plants and algae for the food, fertilizer, cosmetics, nutraceutical and pharmaceutical industries.
- Serves as a scientific and technical consultant in the fields of biotechnology, hydroponics, horticulture, greenhouse engineering, controlled environments, vertical farming, agriculture, aquaponics, aquaculture, algae, and sustainable integrated farming working with leaders in business, intellectual property development, and research contexts.
- Goal driven passionate scientist and engineer focused on developing and implementing economically and environmentally sustainable solutions for a bioeconomic world.
|Year: 2009||Degree: Doctor of Philosophy||Subject: Agriculture and Biological Systems Engineering Minor: Soil, Water, and Environmental Science Graduate Certificate: Water Policy and Management||Institution: University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ|
|Year: 2004||Degree: Master of Science||Subject: Marine Biology||Institution: Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL|
|Year: 2000||Degree: Bachelor of Science||Subject: Marine Biology and Ecology Minor: Aquaculture||Institution: Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, FL|
|Years: 2003 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: - Consults domestically and internationally with private companies, government entities, and research institutions.
- Serves as a scientific and technical consultant in the fields of agriculture, aquaculture, aquaponics, greenhouse hydroponics, controlled environments, vertical farming, environmental science, sustainability, and biotechnology.
- Provides scientific and engineering consultation for the food, bioenergy, nutraceutical, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Provides technical writing, donor relations, intellectual property development, and project management services.
|Years: 2011 to 2014||Employer: Heliae Development LLC||Title: – Manager of Photobioreactor Development||Department:||Responsibilities: - Managed the research and development of photobioreactor production systems for the algae production platform, coordinated research and development with production, legal, and business departments.
- Implemented and managed teams, budgets, timelines, project plans, research plans and experimentation, data acquisition, data analysis, and presented results to scientists, engineers, media, and corporate leaders.
- Guided the research and product development of a biotech start-up, generated intellectual property, and successfully developed and transferred technology platforms.
|Years: 2010 to 2011||Employer: United States AID (USAID) Aquafish CRSP Program, New Caledonia||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Consulted in the design and operations of an algae and sea cucumber farm, designed water filtration systems, and assisted in commissioning of the farm. Successfully produced sea cucumbers and surpassed projected goals.
- Provided technical advice, presented technical information, and collaborated with U.S. government officials, French Institute for Exploration of the Sea, French government officials, private businesses, and local producers of fish, shrimp, sea cucumbers, greenhouse vegetables, and agricultural products.
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Employer: United States AID (USAID) Aquafish CRSP Program, Trinidad & Tobago||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Consulted in the design of aquaculture and aquaponics production systems, provided workshops and training seminars, and technical assistance on freshwater tropical aquaculture and aquaponics projects.
- Provided technical advice, presented technical information, and collaborated with U.S. government officials, Institute of Marine Affairs, Seafood Industry Development Corporation, University of the West Indies, Trinidad government officials, private businesses and local producers of fish, greenhouse vegetables and agricultural products.
|Years: 2009 to 2010||Employer: United States AID (USAID) Aquafish CRSP Program, Guyana||Title: Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Consulted in the design of fish hatcheries, fish ponds and integrated farming systems, formulated fish feeds sourced from local commodities, and assisted in the initial stages of the development of the aquaculture industry in Guyana.
- Provided technical advice and collaborated with U.S. government officials, Carana Corporation, World Bank, Guyana Department of Fisheries of the ministry of Agriculture, Guyanese government officials, and local producers of tilapia and agricultural products. Provided workshops for the Ministry of Agriculture.
|Years: 2008 to 2010||Employer: University of Arizona Environmental Research Lab, Arizona||Title: Research Associate||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed data collection, data analysis, manuscript preparation, presentations, and public speaking events regarding various research projects, including the completion of my doctoral studies.
- Designed, constructed, and managed the aquaponics research greenhouse.
- Provided leadership as a mentor to undergraduate and graduate students.
|Years: 2006 to 2008||Employer: University of Arizona College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Tucson, Arizona||Title: Teaching Assistant||Department:||Responsibilities: - Teaching assistant for the Freshwater and Marine Algae and the Aquatic Plants and the Environment courses.
- Assisted the professor with lab experimentation, field trips, and field sampling.
- Chaperoned field trips in Arizona and Mexico.
|Years: 2002 to 2004||Employer: Florida Institute of Technology Department of Biological Sciences||Title: Research Assistant and Lab Manager||Department:||Responsibilities: Conducted research and managed a marine ornamental lab under the Florida Sea Grant Program.
- Designed and managed an ornamental fish research lab.
- Collected broodstock, spawned broodstock, and cultivated marine fish larvae and live feeds.
- Collected field samples for research and aquaculture.
- Utilized high-speed video kinematics to analyze the prey selection of marine ornamental fish larvae throughout their life cycle.
- Assisted with manuscript preparation, presentation of findings to peer groups, and co-authored a chapter in a book.
|Years: 2003 to 2004||Employer: University of Hawaii, Honolulu||Title: Research Assistant (Contractor)||Department:||Responsibilities: - Assisted in projects on behavioral ecology and sensory biology of stingrays.
- Collected live male and female stingrays from the field.
- Collected morphological data and metrics.
- Dissected and sampled Amplullae of Lorenzini organs and prepared blood serum samples
|Years: 2002 to 2004||Employer: Aloha Pet & Bird Hospital||Title: Veterinary Technician||Department:||Responsibilities: Interacted with clients and provided basic examinations.
- Assisted veterinarians with exams, surgery, day-to-day maintenance, and clients.
- Conducted hematological lab work.
|Years: 2000 to 2002||Employer: Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, Oceans, Reefs and Aquariums||Title: Production & Shipping Manager||Department:||Responsibilities: - Produced marine ornamental fish, seahorses, shrimp, seaweeds, and corals in recirculating aquaculture systems.
- Responsible for designing and managing aquaculture systems, shipping orders to meet deadlines, fish collection and conditioning, live feed production, marine fish cultivation, maintaining filtration systems, and designing aquariums.
|Years: 1999 to 2000||Employer: Florida Medical Entomology Lab||Title: Research Technician||Department:||Responsibilities: - Assisted entomological researchers regarding the biological and ecological interactions between different mosquito species.
- Collected mosquitoes from field locations in teams and individually.
- Maintained a mosquito cultivation research lab.
- Organized data and file databases.
|Years: 1998 to 1999||Employer: Seacamp Association Inc||Title: Science Teacher and Camp Counselor||Department:||Responsibilities: Assisted in teaching SCUBA diving, marine science, marine ecology, sailing, and other various water activities.
- Responsible for assisting in site maintenance, maintaining SCUBA equipment, and captaining boats for teaching marine science in the field.
- Received lifeguard, SCUBA Rescue Diver certification, CPR/PR certification, Lifeguard certification, and participated in a Captain’s course certification program.
- Assisted shark researchers in collecting specimens, tagging, handling, filming and collecting data both in the lab and in the field.
- Mentored and chaperoned campers.
|Years: 2009 to 2011||Agency: United States AID (USAID) Aquafish CRSP Program||Role: Consultant||Description:|
World Aquaculture Society
Aquaculture Engineering Society
International Society of Horticulture Science
American Society for Agriculture and Biosystems Engineers
American Tilapia Association
American Fisheries Society
American Elasmobranch Society
NAUI - Advanced Diver / Rescue Diver
Red Cross CPR/PR
|Awards / Recognition|
|United States Presidential Volunteer Service Award (Gold Level)
Graduate Certificate in Water Policy, University of Arizona
Graduate Certificate in Aquaculture, University of Arizona
PHI ETA SIGMA National Honor Society Award
George E.P. Smith Agriculture Irrigation Engineering Scholarship
University of the Virgin Islands Aquaponics Short Course Certificate of Completion,
Certificate of Appreciation, NASA SPACEHAB STS-107 STARS Mission
United States Junior Olympic Soccer Team (Bronze Medal)
|Other Relevant Experience|
MS Office including advanced mastery of Excel and Power Point, MS Project, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Mendeley, Endnote, Elsevier BioSource and other peer reviewed research databases, Campbell Scientific Software, Berkley Madonna, MATLAB, JMP, modelling software, GraphPad Prism, SPSS, Katsuri Feed Formulation, Red Lake Imaging software. Experienced with a variety of research analytical tools and techniques for analyzing water, biomass, and microbes.
Fields of Expertise
biology, agronomy, innovation, research and development, horticulture, water filtration system, greenhouse vegetable production, plant natural product, photosynthesis, plant physiology, marine biology, ecology, aquatic chemistry, biomass, alga, sustainable agriculture, environmental science, biological system, aquaculture, hydroponics, plant production controlled environment, agricultural biotechnology