Expert in Coatings & Process Engineering, Full Product Development Cycle
Expert ID: 739239 Virginia, USA
Over the past 25 years, he has developed a diverse set of skills and experience across several different industries internationally to work with suppliers and coworkers. His Bachelor’s degree in chemistry provided a strong foundation for his work in chemical manufacturing, aerospace, and pharmaceutical manufacturing, where he developed a deep understanding of complex manufacturing processes and the importance of quality control in the strictest of industries. More specific to the client at-hand, Expert's nearly decade-long experience working with paints and coatings as a process engineer involved overseeing production lines, troubleshooting equipment failures, and ensuring that products were manufactured according to strict standards. This experience honed his ability to work effectively within cross-functional teams and manage complex projects with many moving parts. Additionally, his experience working with suppliers and coworkers internationally gave him insight into how to manage relationships with external partners and negotiate contracts in a way that benefits all parties and stakeholders. This skill is particularly valuable in today's globalized economy, where businesses often need to work with partners and suppliers from around the world to succeed. Expert is learning 3D modeling and printing and Python programming, which are both highly technical and require a significant amount of skill and attention to detail. Pursuing a master's degree in robotics and artificial intelligence further demonstrates his interest in staying on the cutting edge of new technology and exploring new ways to solve complex problems. Overall, his expertise includes a deep knowledge of complex manufacturing processes, strong project management, teamwork skills, and the ability to think creatively to solve problems with a technical mindset. His drive to continually learn and stay up to date with new technology is also a valuable asset in today’s global economy.
Highlights of Expertise:
• Process Engineering
• Materials Management
• Continuous Improvement
• New Product Introduction
• Project Management
• P&ID creation/editing
• Data Analysis
Platforms: Windows XP/7/8.x/10, Linux (Debian, Raspian, Octoprint)
Tools: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, Project), SAP, Fusion 360, Filmora Wondershare 11, Trackwise, Macola, E2, QI Analyst, Minitab, InfoDream ShopTrak, SPC Vision/Dashboard/Config, SmarTeam, various slicing software. Some python coding experience.
Automated Equipment: Worked with ABB, Fanuc, and other fully and semi-automated systems for sandblasting and spray coatings.
Coatings Delivery Systems:
• Spray coatings: conventional, HVLP, airless, rotary atomization electrostatic spray.
• Liquid film: curtain coating, direct emulsion.
• Solid film: squeeze roll lamination
• Also experienced with distribution (aka “churn room”) systems.
Chemical Surface Prep: Experienced with titanium etch, chromate conversion coating (Alodine), stainless steel etch, stainless steel passivation, zinc phosphate coatings, alkaline cleaning, Some experience working with anodizing and electroplating.
Mechanical Surface Prep: Sandblasting, sanding, IPA wiping.
Curing: Convection oven, infrared lamp.
|Year: 1997||Degree: BS||Subject: Chemistry||Institution: Gannon University|
|Years: 2021 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Prototype Designer & Consultant||Department:|
Responsibilities:Designed, built, and tested multiple prototypes using a combination of 3D printed assemblies, alloy parts, and circuitry. Employer-taught 3D modeling in Fusion 360, slicing in Cura, and printing with both Anycubic Kobra Max and Creality Ender-3 printers. Custom 3D printed projects are primarily printed using PLA, PETG, while branching out into ABS. Created a YouTube channel in 2019 to document several projects and methodology behind the 3D modeling, slicing, and printing and other hobbies. A sample of key prototype projects are listed below.
Key Achievements (Design & Build):
• a “fighter pilot” sun visor for a client able to be attached to any noise canceling headset.
• a custom-built, portable filtration system to remove VOCs for 3D printing hobbyists.
• a pneumatic “muscle” from scratch that can lift approximately 50 lbs.
• a basic Raspberry Pi driven robotic arm from scratch, programmed in Python.
|Years: 2020 to 2021||Employer: Merck||Title: Manufacturing / Process Engineer||Department: Technical Operations|
Responsibilities:Joined leading pharmaceutical manufacturer aseptic antibiotic vial filling process team. Performed investigations, root cause analysis, and continuous improvement initiatives in the Component Prep area to reduce unplanned process downtime, ensure aseptic conditions, and meet regulatory requirements. These investigations included outside the immediate factory across plant site, upstream with vendors, and downstream in Europe and Asia at pack and labeling plants. All investigations were managed through SAP Quality Notifications. Managed completion of project change controls through Trackwise system for equipment upgrades and new implementations, including updated area SOPs and performing training.
• Successfully completed four aseptic process simulations (confirms aseptic conditions in favorable process conditions for microbe growth)
• Completed change controls and implementation of multiple equipment installations and upgrades (oxygen analyzer, Smeja HMI panel, etc.)
• Completed numerous investigations covering events caused in the immediate factory, across site, at suppliers, and downstream off-site at pack and label sites
|Years: 2019 to 2020||Employer: Green Applications, LLC (AKA FM Expressions)||Title: Industrial Engineer||Department:|
Responsibilities:Joined leading manufacturer of heat transfers for apparel and fabric-based brand promotion gear. Performed root cause analysis and continuous improvement initiatives in screen developing room to improve screen quality. Implemented temperature & humidity sensors in screen development room. Initiated data analysis of multiple machines against sensor data. Built a temporary partition between wash and coating area for improved atmosphere control. Updated area SOPs and training materials. Lead the Virginia facility safety team for 8 months. Reimplemented static neutralizing equipment on press lines to improve product quality from static generated between squeegee and screen. Revised waste stream policy for bulk industrial waste storage and hauling.
• Created KPI board and populated with daily metrics for screen development area
• Implemented screen room data analysis across multiple machines and sensors
• Lead installation of 20T air conditioning unit with heater for screen room climate control
|Years: 2017 to 2018||Employer: James Hardie Building Products||Title: Coatings Engineer (Engineer III)||Department:|
Responsibilities:Joined leading manufacturer of fiber cement technology to lead network-wide Coatings Teams responsible for application of coatings and protective laminate films. Lead multifaceted laminate coverage improvement project trials and implementation of modified equipment for product finishing area. Technical lead for reciprocating spray booth and conveyor line for two installations. Investigated alternative process equipment for improving proprietary fluid applications. Created and updated SOPs, equipment specs, and equipment standards.
• Project lead for improving laminate coverage through trialing and implementing technology changes for seven ColorPlus production lines in four US plants (NV, TX, VA, IL)
• Project lead for primer coating implementation at SC plant in mid-2018
• Technical lead for spray trials prior to implementing new production lines in Pulaski, VA and Peru, IL plants in first and second quarters of 2019
• Performed hardware review for ColorPlus spray booth equipment standardization across multiple plants
|Years: 2014 to 2017||Employer: Safran Aerospace Composites||Title: Coatings Engineer (Process Engineer)||Department:|
Responsibilities:Supervised Coatings and Surface Prep Team responsible for preparation and application of erosion resistant coatings within highly controlled production environment at leading manufacturer of LEAP jet engine fan blades. Maintained logistics of short- to long-range objectives and priorities; monitor, manage, and allocate resources to ensure timely work completion by operational units; report status of projects to management and senior management weekly. Technical lead for capital equipment selection, testing, and implementation with over $2M value. Mapped out current and future processes for redefining documentation systems integration. Closely monitored processes using statistical process control software and in the mindset of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma. Trained and coached teams to boost productivity and meet customer requirements. Served as valued resource for advancing cost control, product configuration revisions, and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Improved product quality and process efficiency while ramping production by 500% in less than 3 years
• Keenly identified opportunity to converge paint and preparation processes across multiple part configurations, yielding notable efficiency improvements greater than 25%
• Played chief role in selection and implementation of new automated paint booth offering improved efficiencies and quality control consistencies.
• Spearheaded effort to revamp of coatings visual inspection criteria improving area productivity one-third the takt time and reducing product non-conformances by greater than 50% for 2016.
• Analyzed and mapped out streamlining of processes to implement quicker change management and facilitate limited procedural work redundancies.
|Years: 2011 to 2014||Employer: Parker Lord (Formerly Lord Corporation)||Title: Manufacturing Engineer||Department:|
Responsibilities:Expertly led, trained and mentored cross-disciplinary Process Control Team in delivering products for metal preparations division of adhesive, coating and vibration control technologies development firm. Partnered with Operations to evaluate asset needs and capabilities for continuous process improvement while ensuring alignment with cost/benefit feasibility and implementation strategy. Monitored shop-floor activities; conducted inspections to identify and address safety/quality issues. Functioned as lead trainer for operator training certifications and recertification program. Employed 8 Disciplines (8D) and 5 Whys problem-solving processes to analyze and resolve source of manufacturing issues. Created and maintained metal preparations equipment and process specifications. Technical lead through several Nadcap audits. Many products manufactured by Parker Lord are ITAR / EAR controlled.
• Orchestrated revamp of HCL LEAN Manufacturing team board, resulting in 121% score improvement from previous year during interplant audit.
• Spearheaded streamlining of process for operator tooling requests by developing online portal to reduce redundancy of requests and to provide feedback metrics to requestors.
• Established and coordinated enterprise-wide rollout of salt-spray testing procedure.
• Hand-picked as team leader for specification review Kaizen events, and delivered key contributions to several mini Kaizen events.
|Years: 2008 to 2010||Employer: PSB Industries, Inc.||Title: Applications Specialist||Department:|
Responsibilities:• Created preliminary designs for quoting gas and liquid purification and dryers systems globally based on customer specifications
• Streamlined numerous aspects of the preliminary design and estimating process for improved efficiency and quicker quote turnaround
• Created methods for data mining firm sales and previous quotes
• Estimated cost of raw materials, engineering, and labor requirements
• Created and manage technical bulletins for several product lines
|Years: 1999 to 2008||Employer: ChemAssociates||Title: Owner/Sole Proprietor||Department:|
Responsibilities:• Created a wholesaling business of chemical products and laboratory equipment
• Contracted commission based sales for two vendors and obtained four other proprietary suppliers
• Managed several specific end-user product development projects
|Years: 1999 to 2005||Employer: Post Apple Scientific, Inc.||Title: Product Management & e-Commerce||Department:|
Responsibilities:• Redeveloped Post Apple Scientific, Inc.’s (PAS) website to offer online sales and implemented real-time UPS shipping quotes
• Integrated ChemAssociates' back-office software and database to manage all online sales through PAS's website
• Managed all online advertising for thousands of products
• Expanded the vast online product portfolio adding hundreds of new products
• Researched and developed custom products for customers
|Years: 1997 to 1998||Employer: Detrex Corporation||Title: Chemist||Department:|
Responsibilities:• Performed multiple R&D projects for lab, pilot, and large-scale reactions
• Developed analytical methods and laboratory standard operating procedures
• Performed QC analysis using AA, gravimetric, FTIR, GC/MS, HPLC, and UV-Vis
• Key role in cGMP compliance and ISO 9002 certification
|Training / Seminars|
|MBA coursework at Gannon University|
Fields of Expertise
automation, automation engineering, coatings, air spraying, air-assisted airless spraying, airless spraying, chromate conversion coating material, aluminum chemical etching, chemical etching, stainless steel acid etching, stainless steel chemical etching, stainless steel passivation, zinc phosphate coating, sand blasting, alkaline degreasing, curtain coating, coating-drying oven, infrared oven, aerospace manufacturing, manufacturing equipment, industrial engineering, high volume low pressure, electrostatic painting, emulsion coating material, silk-screen printing