Expert in Drilling and Completion Fluids, Chemicals, Processing and Drilling-Waste Management
- Expert has supervised the Drilling Fluids, Solids Control Equipment, Waste Generation & Waste Management in the international drilling sector since 1977.
- As well as being a Drilling Fluids Specialist, he is very knowledgeable as regards drilling operations, rig mobilization, running/ cementing of casing, and safe rig-up/ rig-down of equipment.
- He has worked with drilling fluids in more than 13 countries, for Drilling Fluids Companies and Operators, both on- and off-shore.
- Expert has also received Certifications in Mexican Labor Law Compliance, Mexican Occupation HSE Compliance and Mexican Handling & Disposal of Industrial Wastes Legislation Compliance.
- He in Bi-lingual, fluent in both English and Spanish.
- Has worked in the drilling & completions fluids, chemicals, processing and drilling-waste management industries, strengthening projects & operations with technical and managerial expertise.
- Experienced in performing a range of technical and business operations for companies globally. Well versed in project start-ups & execution, including strategy planning, logistics, management, formal bidding processes and staff hiring and training. Well versed in formal Request for Information/ Quotation/ Proposal processes.
- Has a proven track record for establishing productive relationships with critical stakeholder groups, and building skilled, motivated local and expatriate teams. Adept at giving presentations and promoting business offerings to both technical and executive staff.
MANAGERIAL SKILLS SUMMARY:
- Supervised drilling fluids engineers, drilling fluids processing equipment, drilling waste management/ disposal services and drilling fluids chemical products logistics for up to 14 rigs at once, in a total of 11 countries.
- Able to prepare & analyze Cash Flows, Inventory Cost Analyses, Invoice Aging, Annual Budgets, Budget Variance Analyses and Profit/ Loss Statements.
- Experienced with strategic planning, budgeting and marketing in single and dual currency environments.
- Experienced at managing product inventories, equipment rentals and vehicle fleets, internal and external negotiation of contracts, international export, import, shipping, customs, warehousing and transport of goods.
- Able to prepare domestic and foreign bids and manage their financial and operational execution.
- Country manager for 2 companies in 3 countries.
- Appointed Legal Representative for 2 companies in 2 countries.
HUMAN RESOURCE & HSE EXPERIENCE SUMMARY:
- Directly responsible for HR & HSE in operations in the US and 3 Latin American countries, twice as country manager, twice as waste management supervisor and once as district manager.
- Managed expats & nationals in Argentina, Brazil, Columbia, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, India, México, Nigeria, United Arab Emirates, United States & Venezuela.
- Experienced with Mexican Federal Gov’t. Safety & Environmental audits of installations and Industrial Waste Management requirements.
DRILLING FLUIDS EXPERIENCE SUMMARY:
- Drilling Fluids Systems used: Poly Anionic Cellulose, Partially Hydrolyzed Pol-Acrylamides, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Carboxy Methyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Glycols, Diesel / Low Toxicity / Synthetic Oil Based, Mixed Metal Oxides, Formates, CaCl2/NaCl/KCl, Formate Brines, Packer Fluids, Completion Brines, Drill-In Fluids, Stress-Cage Fluids, Horizontal / Multilateral / Extended Reach / Hi-Pressure-Hi-Temperature / Managed Pressure / Under Balanced Drilling Operations & Mud Caps. Well versed in drilling highly reactive shales & karstic/fractured carbonates, lost circulation management, production enhancement and corrosion control.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Houston, Texas - Pasadena, Texas - Beaumont, Texas - College Station, Texas - Baytown, Texas - Bryan, Texas - Sugar Land, Texas - Port Arthur, Texas - Galveston, Texas - Missouri City, Texas
|Year: 1990||Degree: Bachelor of Science||Subject: Computer Information Systems (CIS)||Institution: University of Houston|
|Years: 2017 to 2020||Employer: Petram Group (working for Halliburton-Baroid)||Title: Drilling Fluids Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Performed chemical and physical QA/ QC tests of drilling fluids. Maintained accurate inventory of treating chemicals on-site by anticipating usage, and ordering/stocking products as required.|
|Years: 2016 to 2017||Employer: Empressa Petrolera Del Istmo||Title: Drilling Fluids Prog. Supervisor||Department:||Responsibilities: Led RFI/ Q/ P and bidding processes, minimizing risk and maximizing value in terms of quality, delivery and total cost for the drilling fluids chemicals required for a 5-well drilling program.|
|Years: 2010 to 2016||Employer: Dubai Petroleum||Title: Drilling/ Completions Fluids Coordinator||Department:||Responsibilities: Began as Drilling Fluids Engineering Supervisor, supervising the batch & non-batch multi-WBM drilling fluids programs aboard two jack-up rigs offshore Dubai.
Promoted to Drilling/ Completions Fluids Coordinator position, supervising two Drilling Fluids Engineering Supervisors and six Drilling Fluids Engineers. Reviewed/ created reports and other documentation to identify & recommend solutions to fluids-related problems.
Wrote Environmental Impact Assessment for an offshore SOBM project, which was accepted by Dubai environmental authority.
Supervised the Acceptance Testing (Commissioning) of drilling fluids related systems of a new JU3000 jack-up rig. Supervised the mud engineering, SCE and waste management of a +18k ft. HPHT/MPD WBM/SOBM well on same rig.
Monitored assigned sourcing projects to assure on-time completion and guaranteed supply. Led the RFI/ Q/ P (Request for Information/ Quotation/ information/ Proposal) and bidding processes, minimizing risk and maximizing value in terms of quality, delivery and total cost of ownership. Maintained monthly KPI records.
Managed the start-up operations of a logistically challenging, two well, onshore, drilling fluids campaign, which was comprised of Water Based, NaCl Brine Based, Synthetic Oil Based and Potassium Formate Based drilling & completion fluids, and saw it through to successful completion.
|Years: 2008 to 2010||Employer: Sierra-Hamilton Engineering||Title: Senior Drilling Fluids/ SCE/ Waste Supervisor||Department:||Responsibilities: 1) Senior Drilling Fluids/ SCE/ Waste Supervisor for IPM-Schlumberger, Villahermosa, Mexico
Supervised the Drilling Fluids, Solids Control Equipment, Waste Generation and Management of 14 land rigs. 14,000-23,700 ft. depths; MPD/Under-balanced & Dual-Gradient nitrogen-injected, KCl/polymer & HPHT-Oil Based Muds.
This experience included the first application of a concentric-pipe nitrogen injection technique for drilling a managed pressure depleted well, and IPM-Schlumberger's world-record deepest well & world-record deepest coiled tubing acid stimulation job (Pache-13; MPD in 8 ½" & 5 7/8").
2) Senior Drilling Fluids Engineer for Noble Energy, Malabo, Offshore Equatorial Guinea
Supervised the batch-drilling fluids programs on two semi-submersible drilling rigs, drilling HPHT/ MPD-WBM/ SOBM wells in 3,300+ ft. water depths, offshore Equatorial Guinea. The 5-fluid, drilling program required multiple, complex, displacement, pit, vessel & shore-base management plans.
|Years: 2006 to 2008||Employer: Self-Employed||Title: Drilling Fluids Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Currently supervising the Drilling Fluids operations of two semi-submersibles in Equatorial Guinea, for an Operator.
In Villahermosa, Mexico, he supervised the Drilling Fluids, Solids Control Equipment, Waste Generation & Waste Management of up to 15 drilling rigs, drilling three well types, to 4,500 to 7,200-plus meter depths, in 25 geographic areas. The Mud weights ranged from 0.7 SG (underbalanced single & dual-phase, nitrogen-injected DF) to 2.0-plus Specific Gravity.
Offshore Ghana, he supervised the drilling fluids program aboard the Songa “Saturn” drill-ship in 1,100 meter water depths on a two well program, as one of the senior mud engineers.
Prior to that, he commissioned the drilling fluids/ mixing/ pumping/ SCE systems of the drill-ship Songa “Saturn” during the trip from Tuzla, Turkey to Eq. Guinea. He wrote the Commissioning Report & Procedures Manual, as well as detailed the operational & safety issues to be addressed for these systems. As one of the senior mud engineers, he supervised the drilling fluids program aboard the same drill-ship, in water depths up to 1,000 meters, for all six exploratory wells of the project.
|Years: 2005 to 2006||Employer: Scomi OilTools||Title: Country Manager, Mexico||Department:||Responsibilities: Executed start-up operations in Mexico for this Solids Control Equipment Rental & Waste Management company. He was responsible for a $9 million budget, 61 employees and all aspects of operations. He managed all logistics, importations & tracking of equipment. He established a processing plant that prepared Oil Based Mud Cuttings for incineration, as raw material, in the production of cement for CEMEX. He prepared documentation for 5 offshore bids, and gave quarterly presentations to the VP of International Operations & twice yearly presentations to the CEO.|
|Years: 2001 to 2005||Employer: Remedy Energy Services||Title: Consultant, Various Positions||Department: Burgos Mexico||Responsibilities: As a “New Ventures Analyst” contracted to an international client, prepared a market analysis of the Venezuelan drilling and drilling fluids market.
As an “HSE Manager”, contracted to Lewis Energy, Laredo, Mexico, he was responsible for compliance with Mexico’s HSE laws during startup operations of Lewis Energy’s Multiple Service Contract in the Olmos block, Coahuila, Mexico. He also prepared Lewis Energy´s Emergency Response Plan.
As a “Logistics & HSE Manager, contracted to Precision Drilling, Reynosa, Mexico, was responsible for the Logistics & HSE department’s functions for Precision Drilling in the Burgos Gas project, in Mexico. The project started with three rigs & support equipment, then, imported four more rigs & support equipment. This represents 700+ employees, 200+ vehicles, seven drilling rigs, six wire-line units/ cranes, six well testing units, two office & two warehouse/ yard installations, nuclear sources & explosives. He reduced fleet maintenance costs by 30%, Logistics Department salary expenditures by 50%, & hazardous and non-hazardous wastes generation by 25%. Assured compliance with Mexico’s environmental protection laws that pertain specifically to companies drilling in Mexico, prepared Precision´s Emergency Response Plan, and participated in well planning & site construction/reduction of all six well types.
As a “Well Site Supervisor, contracted to Precision Drilling, Reynosa, Mexico, managed a small land rig, supervising six expatriates and 24 Mexican nationals, in the Burgos Gas project. He was responsible for all drilling operations, rig mobilization, bit/ nozzle selection, running/ cementing of casing, etc. He completed the assigned drilling program 33% ahead of schedule.
While performing all the above mentioned duties, he was also the Remedy Energy Services “Drilling Fluids Specialist”, providing Management with insight regarding mud systems, problems & solutions.
|Years: 1999 to 2001||Employer: Self-Employed||Title: Consultant, Senior Drilling Fluids Program Supervisor||Department: MI-SWACO PetroZuata||Responsibilities: As a “Senior Drilling Fluids Program Supervisor”, he supervised all aspects of the drilling fluids operations of three rigs, drilling extended-reach, multi-lateral, horizontal wells, at the Conoco-Phillips PetroZuata Heavy Oil Project, in the Orinoco River Basin, Venezuela. He supervised 12 Venezuelan Mud Engineers.|
|Years: 1998 to 1999||Employer: BlackHawk Drilling Products||Title: Latin American Operations Manager||Department: Mexico/Venezuela||Responsibilities: Prepared & executed the business plan for start-up operations in Mexico & Venezuela for this drilling fluids company. He wrote all mud, casing & hydraulics programs, as well as supervised mud engineering, mud products, solids control & cuttings disposal services and logistics for 5 rigs in the Burgos Gas Project, Mexico. He gave quarterly presentations to the CEO.|
|Years: 1995 to 1998||Employer: Sun Drilling Products||Title: Country Manager, Venezuela & Colombia||Department: Venezuela/Colombia||Responsibilities: Responsible for all aspects of operations of this specialty drilling fluids chemical, and equipment rental company, in both Venezuela & Columbia. He supervised 20 Venezuelan nationals, and gave twice yearly presentations to Board of Directors.|
|Years: 1991 to 1995||Employer: Self-Employed||Title: Consultant Drilling Fluids Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Worked as a contract mud engineer on/ off-shore, in Nigeria, Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico & Wyoming.|
|Years: 1988 to 1991||Employer: IBM||Title: Gulf Coast Sales Representative||Department:||Responsibilities: Demonstrated software & hardware to +150 IBM distributors in a four state area, and at industry shows. Concurrently he attended the University of Houston, and completed a B.S. in Business Computer Information Systems.|
|Years: 1986 to 1988||Employer: WestBridge OilField Products||Title: Drilling Fluids Engineer||Department: USA, Brazil, Peru, & India||Responsibilities: Drilling Fluids Engineer for specialty drilling fluids products, in the USA, Brazil, Peru & India. Ran experimental Polyacrylamide (PAM) - based polymer drilling fluids systems developed by W. R. (Bill) Holden throughout the USA, South America & in India.|
|Years: 1985 to 1985||Employer: MUDTECH Laboratories||Title: Drilling Fluids Specialist||Department:||Responsibilities: Performed extensive testing & trouble shooting of many types of drilling, completion & packer fluids. Devised testing plans & parameters for WESTBRIDGE OILFIELD PRODUCTS. Established the computer database, report maintenance & billing systems.|
|Years: 1984 to 1984||Employer: Bridas OIl Company||Title: Drilling Fluids Program Supervisor||Department: Argentina||Responsibilities: Supervised the drilling fluids program on a 27,000 foot HPHT KCl WBM & OBM exploratory well in Argentina. Responsible for a $4 million budget & 12 Argentine nationals.|
|Years: 1983 to 1983||Employer: N.L. Baroid||Title: Drilling Fluids Engineer||Department: Brazil||Responsibilities: Drilling fluids engineer on and off-shore Salvador, Bahia, Brazil.|
|Years: 1978 to 1982||Employer: IMCO Services||Title: Drilling Fluids Engineer/ District Co-Manager||Department: Argentina||Responsibilities: Began as a drilling fluids engineer in the USA Tech Pool, and working in the lab. Transferred to Argentina as Co-Manager of the Salta District. Responsible for all aspects of operations. Supervised 6 Argentine nationals & many expat engineers.|
|Licenses / Certifications|
HUET (Many times; not current)
Current H2S Awareness
Current H2S Fitment
SPE Lost Circulation: Challenges and Solutions (May 2014)
Murchison Advanced Drilling Technology (Aug. 2011)
Labor Law Compliance Certificate - Mexico
Occupation HSE Compliance Certificate - Mexico
Industrial Waste Management Compliance Certificate - Mexico
IADC WellCAP BOP Certification (Many times; not current)
BAROID Mud Engineering, Advanced Mud Engineering, & Advanced Drilling Technology
IMCO Mud Engineering, Advanced Mud Engineering, & Advanced Drilling Technology
|Training / Seminars|
|Additional Education: Completed 90+ hours towards a Bio-Chemistry degree, University of Houston.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Adept with Excel, Word & PowerPoint.
Have frequently used DIMS, OneTrax & WellSite Express; familiar with MudPro, WellView & OpenWells.
|Spanish||Fluent: Spent many years working in Latin America in 100% Spanish speaking environments.|