Expert in Genetics, Transgenic, Epigenetics, Nutrition, Vascular, Cell Biology, Atheroclerosis, Angiogenesis
Expert ID: 729152 United Kingdom
He has more than 20 years of experience in research project management in the areas of animal biotechnology and biomedical science. He has published in excess of 40 peer-reviewed manuscripts, review articles and book chapters. He has been successful in raising more than £ 1M in external research funding. He also has long standing experience in biotechnological and applied research having acted as scientific advisor to several biotech companies and having submitted several patent applications. His current research interests and expertise are in the areas of:
• nutrition & epigenetics
• cardiovascular disease
• metabolic programming
• genome engineering
• cell line development
His specific qualifications include:
• profound biomedical and biotechnological background knowledge (disease areas: vascular disease, diabetes, cancer, inflammation, infection)
• more than 20 years of experience in the areas of immunology, molecular biology, cell biology and biochemistry
• experience in cell-based assay development using fluorescent and luminescent markers
• profound knowledge of a broad range of technologies and techniques in biomedical and analytical science including ELISA, RIA, Western blotting, flow-cytometry and functional assays
• In excess of 50 publications and more than 10 successful grant applications
• More than 10 years of experience in project management as principal investigator with budget responsibility
• experience of representing employers to a variety of customer and stakeholder groups (scientists, politicians, representatives of industry, students)
• experience as referee for journals and funding agencies
• successful coordination of national and international collaborative research projects
• many years of experience in staff and student supervision
• experience with working under Quality Assurance (ISO 9001/GLP) regulations (addressing recordkeeping, personnel qualifications, cleanliness, equipment verification, process validation) and with developing QA compatible protocols of record keeping and Standard Operating Procedures
• experience with health and safety regulations (responsibility for category II lab)
• experience with the development of animal model systems and animal transgenesis (personal and project license holder)
• experience as advisor to biotech companies
• aptitude for applied/commercial science (2 patent applications) with a good overview over the biologics area (especially antibody therapeutics)
• keen eye for detail and excellent analytical skills
• effective team-player with well-developed interpersonal skills
2001-2005 Technical advisor Hannah Interactions Ltd.2004-2006 Member of scientific advisory board Transpovec, Inc.
|Year: 1993||Degree: Ph.D.||Subject: Genetics||Institution: University of Munich, Germany|
|Year: 1992||Degree: MSc - Aufbaustudiengang||Subject: Biotechnology||Institution: Technical University of Munich|
|Year: 1989||Degree: MSc - Diplom||Subject: Biology||Institution: Technical University of Munich|
|Years: 2006 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal Investigator/Research Fellow||Department: Rowett Institute of Nutrition and Health||Responsibilities: He is responsible for the development of an independent research programme within the remit of the Institute. He has budgetary responsibility for core research funding and external research grants. He has supervisory duties for staff and students. He is also involved in teaching.|
|Years: 1997 to 2005||Employer: Hannah Research Institute||Title: Principal Investigator||Department: Molecular Recognition Group||Responsibilities: He is responsible for the development of an independent research programme within the remit of the Institute. He has budgetary responsibility for core research funding and external research grants. He has supervisory duties for staff and students. He is also involved in teaching.|
|Years: 1992 to 1997||Employer: University of Wuerzburg, Germany||Title: Postdoc||Department: Institute of Virology and Immunology||Responsibilities: Responsible for carrying out research under partial supervision.|
|Years: 1989 to 1992||Employer: University of Munich||Title: Ph.D. student||Department: Institute of Molecular Animal Breeding||Responsibilities: Carrying out research under supervision|
|Years: 2006 to Present||Agency: Scottish Government Rural Affairs (Agriculture & Environment) Department||Role: Principal Scientist||Description: 1. To conceive, implement and supervise SEERAD and externally funded projects to determine how diet, more specifically B vitamins protect against vascular disease and cancer.
2. To apply for external funding to supplement other areas of my research into nutrition, epigenetics and vascular health.
3. To prepare and submit papers to relevant peer-reviewed journals.
4. To supervise students and visiting scientists.
5. To attend and/or present research at conferences and public events
|Years: 1997 to 2005||Agency: Scottish Government Rural Affairs (Agriculture & Environment) Department||Role: Principal Scientist||Description: 1. As principal author, an annual output of two original publications per annum on a rolling three year mean.
2. Scientific contribution to the annual scientific forward look of the Research Group
3. Meeting research milestones detailed in the Rural Affairs Department Research Objectives.
|Associations / Societies|
|2004-2007 Member, International Society for Transgenic Technology;
2006-2008 Member, Nutrition Society;
2007-current Member, Scottish Stem Cell Network;
2007-current Member, Nutrigenomics Network.
|Licenses / Certifications|
|2001 UK Personal and Project License holder for animal experimentation in mice.|
|Member of Editorial Board of World Journal of Diabetes.
Referee for the following journals:
Journal of Biotechnology;
Genes and Function;
Journal of Cellular Biochemistry;
Biotechnology & Bioengineering;
Trends in Biotechnology;
Nucleic Acids Research;
Applied Biochemistry & Biotechnology.
Referee for the following funding agencies:
Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology;
Israeli Science Foundation.
External referee for Master’s and Ph.D. theses:
University of Edinburgh;
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|43 publications (including refereed publication, review articles, book chapters and communications for a non-specialist audicence) and 2 patents.|
|Training / Seminars|
|More than 10 years of teaching experience in different Universities.|
|More than 20 years of experience in purchasing of research equipment, consumables and services.|
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Experience in health and safety aspects and legal framework for gene-technology and animal experimentation (license holder).|
Fields of Expertise
biotechnology, cloning technique, dairy nutrition, DNA, eukaryotic gene, gene, gene characterization, gene expression, genetic engineering, genetic manipulation, genetically engineered material, genetics, genome, genomics, locus, milk protein, molecular biology, molecular genetics, monoclonal antibody, mutagenesis, recombinant antibody, recombinant DNA, recombinant DNA technology, transgenesis, transgenic animal, transgenic technology, epigenetics, biochemical genetics, molecular diagnostics, DNA microarray, genetic disease, DNA assay, fluorescence in situ hybridization probe, human biology, cow's milk, food intake, Southern blotting, infant formula formulation, infant formula, DNA probe, molecular genetics testing, vascular biology, human genome, DNA technology, developmental biology, human genetics, recombinant cell, vitaminology, human growth, infant growth, casein protein, disease, transformation, genetic probe, cancer, food component, whey protein, genotype, DNA sequencing, protein engineering, metabolic disease, nucleic acid, folic acid deficiency anemia, genetic vector, vascular disease, nutrition, milk, immunoglobulin, gene therapy, gene fusion, DNA analysis, dairy product, biology, atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, animal nutrition, angiogenesis