Expert in Healthcare Economy
Expert ID: 736411 Georgia, USA
|Year: 2008||Degree: MSc||Subject: Health Services||Institution: University of Washington|
|Year: 1985||Degree: PhD||Subject: Economics||Institution: University of Florida|
|Year: 1979||Degree: BBA||Subject: Accounting and Information Systems||Institution: Georgia Southern University|
|Years: 2017 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: President||Department:|
Responsibilities:Consults on government contracts. For example, he is the Senior Statistician for a large contract. Expert witness testimony and analysis for healthcare disputes and other types of litigation.
|Years: 2016 to 2017||Employer: Booz Allen Hamilton||Title: Senior Lead Technologist||Department: Federal Healthcare Financing|
Responsibilities:Consulted as a statistics and economics expert on federal contracts with CMS and VA. Supervised junior staff and prepared proposals for new business.
|Years: 2014 to 2016||Employer: IMPAQ International||Title: Director of Analytics||Department: Federal Healthcare Financing|
Responsibilities:Consulted as a statistics and economics expert on federal contracts with CMS. Supervised junior staff and prepared proposals for new business.
|Years: 2012 to 2014||Employer: Inovalon, Inc.||Title: Senior Health Economics & Outcomes Researcher||Department: Statistics|
Responsibilities:Conducted health economics and outcomes research for health insurance companies and provider organizations. Analyzed a large database of healthcare claims.
|Years: 2010 to 2012||Employer: King County, Washington||Title: Healthcare Economist||Department: Office of Management and Budget|
Responsibilities:Managed a database of county employee healthcare claims. Wrote and presented reports about the county's workplace wellness program. Authored articles published in peer-reviewed journals.
|Years: 2006 to 2008||Employer: Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington||Title: Senior Research Fellow||Department: Health Economics|
Responsibilities:Completed a two-year post-doctoral training program on cancer care and prevention. Published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals.
|Years: 2000 to 2006||Employer: Research and Planning Consultants||Title: Senior Economist||Department: Litigation Support|
Responsibilities:Managed Tampa, Florida office. Testified as an expert witness and provided other litigation support services. Most of the cases were about healthcare, such as hospital certificates of need disputes, healthcare claims disputes, anti-trust litigation and state agency regulation. Some cases were non-healthcare related, such as employment discrimination, state regulation of the citrus industry and lost wages disputes.
|Years: 2010 to 2012||Agency: King County, Washington||Role: Healthcare Economist||Description: Managed a database of county employee healthcare claims. Wrote and presented reports about the county's workplace wellness program. Authored articles published in peer-reviewed journals.|
|Years: 1994 to 1998||Agency: Bureau of Economics and Business Research, State of Florida||Role: Associate Director||Description: Managed a staff of 10 researchers and support personnel. Prepared reports and studies on the economy of Florida.|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Authored 17 articles in peer-reviewed healthcare journals.
Authored 9 articles in other peer-reviewed journals.
Authored 4 book chapters.
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Here is a partial list.
- Testified at a Florida administrative hearing on the state’s worker’s compensation medical expense reimbursement system.
- Was deposed in this contest of the granting of a certificate of need for an open-heart surgery center.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this dispute of worker’s compensation hospital bills submitted for reimbursement.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this lawsuit for lost profits by a hospital.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this civil anti-trust action between BC/BS Health Insurance and HCA, Incorporated.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this anti-trust lawsuit between two health insurance systems.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this dispute about the Texas Worker’s Compensation hospital reimbursement fee schedule.
- Co-authored a report submitted to the court in this dispute about the interpretation of a Texas statute regulating the Worker’s Compensation system.
- Coauthored a report prepared for this challenge to the granting of a certificate of need.
- Co-authored a report prepared for this dispute that involved a hospital that required HMO’s to sign an exclusivity requirement.
- Prepared an analysis of this contest of the Texas Medicaid reimbursement formula.
- Prepared an analysis in this anti-trust and breach-of-contract lawsuit between a physician group and a physician.
- Assisted in the preparation of a report submitted to the arbitrator in this dispute about the accuracy of the audited financial statements of a Texas hospital.
|Training / Seminars|
|Expert completed a two-year pot-doctoral training program on cancer care and prevention at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington.|