Expert in Marine, Offshore, and Power Generation (Global Sales and Service Business)
Expert ID: 736491 Florida, USA
Expert has as a proven technical Service and Sales leader with a unique combination of skills developed through an extensive focused career with a top-quality education enhanced by extensive civil construction, industrial, as well as offshore / marine experience. This technical service and sales experience have
allowed for concentrated involvement with engineering, project management, contracting, strategic planning, contracting, business development, and commercial management. A long track record of success through uncommon technical and business problem solving. Proven as a highly effective change and optimization Service and Sales leader.
Expert has more than 20 years in a high-level international P&L business leadership role with several businesses in more than 20 countries. He has personally led over $2B in project sales and development in my career. In addition to these corporate roles, he owns a consulting company that does industry research, sales representation, and marketing support for companies expanding into the marine, Offshore Oil and Gas, and Power Generation sectors. Expert is a professor in Alabama where he is helping to develop a Marine & Offshore Engineering Major and teaches Marine Engineering.
Lastly, Expert has been on the board of multiple Universities, Industry Organizations, and Corporations which has certainly enhanced his industry and business awareness.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Houston
|Year: 2013||Degree:||Subject: Strategic Leadership for Operations||Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sloan School of Business|
|Year: 2012||Degree: MBA||Subject: Business||Institution: Auburn University|
|Year: 1990||Degree: BS||Subject: Marine Engineering Systems||Institution: US Merchant Marine Academy|
|Years: 2019 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Director||Department: Marine||Responsibilities: Managing International Sales and Service Business with large Power Solutions.|
|Years: 2016 to 2019||Employer: GE Transportation||Title: Director - Americas||Department: Marine Stationary and Drill, Sales and Distribution||Responsibilities: Managed the Sales and Service of Marine and Offshore Projects including Power Generation.|
|Years: 2014 to 2016||Employer: Thrustmaster||Title: Global Director of Service||Department:||Responsibilities: After Sales Equipment Service Management (Resource, Operations, Sales and HSE)
• Responsible for the day to day management, operations, and entire profit & loss of the Global Service Group in the United States, South America, Europe, Middle East, and Asia.
• Service, Overhaul, Repair, and Commissioning of a wide variety of propulsion systems including: diesel driven hydraulic power units, hydraulic pumping systems, drive motors, variable frequency drives, rotating gear sets, mechanical shafts and drives, sealing systems, steering systems, nozzle systems, cooling and lubrication pumping systems, and control systems.
• Provided direct management of 8 department and regional service managers with approximately 100 direct and indirect field service personnel.
• Annual P & L Responsibility of $45M
• Additional Responsibilities and Accomplishments:
• This global service group handles thousands of service jobs, commissioning projects, all parts distribution, technical advisements, and warranty support per year.
• Fully empowered to provide thoughtful and affective organizational change including the centralization efforts of the world-wide service processing and management.
• Member of the Corporate Senior Management Team reporting directly to the CEO.
• Directly managed the After-Sales Management Team (Called Product Support Management Team) which was made up of Regional direct reports including Field Service Managers, Parts Manager, Commissioning Manager, Engineering Manager, Training Manager, and Business Control Manager.
• Developed and institutionalized the entire organization with scheduling systems, processes and procedures, cost and business controls, skillset development, safety awareness initiatives, as well as recruitment and retention programs.
• Providing formal lifecycle support and maintenance guidelines for the entire installed base of product lines worldwide.
• Managed the Subcontractor service support network.
• Managed the entire parts sales and distribution efforts.
|Years: 2012 to 2014||Employer: Wartsila North America||Title: General Manager of Field Service||Department:||Responsibilities: (After Service Management, Operations, Business Control, & HSE)
• Responsible for the day to day operations and entire profit and loss of the Service Group in the United States. Providing after service support for some 5000 service jobs per year in power plants, processing plants, and drill rigs.
• Service, Overhaul, Repair, and Commissioning of a wide variety of Diesel Power Systems, Propulsion Systems, Water Jetting Systems, and Water Separation Systems. Service included: diesel engines, auxiliary cooling systems, fuel and lubrication pumping systems, turbochargers, governors, water jet systems, seals and bearings, reduction gears, and control systems.
• Provided direct management of 17 division service managers and group coordinators with 159 service personnel including 5 service centers.
• Annual P & L Responsibility of $60M.
• Additional Responsibilities and Accomplishments:
• Managed all new installations and repair for diesel engines, thrusters, electronics, etc.
• Provided sales and business development consultation for service and new equipment sales.
• Responsible for the improvement and continued development of the group’s Resources, Operations, Workshops, Special Services, and Administration; all within the Company’s global framework.
• Improved the group’s deliveries with particular focus on Key Performance Indicators such as: improved safety culture awareness, field service staff utilization rates, margin deviation, time to invoice, customer satisfaction, team skill set development, process improvement, all delivery including quality control and scheduling.
• Built a Vendor Management Program, Project Management Minded Operations, Sales / Service cooperation campaign, and labor and operations cost controls.
• Provided key leadership with the Service Management Team including special attention given to profitability, efficiency, and increasing the Field Service group’s value proposition.
• Adopted the role of “Champion” for driving the following Field Service initiatives: Total Group Optimization, Staff Morale Improvement, High-Impact Operational Urgency, World Class Workshops and “War on Injuries”.
|Years: 2006 to 2012||Employer: Offshore Inland Marine & Oilfield Services||Title: Vice President||Department: Technical, Service, & Construction Management, Estimating, Operations, Projects & Contracting||Responsibilities: • Responsible for the company’s Technical, Operations, and Commercial Leader during a rapid company growth period.
• Service, Construction, Engineering, and Overhauls of a large volume mechanical and structural packages including compressor skid packages, chemical, oil, and gas pump packages, hydraulic power units, handling systems, mud pumping system overhauls, hydraulic motor rebuilds, and control systems
• Provided direct management of 4 department managers with more than 180 service and Construction personnel including 4 service and fabrication facilities.
• Annual P & L Responsibility of $40M
• Additional Responsibilities and Accomplishments:
• Responsible for managing and consulting to all aspects of the company including: profit and loss, operations, business development, estimating, contract negotiations, project coordination, and annual budgeting.
• Provided due diligence and process control during the acquisition of the company by a private equity group.
• The only Business Development driver and then Sales Team Leader in the company during its rapid growth period over six years (expanded the company’s annual gross revenue from about $6MUSD to over $40MUSD).
• Direct leadership in the change and development of the corporate culture from family owned to institutional owned.
• Lead geographic expansion including a new service company in Mexico and expansion into West Africa.
• Built and managed a large international technical proposal, sales, and contract team for servicing military, Navy, commercial marine, drilling, and offshore projects. Managed job planning, project management, scope development, engineering, and production.
• Provided development and management leadership of the companies engineering and project management efforts including the support of EPC projects on pulp and paper, chemical plants, drill rigs, floatels, and subsea construction projects.
• Provided leadership in a major acquisition and participated as a member of the Company’s Board of Directors.
|Years: 1997 to 2006||Employer: Southwinds, Inc.,||Title: President / General Manager||Department: Service and Parts Distribution, Sales, Operations, Development||Responsibilities: • Responsible for the funding, development, and operations of the company from foundation to mature operations.
• Parts and Service sales and distribution as well as mechanical and piping inspections and evaluation consultancy.
• Provided direct management of 6 department managers with about 145 employees (Full Time and Part Time).
• Annual P & L Responsibility of $18M
• Additional Responsibilities and Accomplishments:
• Business leader including all technical services, and distribution efforts
• Assembled a management team to manage the operations and sales of the distribution division throughout a 5 state region with over 160 employees, 26 offices, 400 wholesale clients, and dozens of distribution contracts.
• Lead the company’s operations, management, and arranged all financing, real estate negotiations, as well as all profit and loss responsibilities.
• Also provided sales, leadership, and motivational training throughout the U. S. for several years.
• Built and managed the technical service division which supported the technical consulting of more than 500 marine and oilfield construction projects including support of large numbers of legal and insurance claim related projects.
• Provided engineering review in planning and executing inclining experiments, sea trials, as well as FMEA and regulatory compliance.
• Provided brokering and project management for towing projects, heavy lift operations, equipment storage and shipping, draft and deadweight surveys, pre-purchase and stability inspections all while working with P& I Clubs, underwriters, Class, U. S. Coast Guard, and other third party verification companies.
• Worked with ISO, ISM, ISPS, OSHA, and IACS requirements and standards.
• Managed a team of experts / surveyors / vendors to handle the marine hull and machinery damage and overhauls, including vessel collisions, offshore mobilizations, insurance claims, pre-purchase and project management.
• Provided consulting and brokering support for construction project management, logistics, and quality inspection.
• Personally supported a number of critical legal cases as an expert witness: marine surveyor / marine engineer.
• Lead all business growth and eventual the sale of the business.
|Years: 1992 to 1997||Employer: American Bureau of Shipping||Title: System Classification Field Engineer and Inspector||Department: Projects, Repair, & New Construction||Responsibilities: • Engineering and quality control liaison between the General Contractor and project Owner.
• Responsible for reviewing drawings, verifying materials and welding procedures, inspecting structural assemblies, and confirming overall construction compliance and testing.
• Provided quality and standard compliance for new and repair construction projects as well as commercial certifications.
• Assisted the Government with project quality management and inspections.
• Worked with a variety of Military Specifications to help develop the genesis of the Industry Standards and Classification Rules, ISO, government port state requirements.
• Completed a number of extensive technical training courses and certifications.
|Years: 1990 to 1992||Employer: Newport News Shipbuilding||Title: Mechanical Systems Engineer - Auxiliary and Cooling Water Systems||Department:||Responsibilities: • Worked as system engineer during a multi-billion-dollar power plant overhaul.
• Responsibilities include equipment and pumping system sizing, sourcing, and placement.
• Supported the overhauls of several auxiliary systems with pressure drop and flow calculations, identification of material specifications, and material sourcing.
• Provided installation coordination for the all aspects of the systems’ fabrication, installation, and testing.
|Years: 1988 to 1992||Employer: M.E.B.A. Operations Engineering||Title: Contractor Operations Engineer– Steam and Diesel Power Plants||Department:||Responsibilities: • Responsible for engine room operations, watch standing, and report management.
• Provided plant preventive maintenance, multiple pumping operations, filter and strainer change outs, chemical analysis, as well as temperatures, pressures, and flows monitoring and management for both steam and diesel power plants.
• Contracted with 18 different shipping companies.
|Years: 1987 to 1989||Employer: Engineering Coop. - Seabulk Management & Lykes Bros. Steam Ship Co.||Title: Junior Engineer||Department: Internship, Diesel and Steam Power Plants - Operations and Maintenance||Responsibilities: • Worked full time between semesters for two 6-month periods called a Cadet (Junior Engineer).
• Responsible for daily maintenance to engines, pumps, valves and gauges, separator, heat exchanges, and controls.
• Supported the ship’s diesel engines and auxiliary equipment operations and maintenance.
• Assisted with several main and auxiliary diesel engines and turbocharger rebuild projects.
• Vessels transited throughout the U.S., Central America, Mediterranean, Middle East, and Asia.
|Years: 1989 to 1989||Employer: Charleston Naval Shipyard||Title: Designer||Department: Internship - Nuclear Submarine Repair||Responsibilities: • Completed an extensive safety and nuclear orientation training program.
• Worked as a draftsman and designer on several Nuclear Submarine Repair Projects during Dry Docking.
• Involved with technical redesign of the vessel’s power plant auxiliary systems during overhaul and upgrade.
• Responsible for pumping and piping system pressure drop / flow calculations, drawing development, and installation coordination.
|Years: 1986 to 1999||Agency: US Navy||Role: Reserve Officer||Description: Marine Engineering Liaison Officer|
|Years: 1991 to 1995||Agency: US Navy Supship||Role: Contractor||Description: Consultant for design and build of Navy warships|
|Years: 2013 to 2020||Agency: US Navy - Navsea||Role: Contractor||Description: Power and propulsion Systems for new Navy Ships|
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2012 to 2019||Country / Region: Singapore||Summary: Worked on Multiple Marine and Offshore Projects in Singapore during this period|
|Years: 2006 to 2012||Country / Region: Mexico||Summary: Ran and offshore Construction company with major facility in Mexico. I was the legal Country Sponsor.|
|Years: 2011 to 2018||Country / Region: Norway||Summary: Provided direct consultancy to customers across Norway in the Fishing and Offshore Space|
|Years: 2012 to 2016||Country / Region: China||Summary: Supported multiple projects throughout China|
|Associations / Societies|
|IADC, SNAME, Field Service USA, KP Alumni, SSTB, IADC, AWS, Propeller Club, GCSC, OMSA, PowerGen, PMI, Workboat Association|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|General Contractor Marine - AL - 2011 to Present
Project Management Solutions - 2016
Strategic Management Certification (MIT) - 2013
Lean Management Certification (Lean Institute) - 2015
3rd Assistant Engineer (USCG) License - 1990 to Present
Certified Welding Inspector (AWS) -1994
|Parallel Partners - Corporate Acquisition Research -2010
Rapp Marine - Expansion Planning and Market Research - 2014
TPC Wire - Market Research 2018
Naniwa Marine Pumps - Market Expansion Planning and Sales Consulting
AG&P - Market Expansion Planning and Sales Consulting
EGE - Market Expansion Business Plan Development and Sales Consulting
Gulf Copper - Sales and Market Strategic Consulting
Satellite International - Principal Marketing Consultant
University of Alabama - Developing a New Engineering Major
|Awards / Recognition|
|Senatorial Nomination to the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy - $250K Scholarship
No. 1 in MBA Graduating Class
Led No. 1 Sales Team 4 years in a row for National team
Employee of the Month (Wabtec with 30,000 Employees)
Awarded Largest Government Contract in Company history (Recognized by the White House)
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Inland River Industry Profile (48 Pages)
Shore Power in America (Market Review) (53 Pages)
U. S. Marine Power Overview (12 Pages)
Shipbuilding - Sales Training Program (150 Pages)
Intro to Marine Engineering (200 Pages)
|Expert Witness Experience|
Represented Shipowner with damaged vessel x2
Represented Underwriter in a ship purchase case
Represented a Ship Owner in a Shipbuilding dispute
Represented an individual in a personal injury case
Fields of Expertise
industrial marine, floating offshore structure, shipbuilding, electric power generation equipment, direct electric power generation, mechanical electric-power generator, marine accidents, marine construction, marine diesel engine, marine emission control regulation, marine engineering, marine equipment fabrication, metal component fabrication, Oil and Gas Technical Support, offshore accident, floating offshore structure design, offshore advisory, cargo vessel, cargo ship, electric power plant, US Navy, aluminum alloy welding, arc welding, electric welding, coated pipe, industrial pipeline, pipe flow, pipe fabrication, marine surveyor, cargo claim, insurance claims adjusting, college, commercial sales, building construction, small business management, business management, sales management, international development