Expert in Marine Regulatory Compliance, Maritime Safety and Risk Management, Quality Management, Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture
Expert is a mechanical engineer with more than 16 years maritime expertise and professional registration in the UK holding Class one certificate of competency (Chief Engineer Motor). He has an extensive background in the operation and maintenance management of marine power plants (steam and motor) with good knowledge of marine surveying, machinery failure investigation, risk and reliability assessment of Marine and Offshore Oil and Gas systems.
Expert is focused, versatile, dependable, multi-task oriented, flexible, confident and able to adapt effectively to challenging situations with proven success to manage multiple high-level responsibilities and tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
The consultant has managed a broad array of projects in the maritime Industry ranging from ship conversions and machinery Installations, to education and training. Projects Include:
- Maritime Safety Management System developments and audits
- Ship Inspections and evaluations
- Marine engineering economics and analysis
- Ship repair estimate
- Risk assessment and management
- Technical engineering assessment
- Propulsion and component integrity and failure
- evaluation and comparison of ship designs
Prior to becoming an independent consultant, he started a career in the merchant navy as an engineer cadet, he promoted in ranks from junior engineer to chief engineer in early 2010. After leaving the merchant navy in early 2012, he consulted with organization in marine engineering and surveying and started a career in Academia at the University of Trinidad and Tobago as Senior Maritime Lecturer - Engineering, lecturing marine engineering courses approved by the Maritime and Coast Guard Agency (MCA) and The institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology IMarEST UK, while at the university he served as a Member of the technical committee of the IMO Caribbean Regional Office for the review of the Small Commercial Vessels Code for vessels operating in the Caribbean Region. He was Course Author and developer for Lloyd's Maritime Academy Professional Diploma in Marine Engineering, Offshore Surveying, Oil, Gas, and Petrochemical Shipping modules.
In 2015, Expert undertook an Engineering Lecturer position at The Maritime College - State University of New York -- specifically, in the marine technology program. While at the college, he developed several STCW 2010 gap closing courses for professional mariners.
He recently facilitated, designed and delivered modules for Certificate in Ship Technology for Lloyd's Maritime Academy, this include modules on marine operation, maintenance management, management of risk and safety, ship logistics, and management of technology.
Degrees and Certification:
The consultant holds a B. Eng. in mechanical engineering, P.G Diploma in Naval Architecture and Offshore Engineering, and a MSc. in Engineering and Management from UK. He is a licensed chief marine engineer (unlimited motor), with a Chartered Engineer CEng title from the Engineering Council (UK) -- the most recognizable international engineering qualification.
Expert focuses on matters involving ship and commercial fleet machinery failure investigation, propulsion, design and integrity.Expert's maritime consultancy provides:
Risk Assessment, Project Management, Internal and external audits, Environmental assessments & studies, Quality, Health & Safety, & Environmental Management, Incidents investigation and root cause analysis.Provide technical support for your organization in designing plans, manuals, booklets, etc. in accordance to rules and international regulations.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: New York, New York - Yonkers, New York - Newark, New Jersey - Jersey City, New Jersey - Paterson, New Jersey - Elizabeth, New Jersey - Bridgeport, Connecticut - New Haven, Connecticut - Hartford, Connecticut - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|Year: 2014||Degree: MSc||Subject: Engineering and Management||Institution: University of Portsmouth|
|Year: 2013||Degree: P.G.Dip. Ing||Subject: Naval Architecture & Offshore Engineering||Institution: Aries Institute of Marine Technology|
|Year: 2010||Degree: Professional Certificate||Subject: Marine Engineering||Institution: Arab Academy for Science, Technology, and Maritime Transport|
|Year: 2006||Degree: Certificate||Subject: Marine Surveying ( Marine Engineering - Warranty Surveys )||Institution: LLoyd's Maritime Academy|
|Year: 2002||Degree: B.Eng||Subject: Mechanical Power Engineering||Institution: University of Tishreen|
|Years: 2016 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: CEO and Principal Surveyor||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert is the founder and manager of an independent maritime consulting firm established to provide the highest-quality maritime consultancy. The firm addresses risk and safety management, technical services, and ship surveying to the maritime industry.
• Advise clients management for matters involving ship machinery and structures, facilities and power plants, analyze quality issues and provide solution to fix them
• Perform receipt of new claim instructions and initiating claims handling procedures in the areas of hull and machinery, project cargo, and small vessels surveying.
• Provide professional technical reports to clients regarding the extent of damage, estimate costing of repairs, and root-cause resulting operational expenditure savings
• Facilitate, design and deliver modules for Certificate in Ship Technology for Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, this include modules on marine operation, maintenance management, management of risk and safety, ship logistics, management of technology.
|Years: 2015 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Lecturer||Department:||Responsibilities: • Develop engineering lesson plans that met varied student needs on Marine Technology - Small Vessels Operation -USCG 1600 tons Engineering Program (Tugboats, offshore vessels, and barges)
• Instruct marine engineering courses including Small Vessel Engineer I and II, Small Vessel Electrical
Machinery and Systems and Small Vessel Resource Management.
• Create innovative lecture techniques and teaching strategies for students.
• Develop and deliver U.S. Coast Guard approved STCW courses which included Engine Room Resource Management ERM, and Safety training to professional mariners
|Years: 2012 to 2016||Employer: Self Employed||Title: Expert / Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: • Performed installation and testing of equipment, and sea trials to adhere the specifications; ensure compliance with legislations and acts to health, safety and environment pollution prevention.
• Contributed to the reliability and integrity of mechanical equipment and structures by the application of reliability centered techniques and work execution within quality assurance systems
• Accountable for investigating and reporting on ship inspections, evaluation and audits on behalf of insurers, classification societies and Flagstates
• Supervised team for ship repair and drydocking projects, maintenance of ship machinery and equipment
|Years: 2012 to 2014||Employer: University of Trinidad and Tobago||Title: Senior Marine Engineering Lecturer||Department:||Responsibilities: He was responsible for the development and delivery of modules and lectures to diploma and B.Sc. students of marine engineering, providing technical consultancy and advisory to private and governmental sectors.
• Contributed to the intellectual life and debate of an academic organization by conducting research with industry, teaching Diploma and BSc students as per MCA and IMarEST standards – U.K.
• Lectured engineering courses including Ship Diesel Propulsion Plants, Marine Engineering & Auxiliary Systems, Maritime Law, Engineering Design (CAD/CAM), Marine Surveying, and Simulator based training
• Proven track record of success by preparing students to pass engineering license exams
• Led the engineering department to revalidate the Diploma program as per MCA new requirements for STCW 2010 (Manila amendment).
• Served as a Member of the technical committee of the IMO Caribbean Regional Office for the review of the Small Commercial Vessels Code for vessels operating in the Caribbean Region.
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Employer: Rayah Maritime Services||Title: Technical Superintendent||Department:||Responsibilities: • Managed a multi-national environment providing assurance for all maritime activities including evaluation of vessel condition and approval of repair specifications.
• Worked with authorities on the construction and repair of ships including providing management with technical advice in critical situations.
• Oversee budgets for assigned vessels, managing all engineering staff and projects.
• Succeeded in managing all activities related to sound ship management practices ensuring compliance with national and international legislation.
|Years: 2002 to 2012||Employer: Merchant Navy||Title: Chief Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert was chief engineer on board commercial ships, responsible for the safe running and maintenance of marine machinery.
• Certified chief marine engineer with 10 years sailing experience in ranks from fourth engineer to chief marine engineer, experience on board general cargo, VLCC, containerships, and bulk carriers.
• Managed operation and maintenance of propulsion systems and controls, safety, electrical components
• Effectively implemented safety & quality assurance system on board vessels to comply with company policies and ISM code.
• Well conversant in planning and scheduling effective maintenance for machinery and equipment.
|Years: 2002 to 2009||Employer: Merchant Navy||Title: Marine Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: He was responsible for the running and maintenance of merchant ships machinery in different capacities.|
|Years: 2014 to 2016||Employer: Lloyd's Maritime Academy||Title: Course Author and Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: He was a Course Author and Developer for Professional Diploma in Marine Engineering, Offshore
Surveying, and Diploma in Oil, Gas, and Petrochemical Shipping modules & learning outcomes.
● Author of modules and study materials for:
1. The Maritime Industry in Context
2. Marine Auxiliary and ancillary systems
3. Classification and regulatory control of offshore platforms
4. Offshore Surveying Practice and Effective report writing
5. The Oil, Gas and Petrochemical Market
6. Oil Tanker Design Specification
● Organize, prepare and revise (as needed) course materials.
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2010 to 2010||Country / Region: Turkey||Summary: Project management ( successfully supervising 2 Ro-Ro ships, and one general cargo ship conversion projects in Turkey and Lebanon ) Supervised day to day building activities onsite with fine tune and adjust the spec if needed to ensure optimal efficiency and oversaw machinery and equipment installation, testing and attend Sea Trials|
|Years: 2012 to 2012||Country / Region: Turkey||Summary: Supervising containership conversion to general cargo – representing owner|
|Years: 2014 to 2014||Country / Region: UAE||Summary: Development of planned maintenance system for offshore company fleet consists of 5 ocean going AHTS in Dubai – UAE (2 months project)|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: USA||Summary: N.D.T Ship Ballast Tanks Inspection|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: USA||Summary: Quality Management System for Ship Safety Equipment Service Provider|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: USA||Summary: Heavy Lifting and Transportation of Industrial cargo|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: USA||Summary: Bulk Carrier cargo damage claim|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: UK||Summary: Regulatory performance practices in Offshore Drilling|
|Years: 2015 to 2015||Country / Region: USA||Summary: Investment decisions in containerships|
|Associations / Societies|
|Member, Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology, IMarEST- U.K.
Member, Royal Institution of Naval architects, RINA – U.K.
Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers ASME
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Chartered Engineer - CEng
Chartered Marine Engineer - CMarEng
|Served as a Member of the technical committee of the IMO Caribbean Regional Office for the review of the Small Commercial Vessels Code for vessels operating in the Caribbean Region|
|Expert Witness Experience|
|Cosnultants carried out the following research studies:
- Feasibility study of ship wrecks removal in Gulf of Paria-Trinidad.
- Feasibility study of improving the reception facility of Point of Piere to meet IMO standards.
- Feasibility study of drydock and ship repair development in Trinidad
|We provide marine services to:
Providing services to:
Shipowners & Operators,
Maritime law firms,
P & I Clubs,
Marine Insurance Underwriters.
|Other Relevant Experience|
|Offshore Oil & Gas
Ports and Terminal