Expert in Packaging: All Types and Processes. Developments, Cost Savings, Complexity Reductions, Sourcing
Expert ID: 726976 United Kingdom
Her experience spans all forms of packaging:
Extensive experience of innovation, new product development, cost reduction & buying.
Enjoys establishing teams, building a team culture, defining & achieving a vision, managing & developing people.
Innovative - actively identifies & applies new technologies from leading edge industries & motivates organisations to adopt to deliver step-changes in NPD.
Proactively challenges the status quo, champions new ideas, motivates organisational change & implements novel approaches with a proven record of success.
Excellent project management, budgetary planning & control. Keen commercial awareness.
Selection & management of strategic global technologies & business partners.
A personable, focused team player used to working in a fast moving commercial environment, able to operate successfully at strategic & operational levels.
A graduate, MBA & Member of the Institute of Packaging qualified Senior Manager.
Specialist hands-on knowledge of packaging industry & all packaging & print materials & processes.
Excellent network of contacts.
Sainsbury's Supermarkets Limited – total project management of initial 2,100 lines for TU homeware range. Defined processes & priorities to successfully introduce within 3 months before Sainsbury’s department set up.Tesco - established packaging & identification rules for suppliers to enable right product from depot to right store shelf in the right time. Established merchandising principles for Health & Beauty. Delivered packaging costs for componentry to assess format, weight reduction, recycled content strategies.
Marks & Spencer & Kettle Produce – referred by M&S to develop many fresh food packaging projects.
Masterfoods - developed retort drinks bottles for nutritional drinks. CAD design, prototypes & visualisations. Mars – design & delivery of enhanced convenience & performance drinks straw / spoon for thick shakes.William Grant & Sons - development of NPD process & packaging development guidelines & checklists.
|Year: 1994||Degree: MBA||Subject: Production Systems Design||Institution: Aston Business School|
|Year: 1986||Degree: BSC (Hons)||Subject: Biochemistry & Applied Molecular Biology||Institution: University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology|
|Years: 2002 to 2009||Employer: AVA packaging solutions Ltd||Title: Managing Director||Department: Owner||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1999 to 2002||Employer: Sara Lee Household & Body Care||Title: Head||Department: Packaging Development||Responsibilities: Reporting to the Marketing Director & leading a department of 7 within the UK’s top branded household & body care manufacturer. UK sales of £125 million with UK packaging spend of £12 million.
• Focused unclear development approach into 2 clear streams: innovation & implementation. Created & managed a highly productive & respected innovation/design department & an implementation function by restructuring & recruitment. Identified vision, strategies & responsibilities of new teams & led team building. Developed direct reports.
• Selected European strategic business partners for plastic injection, injection-stretch blow & blow moulding.
• Introduced several new technologies on live projects to deliver £300k cost savings, reduce lead-times typically by 10+ weeks & minimise project risk.
• Planned & controlled a fixed cost budget of £300k, delivering 9.5% savings against a target of 2%. Successful capital expenditure requests of £20k.
• Compressed NPD lead-times by identifying & applying new technologies, suppliers & processes. Introduced an industry-unique in-house design facility using 3D Computer Aided Design (CAD). Evaluated all rapid prototyping & tooling techniques & presented strategy to Executive Committee & R&D VP.
• Created a state-of-the-art Apple Mac studio & digital image management system to control all graphics & printed materials delivering £375k savings in 2 years. Evaluated 3rd party repro suppliers v in-house facility. Introduced a new repro supplier to improve quality & service at 20% lower cost, £25k savings.
• Active in cross-company Consumer Insight Innovation & Achieving Performance Excellence teams.
• Managed & delivered 50+ UK & international developments across multiple categories on ambitious timescales & within budget.
• Designed & planned a dedicated packaging design/development room, specified furniture, furnishings, CAD hard & software & negotiated costs. Managed the process with directors & suppliers.
• Led department to achieve 1 WordStar, 4 Starpack & 2 Technical Innovation Awards. Granted world-wide patent for innovative cost saving development. Pushed boundaries of packaging manufacturing
|Years: 1996 to 1999||Employer: Safeway Stores Plc||Title: Category Packaging Mngr; Packaging Proj Mngr||Department: Packaging||Responsibilities: Responsible for delicatessen, dairy, bakery, grocery, produce, clothing, beers, wines & spirits. UK sales of £9.5 billion & corporate packaging spend of £350 million.
• Delivered £3 million cost savings by buying, supplier selection & focusing on product cost & pioneered a new approach to negotiation. Gained support & changed processes.
• Conducted audits & tenders to select approved suppliers - consolidated from 200 to 60 key partners.
• Key management member in establishing the packaging team & recruitment/training of staff.
• Managed 30k own-brand products accounting for 46% of total sales by creating a focused department to control & develop all aspects of packaging.
• Introduced 1,500 lines annually - specifying the packaging, negotiating price & allocating the business.
• Leadership of in-house packaging development to enhance innovation, commercial benefits & swift project implementation. Delivered several new innovations on time & won Starpack Award.
• Rationalised variation & complexity to optimise specifications enabling economies of scale.
• Introduced a system for full involvement in the NPD process with a ‘fast-track’ route to cut time & complexity.
• Championed development of block bottom bag stand up format for rice with tamper evident reclose label & easy peel open, no-tear film development to win a Starpack Award. Now category norm for rice,
pastas & dry fruits.
Fields of Expertise
consumer product design, consumer product packaging, food package, dairy product package, frozen food package, plastic food package, extended shelf-life packaging material, flexible package, dairy product packaging material, package, cosmetic product package, household appliance packaging process, household product packaging process, plastic component design, plastic package, rigid plastic package, multi-layered packaging material, gas flush packaging, foil laminate, controlled environmental packaging, boil-in-bag package, bulk packaging material, gas transmission, contract manufacturing, two-part package, food packaging material, bag-in-box packaging process, glass packaging material, laminated plastic, shrink wrap, amorphous plastic, extrusion laminating, mono-material package, moisture-resistant packaging, plastics printing, injection molded plastic, permeable packaging material, plastic wrap, corrugated packaging material, plastic closure, safety packaging, primary packaging, secondary packaging, aerosol packaging, flexible coating material, light bulb packaging, lamp packaging, acetate film, biaxially oriented film, recyclable packaging material, shrink wrapping, ointment packaging, polyolefin film, dairy product packaging process, thermoform plastic, co-packer control, plastic color concentrate, plastic bottle, folding carton, microwave food package, computer-aided electronic packaging design, flexible packaging printing, flexible packaging material production, flexible packaging laminate, flexible packaging film, degradable plastic, electrostatic protective package, protective packaging material, cosmetic industry, antistatic plastic, tamper-evident package, active packaging material, low-acid food aseptic processing, rigid packaging material, flexible packaging material, plastic container, glass container, foam-in-place, moisture-barrier packaging process, modified atmosphere packaging, static-shielding packaging material, environmentally friendly packaging material, blister packaging process, foil packaging material, ceramic packaging material, plastic packaging material, plastic material, plastic film, food packaging plastic, high-temperature plastic, wrapping material, dispensing package, child-resistant packaging, bagging material, packaging material, recycled plastic, food, thermoformed package, structural plastic, repackaging, polyethylene, palletizing, packaging paper, packaging process, package testing, oriented polymer film, liquid packaging process, heat-shrinkable plastic, greaseproof paper, food packaging process, cushioning material, can (container), boxboard, automotive plastic, aseptic packaging process