Expert in Pediatric Pulmonology
Expert's consultantships include the following:
o PARI Respiratory Equipment, 2016
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Mental Health Standing Committee, 2016-
o AbbVie, Inc., 2015
o Co-chair, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Mental Health Taskforce, 2014-2015
o Chair, Data Safety Monitoring Committee for Benralizumab Asthma Program, Astra-Zeneca UK Ltd, 2014-.
o Vertex, Inc. 2013-2015
o Celtaxsys, Inc. 2012-2013
o Protocol reviewer, Cochrane Cystic Fibrosis and Genetic Disorders Group, 2011-present
o Genentech, Inc. 2010 – 2013.
o Gilead, Inc. 2010 – 2013.
o Expert Delphi Panel Member (representing the American Thoracic Society) for AHRQ-funded study entitled, “Developing Quality Measures to Assess Pediatric Inpatient Respiratory Care” (PI, Rita Mangione-Smith, University of Washington), 2010.
o National Spina Bifida Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, 2009 – 2016.
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Expert Panel on Pulmonary Complications, 2008 – 2009.
o Sciele Pharma, Inc., 2007 – 2008
o Pediatric IBD Research Network Planning Committee, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, 2006 – 2007.
o Development of Registry and Change Strategies to Improve Care for People with Spina Bifida, Spina Bifida Association, 2006 – 2008.
o Advisory Panel, RSV University National Educational Initiative, Peerpoint Medical Educational Institute, LLC., 2005 – 2007.
o North American Scientific Advisory Group, Epidemiologic Study of Cystic Fibrosis, 2004 -2016.
o American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Perioperative Sleep Apnea, 2004 -2005
o Victory Junction Gang Camp, Randleman, NC, 2002 – 2003
o Methodologist, American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Pediatric Pulmonology, Subcommittee on Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome, 2002 – 2003.
o United Health Services Regional Trauma Program, 1990 – 1992
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Virginia Beach, Virginia - Norfolk, Virginia - Chesapeake, Virginia - Richmond, Virginia - Newport News, Virginia - Hampton, Virginia - Alexandria, Virginia - Portsmouth, Virginia - Lynchburg, Virginia - Suffolk, Virginia
|Year: 1996||Degree: Clinical Fellowship||Subject: Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine||Institution: University of North Carolina Hospitals|
|Year: 1996||Degree: Master's in Public Health (MPH)||Subject: Epidemiology||Institution: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill|
|Year: 1978||Degree: Residency||Subject: Pediatrics||Institution: St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA|
|Year: 1975||Degree: MD||Subject: Medicine||Institution: State University of New York at Buffalo|
|Year: 1971||Degree: BA (with Distinction)||Subject: Psychology||Institution: University of Rochester|
|Years: 2006 to 2013||Employer: Emory University Cystic Fibrosis Center||Title: Director||Department:||Responsibilities: Expert directed the center for several years.|
|Years: 2006 to 2013||Employer: Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics||Title: Associate Chief||Department: Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Cystic Fibrosis and Sleep||Responsibilities: Expert was Associate Chief for several years.|
|Years: 2010 to 2013||Employer: Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Cystic Fibrosis Program||Title: Medical Director||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2010 to 2013||Employer: Emory+Children’s Center for Cystic Fibrosis Research||Title: Co-director||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2008 to 2011||Employer: Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Egleston Campus||Title: Section Chief||Department: Pulmonary Medicine||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 2003 to 2006||Employer: Rhode Island Hospital||Title: Co-director||Department: Cystic Fibrosis Clinic||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1996 to 2003||Employer: Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center||Title: Director||Department: Cystic Fibrosis Clinic||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1989 to 1992||Employer: United Health Services, Binghamton, NY||Title: Chair||Department: Pediatrics||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1987 to 1988||Employer: United Health Services, Binghamton, NY||Title: Acting Director||Department: Pediatric Education||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1987 to 1988||Employer: Binghamton Clinical Campus, SUNY Health Science Center-Syracuse||Title: Interim Coordinator||Department: Pediatrics||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1983 to 1992||Employer: Binghamton Clinical Campus, SUNY Health Science Center-Syracuse||Title: Associate Coordinator||Department: Pediatrics||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1983 to 1992||Employer: United Health Services, Binghamton, NY||Title: Associate Director||Department: Pediatric Education||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1983 to 1992||Employer: United Health Services, Binghamton, NY||Title: Associate Director||Department: Cystic Fibrosis Clinic||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1981 to 1992||Employer: Southern Tier Pediatrics (Private Practice)||Title: Founding Partner and Director||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1990 to 1990||Employer: APP Neonatal Resuscitation Program||Title: Trainer||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Years: 1980 to 1981||Employer: Dimock Street Health Center, Beth Israel Medical Center, Boston, MA||Title: Staff Pediatrician||Department:||Responsibilities:|
|Associations / Societies|
|• American Pediatric Society, 2017 - present
• American Thoracic Society, Assemblies on Pediatrics and Behavioral Science, 1996 - present
o Quality Improvement Committee, 2016-
o Tobacco Action Committee, 2014-2015
o Pediatric Assembly Planning Committee, 2005 - 2013
o Chair, Pediatric Program Committee, 2006 - 2007
o Vice-chair, Pediatric Program Committee, 2005 – 2006
• American College of Chest Physicians, 1996 – 2013
• American Academy of Pediatrics, 1983 - present
o Sections on Epidemiology and Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine, 1993 – present
• Steering Committee, Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine, 2005-present
• Chair, 2008 – 2012
• Vice chair and chair-elect, 2006 – 2007
o Measurement Subcommittee of the AAP Steering Committee on Quality Improvement and Management, 2006 -2013.
• Faculty 1000 Medicine, 2004 – 2006, 2010 – 2014
• Rhode Island Pediatric Society, 2003 – 2006
• Academy Health, 2003 – 2006
• Forsyth County Asthma Coalition, 2002 – 2006
• Society for Pediatric Epidemiologic Research, 2000 – 2006
• North Carolina Pediatric Society, 1996 – 2003
• American Public Health Association, 1996 – 2001
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Licensure: Virginia: National Board of Medical Examiners (1976)
• American Board of Pediatrics, General Pediatrics – 1980 (indefinite)
• American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board in Pulmonology - 1996 (certification contingent upon meeting MOC requirements – current MOC cycle 11/01/2015-12/17/2020)
• Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
• HCA VA Health System
o Tulane University, New Orleans, LA, 2011
o Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, 2009
o Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2005.
o Arkansas Children’s Hospital, Little Rock, AR, 2005.
o Baylor University, Houston, TX, 2005.
o University of California-Davis, Davis, CA, 2005.
• Editorial Board Positions
o Associate Editor, Pediatric Pulmonology, Asthma, and Sleep Medicine: A Manual for Primary Care.
o Editor, Minisymposium on Clinical Research Methodology, Paediatric Respiratory Reviews, Volume 14, issue 3, September 2013.
o Associate Editor, Manual of Pediatric Pulmonology (2011) American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village, IL. ISBN 9781581104929.
o Editor, American Academy of Pediatrics' Education in Quality Improvement for Pediatric Practice (eQIPP) module entitled “Nutritional Assessment for the Healthy and Chronically Ill Child”, 2005 – 2008.
o Medical Editor and Weekly Columnist, Bay State Banner, Roxbury, MA, 1980 – 1981.
• Journal Refereeing
o Chronic Illness, 2014
o Cochrane Cystic Fibrosis & Genetic Disorders Group, 2011-present
o British Medical Journal (BMJ), 2011-present
o AHRQ Effective Health Care Program, 2010 – present
o Thorax, 2005 - present
o Pediatric Asthma, Allergy & Immunology, 2005 – present
o Sleep Medicine, 2005
o Journal of Pediatrics, 2003 – present
o Journal of Intensive Care, 2003
o American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2003 – present
o Ambulatory Pediatrics, 2002
o Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 2002
o Pediatric Research, 2001 – present
o Journal of Respiratory Diseases, 2000 – present
o Pediatrics, 2000 – present
o Canadian Respiratory Journal, 1997
o Chest, 1997 – present
• Extra Mural Grant Reviewing
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Mental Health Coordinator RFA Review Committee, co-chair, 2016
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Mental Health Coordinator RFA Review Committee, co-chair, 2015
o Wellbeing of Women, London, UK, 2014
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Quality Improvement RFA Review Committee, Co-Chair, 2013
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Screening Improvement Program for Optimizing the Diagnosis of Infants RFA Review Committee, 2013
o Health Research Board of Ireland, 2012
o Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity, 2011
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Screening Improvement Program for Optimizing the Diagnosis of Infants RFA Review Committee, 2011
o Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Accelerating the Rate of Improvement in CF Care RFA Review Committee, 2011
o Jewish Hospital Foundation, Louisville, KY, 2002.
• Organizing Roles in Scientific Meetings
a. Administrative positions:
• National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality annual conference abstract review committee 2007
• American Thoracic Society Pediatric Program Committee, 2001 - 2007
o Chair, American Thoracic Society International Conference (ATS2007) Pediatric Program Committee, 2006 – 2007
o Vice-chair, ATS2006 Pediatric Program Committee, 2005 - 2006
• North American Cystic Fibrosis (NACF) conference Abstract review committee, 2000-2005
o Chair, 19th NACF conference epidemiology abstract review committee, 2005
|Awards / Recognition|
|• Elected to American Pediatric Society, 2017
• Listed in “Richmond’s Best Docs”, 2014-2016
• Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Outstanding Partnership Award, 2011
• Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Quality Improvement Award, 2010
• Elected to the “Best Doctors in America” Registry, 2005 – 2016
• Listed in “Best Doctors in North Carolina”, 2004
• Research Merit Award, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1996
• Medical Student Teaching Award, SUNY-HSC Clinical Campus at Binghamton, 1988
• New York State Scholar Incentive Award in Medicine, 1971 – 1975
• Phi Beta Kappa, 1971
• New York State Regents Scholarship, 1967 – 1971
• National Merit Scholarship Finalist, 1967.
Sessions as Chair: Numerous
|Medical / Professional|
|Academic Appointment History:
• Chief, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Virginia Commonwealth University; Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center; Director, UCAN Community Asthma Program; Affiliate Graduate Faculty Member; Professor (with Tenure), March 1, 2013-present.
• Associate Chief, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, Cystic Fibrosis and Sleep; Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center, Associate Professor of Pediatrics (Tenure Eligible), Emory University School of Medicine, October 1, 2006 – February 1, 2013.
o Joint faculty appointment in the Department of Environmental Health, Rollins School of Public Health, 2010-2013.
o Co-director, Emory+Children’s Center for Cystic Fibrosis Research, 2010 – 2013
o Steering Committee, Emory+Children’s Center for Outcomes Research and Public Health, 2011-2013.
• Co-Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center; Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Tenure Eligible), Brown University Medical School, 2003 – 2006.
• Director, Cystic Fibrosis Center; Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Tenure Eligible), Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 1996 – 2003.
o Joint faculty appointment in the Division of Social Sciences and Health Policy, Department of Public Health Sciences, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 2000 – 2003
• Instructor in Pediatrics, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 1993-1996
• Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics, SUNY Health Science Center, Syracuse, 1988-1993.
• Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, SUNY Health Science Center-Syracuse, 1981 – 1987.
• Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, 1980 – 1981.
• Clinical Instructor in Pediatrics, Temple University Medical School, 1978 – 1979.
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has given a large number of invited extramural presentations at the international, national, regional and local levels. He has also developed a handful of educational innovations, core curricula, short courses and lectures. He has 52 papers published in peer-reviewed journals; 14 corporate-authorship publications or multi-center trials; 12 editorials, reviews, commentaries or invited published papers in peer-reviewed journals; 17 invited reviews; and 82 published abstracts or proceedings. He has co-authored one book and authored or co-authored 5 book chapters.|