Expert in Process and Product Development; From R&D through Design, to Manufacturing
Expert ID: 727426 New York, USA
Expert led development of new products that were acquired by major corporations, with two in multimillion-dollar deals. He believes strongly in the teams he builds and relies upon effective management of teams to accomplish product development objectives. He has developed new products, analyzed new processes and products for risk, acquired external technology, established new processes for manufacturing, and implemented a Stage-Gate process to effectively manage the broad aspects of launching new products; he has a detailed understanding of the entire commercialization process.
He has demonstrated the ability to predict true capabilities and key challenges of emerging technologies. He also has a strong understanding of the business of technology and product development, from market conditions and end-customer wants and needs to product life cycles. Contributing to his abilities is knowledge in many physical, chemical, and engineering disciplines, allowing him to make convincing decisions. Expert is a technologist, yet focuses on the needs of the market to drive product development.
Some examples in product and process development include:
High Temperature Metal-Vapor Materials Production
Commercialize high-temperature chemical process for production of a broad range of metals and ceramics, including tantalum for high- performance capacitors and aluminum for solid propellants.
Low Pressure Drop – High Surface Area Water and Gas Filtration Media
Commercialize foamed alumina-silica based ceramic materials for biological and adsorptive filtration.
Carbon Nanotube Production and Infrared Obscurants
Commercialize combustion process to produce low-cost multi-walled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs) for use in composites, electronics, and other applications.
Consumer Lawn & Garden Product (Develop lawn and garden product per customer objectives for consumer application);
Confectionery Product (Develop confectionery product for consumer application);
Toy Product (Develop toys to support product line);
Environmentally Safe Route to Destruction of Chlorinated Fluoro-Carbons (CFCs);
Biological Based Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Control Systems;
Hollow Metal Core Golf Ball (Develop and commercialize a new design concept in the industry (hollow metal core) that can lead to significant increase in moment of inertia (MOI) of a golf ball and less hook/slice);
Electronics embedded golf ball for swing data on course;
Virtual Data Entry System for Portable Electronic Devices.
Expert has had top-level responsibility for managing several patent portfolios, including a portfolio of over 160 diverse patents and applications. While managing this large portfolio, Expert led due diligence related to the Intellectual property aspects of initial public offering (IPO).
As part of the portfolio management, Expert identified target protection areas and developed IP to position company for future developments. He worked with marketing groups to identify and secure Trademarks. He managed licensees, overseeing technical progress as well as enforcing all terms of a license agreement.
In addition to experience managing intellectual property and serving as expert witness, Expert currently holds 20 issued U.S. Patents and has 10 other patents pending. As a product designer with a deep intellectual property background, Expert is especially proficient at designing products to compete in a market with competitive patents. As an inventor, Expert routinely prosecutes his own applications.
Expert is currently providing consulting services to several companies including: (1) specialty firm developing carbon sequestration technology; (2) specialty firm working on energy process improvement; (3) manufacturing company launching sporting goods product; (4) start-up company pursuing consumer retail market; and (5) start-up company with medical related products
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Buffalo, New York - Rochester, New York - Niagara Falls, New York - Erie, Pennsylvania
|Year: 1995||Degree: MS||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: Washington University in St. Louis|
|Year: 1993||Degree: BS||Subject: Mechanical Engineering||Institution: Washington University in St. Louis|
|Years: 1995 to 1996||Employer: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)||Title: Research & Development Contractor||Department:||Responsibilities: Research Engineer in the Process Measurements Group, Chemical Science and Technology Laboratory.
Developed and patented a chemical process for greater than 99.9% destruction of halogenated compounds, including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
|Years: 1996 to 1998||Employer: National Environmental Technologies, Inc. (NET)||Title: Senior Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: Led team to manufacture cost-effective, portable pilot testing system for biological treatment of VOCs that allows rapid assembly and field connections, as well as quick break-down:
- Managed installation of pilot systems at three chemical manufacturing facilities in the U.S.;
- Responsible for determining suitability of control processes for each manufacturing site.
Site Manager for project to reduce air emissions from post-paper refinery.
- Managed installation of high air/liquid flow ratio venturi filtration pilot system;
- Design and oversight of modifications to venturi system to allow >95% capture of key emissions;
Site Manager for recovery/reuse of waste fiber at a 2500 ton/day pulp and paper mill in South Carolina.
|Years: 1997 to 2002||Employer: AP Materials, Inc. (APM)||Title: VP Operations||Department:||Responsibilities: Co-founded and led operations at AP Materials, Inc.:
- Developed and patented a high-temperature chemical process for production of stable metal and ceramic particles that was the foundation of the company;
- Developed nano-structured tantalum powders for high performance capacitor applications;
- Company acquired in 2008 by Cabot Corp., a Fortune 1000 Company, in a multi-million dollar deal.
|Years: 2003 to 2009||Employer: NanoDynamics, Inc.||Title: Director of Product Development||Department:||Responsibilities: Managed internal and external functions related to product commercialization of a variety of products and technologies.
Led the acquisition and development of a process to produce Carbon Nanotubes (CNTs):
- Project Manager for both commercial and military contracts: received $1M funding from Japanese partner and $1M in contracts from U.S. Army for development programs;
- Designed and managed construction of pilot CNT production and catalyst support systems.
Led product development and manufacturing of a hollow-core golf ball:
- Led the development and implementation of a multi-stage manufacturing process for high-rate production of metal golf ball cores; Worked with quality team to ensure targets met;
- Achieved USGA certification after 18-month negotiation with USGA;
- Received national press coverage from sources including The Wall Street Journal, CBS Evening News, USA Today, The Buffalo News, Design News, among others.
Project Manager for Air Force funded program for improved tantalum warhead materials. Successfully produced improved microstructures not otherwise attainable by Air Force.
Project Manager for development of water filtration products based on high surface nanosize ceramics.
- Installed two pilot testing systems in Mexico targeting heavy metals and hydrogen sulfide;
- Residential and commercial installations of filters for treatment of ammonia, nitrate, and VOCs.
Top-level responsibility for managing patent portfolio of over 160 diverse patents and applications.
Led due diligence related to IP aspects of initial public offering (IPO).
Identified target protection areas and developed IP to position company for future developments.
Directed development of tri-band optical sensors that were coupled with an enzyme-based instrument for detection of hazardous chemicals.
|Years: 2009 to 2018||Employer: Alfie Technology Corp.||Title: VP & CTO||Department:||Responsibilities: Co-Founder
- Built tech-development company from 0 to $500k+ revenue in 24 months with focus on engineering, product & process development, and engaging promising new ventures
- Provide technical and product development services to various clients in a broad range of markets
- Provide design and analysis for consumer, industrial, and medical products and processes
- Provide risk, standards, & technical expertise for medical device essential performance features
- Provide assessment for failure modes at the part, component, and system levels
- Lead engineering efforts to implement risk control into medical device design
|Years: 1995 to 1997||Agency: Department of Commerce, NIST||Role: Research and Development Contractor||Description: Research Engineer in the Process Measurements Group, Chemical Science and Technology Laboratory.Developed and patented a chemical process for greater than 99.9% destruction of halogenated compounds, including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).|
|Licenses / Certifications|
|Expert is a Licensed Professional Engineer (PE, P.E.) currently registered in the state of Texas and has earned a Bachelors and Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Washington University in Saint Louis, with his PE testing taken in the Chemical Engineering discipline.|
|Industrial Advisory Board for the Biomimetic MicroElectronic Systems Eng. Res. Center; Board of Directors|
|Awards / Recognition|
|NASA Tech Briefs’ NanoTech 50 Innovator of the Year; Fully Funded National Science Foundation Graduate Scholar, Washington University; Lohman Scholar, Washington University
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|He has written 50 detailed reports on engineering items, has been published in peer-reviewed journals, and, in addition, currently holds 20 issued U.S. Patents with 10 additional patents pending.|
|Expert Witness Experience|
| Expert has expert witness experience for patent litigation.
• Served as expert witness for defense team in large patent litigation case involving 9 patents and nearly 100 claims
• Served as expert witness to provide analysis, reporting, and opinions of invalidity based on patents, other literature, and physical specimens
• Identified, acquired, and performed disassembly on obscure literature and physical specimens as part of analysis of obviousness/ anticipation of in-suit claims
• Part of multi-expert team with individual responsibly for analysis, reporting, and opinions on 6 patents and dozens of claims
• Developed accepted strategies for inclusion of equipment and components lying outside the field of suit into the pool of prior art based on patent examiner search histories for related cases
• Analyzed products for applicability of in-suit claims (infringement/non-infringement analysis)
• Analyzed in-suit claims for Anticipation under 35 U.S.C. § 102, Obviousness under 35 U.S.C. § 103, Indefiniteness under 35 U.S.C. § 112(¶2), and Written Description and Enablement, 35 U.S.C. § 112(¶1),
• Analyzed portfolio for obviousness type double patenting
• Prepared numerous reports including 100s of pages of court-filed reports
Fields of Expertise
technology commercialization, electromechanical product development, expert witness, patent, intellectual property, food product development, design for cost, corporate strategic planning, new product design, chemical manufacturing technology, material product development, design for manufacturability