Expert in R&D Chemist experienced in epoxies, amines, benzoxazines, cyanate esters, bismaleimides, polyimides
He has worked at the same company for 28 years while the companies name changed from Ciba-Geigy, to Ciba Specialty Chemicals, to Vantico, and finally Huntsman Corporation.
He has also worked in the electronics industry manufacturing high end Printed Circuit Boards made made not only from epoxy, but also high temperature boards made from BMI and cyanate esters. Expert also work in the aerospace electronics industry with applications for civilian and military aviation uses. He developed expertise in chemistry, plating, photoimaging, wet PWB processes, soldering, and other chemical processes.
Conducted many treater trials at PWB laminator customers how to use Kerimid products in Manufacturing. Time period 1988 thru 1993Visited several pultrusion customers to convert process from vinyl ester to epoxy product. 2006 thru 2009.Made many company product introductions through out my career at customers. Taught them about epoxy, amines, benzoxazines, bismaleimides, cyanate esters, and polyimides.Worked with the company's manufacturing in pilot plant and the main production facility scaling up products for customers. Mostly Kerimid type products and epoxies.
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Houston, Texas - Pasadena, Texas - Beaumont, Texas - College Station, Texas - Baytown, Texas - Bryan, Texas - Sugar Land, Texas - Port Arthur, Texas - Galveston, Texas - Missouri City, Texas
|Year: 1984||Degree: BS Chemistry||Subject: Chemistry||Institution:|
|Years: 2003 to 2014||Employer: Huntsman||Title: Lab Manager||Department: Huntsman Advanced Mterial||Responsibilities: Composites laboratory manager with responsibility for new product development and technical service. Major projects were:
• Laboratory relocation from Brewster NY to The Woodlands Texas 2004 – 2006.
• Benzoxazine chemistry development.
• Establishment of a new composite application laboratory. 2010 – 2013
• Product qualification for new and expanded manufacturing capacity for the aerospace industry.
• Successful development of high temperature resin systems for composite bipolar plated for fuel cells under the Department of Energy grant. [ Program Manager for Huntsman]
• Epoxy resin system for the carbon fiber composite cable application in the energy field.
* Developed new resin system for low Dk applications in electronics
|Years: 2001 to 2003||Employer: Vantico Corporation||Title: Senior Staff Scientist||Department:||Responsibilities: R&D work on benzoxazines, bismaleimides, epoxies, and cyanate esters for applications such as
• Low Dk and Df products for the electronics industry
• Halogen free resin systems for PWB applications.
• Manufacturing process improvements in benzoxazines and Bismaleimides
• Investigating new backbones for benzoxazines.
• Cost reduction n manufacturing FR4 epoxies.
|Years: 1995 to 2001||Employer: Ciba Specilty Chemical Corporation||Title: Staff Scientist||Department: Advanced Materials Division||Responsibilities: R&D, Technical Service, and process development. Major projects were:
• Process Development with the production transfer of the Kerimid products from California to McIntosh, Alabama
• Replace Kerimid bismaleimide resin 601 product with a 2nd generation bismaleimide material called Kerimid 701.
• Began the development work on the benzoxazine chemistry for application in electronics, composites, and other industrial applications.
|Years: 1986 to 1995||Employer: Ciba-Geigy Corporation||Title: Scintist||Department: Advanced Materials Division||Responsibilities: R&D and Technical service for the Electronics group. He provide technical support for :
• Probimer products [soldermask for Printed Wiring Boards]
• Laminating resin systems epoxy and Bismaleimide[for Printed Wiing Boards applications]
Key research projects included :
• Developing the Matrimid 5292 Bismaleimide chemistry to a solvent type system that could be used by PWB Laminators to make Copper clad fiberglass composites for fabricating high temperature PWB's.
• Developing materials for Low Dk/Df materials to compete with cyanate esters in electronics.
• Developing high Tg epoxy products for PWB applications.
|Years: 1985 to 1986||Employer: Gull Airborne||Title: Chemical Engineer||Department:||Responsibilities: He was responsible for all chemical operations in the plant, that was producing electronic components for aerospace applications. Operations included tin/lead soldering by vapor phase reflow,wave soldering, IR Soldering, hand soldering. Other chemical operations he was responsible for included paint department, solvent recovery, conformal coating, and waste disposal. He established a new chemical safety program wih MSDS filing and ordering control of chemical purchases. He also started an awareness program of chemical hazards for compay personnel, and specified the selection of proper PPE and engineering controls for the assembly operations for printed circuit boards.|
|Years: 1980 to 1985||Employer: Kollmorgen Corporation||Title: Senior Engineer||Department: Multiwire Division||Responsibilities: He started work on new experimental copper electroplating processes for the production of Multiwire printed circuit boards. He then moved to the advanced Manufacturing Group which was the R&D and protyping new manufacturing processes for the manufacture of advanced printed wiring boards. he became an expert in other areas of printed wiring boards. Key accomplishments were ;
1. Converting from solvent based photo-imaging systems to aqueous based chemistry.
2. Developed the electroplating process for copper, tin/lead, and gold. Work also included putting electroless copper and tin plating processes.
3. Started up red and black oxide processes for copper laminates.
4. Established copper etching for PWB's and the copper recovery and waste treatment.
5. Installed the new Vapor Phase Reflow Processes at the AMG.
|Years||Country / Region||Summary|
|Years: 2009 to 2009||Country / Region: China||Summary: Visits to manufacturing sites for Huntsman and technical visits to customers to support the China sales organization. Also to visit labs for technical exchange|
|Years: 2007 to 2007||Country / Region: Korea||Summary: Met with several PWB laminators in Korea with the Huntsman distributor. Also to support the new benoxazine products from Huntsman|
|Years: 2011 to 2011||Country / Region: Switzerland||Summary: Global technical conference in Basel Switzerland. Visited Germany and France to see Huntsman sites and to visit with Huntsman customers|
|Years: 1999 to 1999||Country / Region: Switzerland||Summary: Global technical conference in Basel Switzerland. Received R&D award from company for work on the patented product Kerimid 701. Visited Germany and France to see Huntsman sites and to visit with Huntsman customers|
|Years: 1994 to 1994||Country / Region:||Summary: Visited Ciba-Geigy sitefor R&D trial on Kerimid products on prepreg treater. Also visited pilot plant to pass along technology for making Kerimid 8292 products.|
|Associations / Societies|
|Member of SAMPE [Society for the Advancement of Materials, Processes, and Engineering
Member of the IPC Association of Connecting Electronics Industries
|Awards / Recognition|
|Ciba Specialty Chemicals R&D Award for developing the Kerimid products. Kerimid products were a very good commercial success|
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert has 12 publications and 9 patents.|
|Training / Seminars|
|1. Benzoxaznes training courses for formulating thermosetting resin applications for all types.
2. Introduction to Bismaleimide/polyimde Chemistry from CibaGeigy and Ciba-Specialty Chemicals.
3. Introduction to Huntsman products includes epoxies, epoxy curing agents, additives, cyanate esters, polyimides, bismaleimides, benzoxzines, and polyurethanes.
|1. Built Huntsman new R&D Composite facility in the Woodlands Texas. Opened in 2013. Installed new prepreg treater, autoclave, and resin transfer molding process. along with the capital equipment there was a need to find an purchase carbon fiber, fiberglass, an many other materials for the R&D facility.
2. Manager for relocation of Huntsman Advanced Materials laboratories from Brewster New York and Los Angeles to the Woodlands Texas. Extensively work with vendors for the move and suppliers for lab materials and equipment. The new laboratory for advanced Materials opened in August 2005.
3. Worked on many capital equipment purchases for the new Multiwire manufacturing facilities that opened in Hicksville Long Island in 1984. Capital Equipment included wet processing for metal etching, photoresist development and stripping, electroplating for copper, tin/lead, nickel&gold, soldering equipment, and other support equipment.
| Expert has worked with Marketing to identify and define key projects that addresses the needs of the composite industries such as aerospace, sports, wind, automotive, and other industrial applications. Wrote product development requests and develop product profiles for such projects as high temperature applications, out of autoclave prepreg resins, fast cure profiles for automotive, 2nd generation epoxy resins for aerospace applications, and resin system with enhanced mechanical properties including toughening requirements.
Expert has worked to developed materials for the PWB application in the electronic industry that meets the needs of the current treds in the industry such as
1. Lead-free applications which means replacing tin/lead solders with alternate tin soldering compounds.
|Other Relevant Experience|
| Expert has joined with Phil Anderson to form a consulting called Part Consulting. He has more than 25 years experience in the chemical manufacturing sector in both the USA and abroad. His varied career has lead to an expertise in vast array of chemical manufacturing and support areas. He has been involved in several multi-million dollar business expansions and due diligence assessments of various acquisitions. His experience encompasses Process Development, Quality Assurance, Regulatory Compliance, Product Management and Environment/Health/Safety.