Expert in Wireless Devices, Global Standards, and Wireless Networks
Expert's many years of wireless networking includes WPANs, WLANs, and WWANs. The networking protocols range from proprietary to IETF's Internet Protocol (IP). His extensive experience also incorporates international standards, including their development.
Accordingly, expert has a good working knowledge of the following industry standards: IEEE 802.1, IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet), IEEE 802.11 (WiFi), IEEE 802.15.4 (ZigBee, Thread, Wireless HART, ISA100.11a, etc.), IEEE 802.16 (WiMAX), IETF (6LoWPAN, ), 3GPP NB-IoT, numerous IEC/ISO standards, and other technology standards
Expert has experience as an expert witness, factual witness, and researcher in legal matters.
Principal technology consultant providing direction, scope and technical guidance to companies ranging from startups through Global 500 corporations on wireless network technologies, communication architecture, standards, and market intelligence. Specializing in portable network solutions and wireless technology that utilizes current and emerging standards.
• Extensive experience and active involvement in driving standards development and industry forums including:
• IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers):
• Vice-Chair of 802.15 Wireless Personal Area Network Standards
• Chair of Next Generation and Maintenance Standing Committees
• Task Group chair responsible for developing new standards including IEEE Std 802.15.4
• ISA (International Society of Automation):
• Co-Chair of ISA100 Wireless Systems for Automation
• Co-Chair and Chief Editor of ISA100.11a industrial wireless standard work group,
• Co-Chair of ISA100 Common Network Management Work Group
• IETF: (Internet Engineering Task Force)
• Wireless networking for constrained devices: 6tisch, CoAP, CoMI, 6lo, CoRE, ACE
• ZigBee (Alliance promoting a standard for low power wireless networks)
• Chair responsible for developing ZigBee gateways
• Providing expertise in Wireless LANs, Wireless PANs, RFIDs, and cellular technologies
• RF design techniques such as Narrow Band, Spread Spectrum, Frequency Hopping, Ultra Wide Band
• Review design of RFICs, Modules, Reference designs, etc.
• Communication System design and evaluation
• Design and optimization of Wireless Networks
• System design of Radio Frequency Identification devices (RFID) including Active, Passive, and Semi-Passive
• Providing expertise in applications such as Smart Metering, Building Automation, Industrial Automation, Sensor Monitoring, and Internet of Things (IoT)
• Smart Metering
• Technologies such as IEEE Std 802.15.4g, IEEE P2030.5, Mesh Networks, Roll, RPL, LoRa™, etc.
• Demand Response, Advanced Metering Infrastructure
• Building Automation
• Technologies such as ZigBee BAS, WiFi, Self-Healing Mesh Networks, Bridging, IPv6
• Lighting Control Systems including Daylight Harvesting and Occupancy Detection, BACnet, HVAC, etc.
• Industrial Automation
• Technologies such as IEC 62591, IEC 62601, IEC 62734, ISA100.11a, Mesh, TSCH, etc.
• Process Automation, Factory Automation, Backhaul, Network Managers, etc.
• Sensor Monitoring
• Motes, IEEE 802.15.4, WISN, etc.
• Internet of Things (IoT)
• Technologies and organizations such as LoRa™, SigFox, Thread©, ZigBee, IEEE 802.15.4, IEEE P2413, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), etc.
• Providing clients with services such as:
• Assist clients in Standards activities, developing marketing strategies and building alliance partnerships
• Facilitate the creation of a technical strategy and a technology roadmap and assist in identifying relevant areas for new products and product enhancements
• Expert witness (also Factual witness) of wireless litigation including generating Expert Reports
• Interface with a company’s perspective customers throughout contract negotiation, program development and product support
• Work with marketing in the technical and economic analysis/assessment of competitive technologies and companies in the telecommunications related industry
• Liaison with venture capitalists
• Member of corporate technology advisory boards
Expert may consult nationally and internationally, and is also local to the following cities: Chicago, Illinois - Rockford, Illinois - Aurora, Illinois - Naperville, Illinois - Joliet, Illinois - Elgin, Illinois - South Bend, Indiana - Gary, Indiana - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Madison, Wisconsin
|Year: 1976||Degree: BSEE||Subject: Electrical Engineering||Institution: University of Notre Dame|
|Years: 2002 to Present||Employer: Undisclosed||Title: Principal Consultant||Department:||Responsibilities: Provide direction, scope and technical guidance to companies ranging from startups through Global 500 corporations on wireless network technologies, communication architecture, standards, and market intelligence.
Specializing in portable network solutions and wireless technology that utilizes current and emerging standards.
|Years: 2001 to 2002||Employer: Invensys Metering Systems||Title: Vice President||Department: Communications Technology||Responsibilities: Responsible for:
• Corporate strategic direction for wireless communication opportunities
* Forecasting and tracking of the communication budgets
• Oversee program plans
• Personnel reviews and supervision of subordinate managers
* Contractual interface to OEM vendors
* Regulatory strategy for U.S. and International markets
• Reorganized the RF development team and created a productive and valuable asset to overall company strategic plans
• Instrumental in supplying a vision of data communications to the corporate strategy by consolidating several individual wireless initiatives throughout the various companies of Invensys
• Key participant in standards developments critical for strategic growth
|Years: 1992 to 2001||Employer: Intermec Technologies Corporation||Title: Director||Department: RF and RFID module development||Responsibilities: Responsible for:
* Corporate strategic direction for wireless communication opportunities
• Standards development, tracking and overview
• RFID architectural chair
* Generation of program plans
* Forecasting and tracking for all RF modem program budgets
* Technical lead for engineering development teams
* Personal reviews and supervision of subordinates
* Contractual interface to OEM vendors
* Regulatory advisory for U.S. and International markets
|Associations / Societies|
IETF: Active member of work groups focused upon wireless networks and network management
|Publications and Patents Summary|
|Expert is cited as inventor for 22 patents in communication technology such as device and network design inventions.|